Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone have a board stretcher?

I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/24/2014 12:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

I was going to get one, but never got the round tuit needed first...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2014 12:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

Actually it can be done. Cut diagonally from on end to the other. Now
place the pieces together along that cut line and move the ends in and
out according to how long you need them to be. Naturally the result
will be narrower as you lengthen the piece so cut wide enough to begin
with. And you will have to glue the pieces back together.

I have made a board longer on occasion using this method.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2014 2:17 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/24/2014 12:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

Actually it can be done. Cut diagonally from on end to the other. Now
place the pieces together along that cut line and move the ends in and
out according to how long you need them to be. Naturally the result
will be narrower as you lengthen the piece so cut wide enough to begin
with. And you will have to glue the pieces back together.

I have made a board longer on occasion using this method.

Thanks but I need the width that exists, I was going to enhance it a
little with edging... I don't want to enlarge the edging on the other
piece. Just have to dig out a new sheet. All these offcuts, and nothing
fits the bill.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2014 1:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

I sent my kid brother out to get one for a project we were working on
about thirty years ago. You can borrow it when he gets back...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:03:33 -0400, Larry Kraus
wrote:

On 4/24/2014 1:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

I sent my kid brother out to get one for a project we were working on
about thirty years ago. You can borrow it when he gets back...

He'll need a few yards of shore line to drag it home, after he finds
the keys for the oar locks to unlock it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:58:19 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

No, no, you don't want a board stretcher. Use a negative kerf saw
blade. It works for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way,
so it's too short in the direction I need...

I usually end up with scrap plywood offcuts like that when I finish a
project. I store them away and usually find a use for them where I can cut
them into smaller pieces with the grain running the right direction.

Then, I buy a new sheet for the current project, and add any cutoffs to my
collection.

On the other hand, if it's not located in a visible area, or carrying a
load like shelving, the grain direction isn't all that critical. I've used
scrap plywood as drawer bottoms with the grain going the wrong direction,
no problems at all. I've also used incorrectly oriented plywood where it's
hidden by drawers or other parts of the project.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2014 11:02 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

The grain direction for me is simply for looks. It would really look off
to be facing he other way.

If building a shop thing, and strength is not the issue, I will use it
the wrong way.. as I will be the only one noticing...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/2014 10:58 AM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

I don't have a linear stretcher, but here is a device that will help all
you turners out there (except maybe Ted):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=736730283023858

Have fun.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/24/2014 1:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

I sent my kid brother out to get one for a project we were working on
about thirty years ago. You can borrow it when he gets back...

He'll need a few yards of shore line to drag it home, after he finds
the keys for the oar locks to unlock it.

Are you kidding. He's still sitting at the end of the driveway because he's
out of blinker fluid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
woodchucker wrote:
On 4/24/2014 2:17 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/24/2014 12:58 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

Actually it can be done. Cut diagonally from on end to the other. Now
place the pieces together along that cut line and move the ends in and
out according to how long you need them to be. Naturally the result
will be narrower as you lengthen the piece so cut wide enough to begin
with. And you will have to glue the pieces back together.

I have made a board longer on occasion using this method.

Thanks but I need the width that exists, I was going to enhance it a
little with edging... I don't want to enlarge the edging on the other
piece. Just have to dig out a new sheet. All these offcuts, and nothing
fits the bill.

If you can use a thinner board, resaw what you have and scarf the
2 resulting planks together.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/24/14 11:58 AM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

Great new product:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-the-scrap-bin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2014 10:37 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 4/24/14 11:58 AM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

Great new product:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-the-scrap-bin

haha... I remember that I think last years april fools...

I was waiting for him to crack a smile... but he did a great job selling it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2014 10:41 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/26/2014 10:37 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 4/24/14 11:58 AM, woodchucker wrote:
I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too
short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

Great new product:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-the-scrap-bin

haha... I remember that I think last years april fools...

I was waiting for him to crack a smile... but he did a great job selling
it.

He would probably be a good candidate as a user. He mentioned a few
times that the product will let you stretch the board up to 20%.
With his math skills he may use a lot of it since he wanted to stretch
his board 25%. ;~)