Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DeWalt #705 12" CMS at Costco

On Tuesday, May 12, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Andy Audette wrote:
costco is not an authorized dewalt dealer, so if you buy any dewalt tool
you should watch yourself, for warranty reasons, and exchange polocies,
etc. they buy tools elseware and sell them for uder what they pay in
order to get you in the door.

ROTFLMAO
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/14, 2:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 1:35 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Andy Audette wrote:
costco is not an authorized dewalt dealer, so if you buy any
dewalt tool you should watch yourself, for warranty reasons, and
exchange polocies, etc. they buy tools elseware and sell them for
uder what they pay in order to get you in the door.

ROTFLMAO

You might be surprised that these type stores, Sam's Club, Cosco, are
not authorized dealers for much of anything. For the most part you
are on your own for warranty repairs on most every thing that they
sell, unless you buy their service contract.

You buy it from those stores and it is up to you and the manufacturer
to remedy any problems. If I buy from either I expect to handle any
problems with the product on my own. Been there, done that.

Most tool companies don't give a crap where you bought their tool if
it's new-in-the box.
When you register it with their warranty department, as long as you have
a receipt showing it was bought new, they will register the warranty. I
bought a new-in-box saw at a flea market once and the company honored
the purchase.

But more specific to the topic, ALL Dewalt tools purchased at ANY
retailer, including Costco and Sams, are covered under Dewalts
warranties, according to their customer service. More old wives tales,
as is par for the course in here.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 4:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Most tool companies don't give a crap where you bought their tool if
it's new-in-the box.
When you register it with their warranty department, as long as you have
a receipt showing it was bought new, they will register the warranty. I
bought a new-in-box saw at a flea market once and the company honored
the purchase.

But more specific to the topic, ALL Dewalt tools purchased at ANY
retailer, including Costco and Sams, are covered under Dewalts
warranties, according to their customer service. More old wives tales,
as is par for the course in here.

EXACTLY! To add, Costco will provide a full refund for ANY merchandise
purchased from them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 3:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/29/14, 2:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 1:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

You are exactly right and in case I was not clear, I was referring to
the retailer having no more to do with the warranty repair to remedy the
problem. From an authorized dealer you might be able to exchange a
defective product for a few days or weeks and they will return it to the
factory.

You still get your warranty regardless of where you bought it but you
may have to return it to the authorized repair facility rather than
simply back to where you bought it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 4:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Most tool companies don't give a crap where you bought their tool if
it's new-in-the box.
When you register it with their warranty department, as long as you have
a receipt showing it was bought new, they will register the warranty. I
bought a new-in-box saw at a flea market once and the company honored
the purchase.

But more specific to the topic, ALL Dewalt tools purchased at ANY
retailer, including Costco and Sams, are covered under Dewalts
warranties, according to their customer service. More old wives tales,
as is par for the course in here.

EXACTLY! To add, Costco will provide a full refund for ANY merchandise
purchased from them.

For how long?

For some items like TV and electronics, 90 days is the most that I've
ever seen for a full refund, and then it may vary from store to store
despite what they say.

I'm thinking that a few readers misread/misinterpreted what you said in
your post?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 4:01 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:19:49 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/29/2014 1:35 PM,
wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Andy Audette wrote:
costco is not an authorized dewalt dealer, so if you buy any dewalt tool
you should watch yourself, for warranty reasons, and exchange polocies,
etc. they buy tools elseware and sell them for uder what they pay in
order to get you in the door.

ROTFLMAO

You might be surprised that these type stores, Sam's Club, Cosco, are
not authorized dealers for much of anything. For the most part you are
on your own for warranty repairs on most every thing that they sell,
unless you buy their service contract.

I don't remember a manufacturer asking me where I bought something,
other than for marketing reasons (I don't answer).

That is correct and FWIW you don't even have to register the product to
have it repaired under warranty, you just have to have some date of
reference of when it was purchased.

But if I am buying something that would be difficult for me to return to
an authorized repair facility for warranty repairs I am not buying it
from a store that does not get involved in the process.

There are certain things that one expects the retailer to take care of
with in a reasonable period of time. If the retailer refers me to the
manufacturer I buy it elsewhere.

You buy it from those stores and it is up to you and the manufacturer to
remedy any problems. If I buy from either I expect to handle any
problems with the product on my own. Been there, done that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 4:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

I think so too. LOL My experience with Sam's is that we bought a
couple of wooden armed office chairs on rollers. One of the legs ends,
at the location of one of the four rollers, split. This was 6~8 weeks
after buying. A clear cut defect. Sam's remedy was to contact the
manufacturer. The manufacturers remedy was for me to box up the chair
and ship it to them. My remedy was to make the repair myself and
consider it a lesson learned.

Had I bought the chairs at Star or Fingers the remedy at worst would
have been for me to return it to the store that I bought it, not ship it
back to the manufacturer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/14, 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 3:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/29/14, 2:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 1:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't know about Sams Club, but Costco will pretty much replace and
take returns on anything you ever bought there. I know they have certain
time limits in their policies, but I also know they are extremely
liberal when it comes returns/exchanges after those times have expired.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 4:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Most tool companies don't give a crap where you bought their tool
if it's new-in-the box. When you register it with their warranty
department, as long as you have a receipt showing it was bought
new, they will register the warranty. I bought a new-in-box saw
at a flea market once and the company honored the purchase.

But more specific to the topic, ALL Dewalt tools purchased at
ANY retailer, including Costco and Sams, are covered under
Dewalts warranties, according to their customer service. More
old wives tales, as is par for the course in here.

EXACTLY! To add, Costco will provide a full refund for ANY
merchandise purchased from them.

For how long?

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full
refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a
refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders,
touchscreen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones."

Other than those things, you can return an item at any time, for any
reason. Now, I'm pretty sure they'd cancel membership of someone who
continually abused that policy.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not that this isn't full of good information, but you guy do know that you are responding to a 16 (SIXTEEN) year old thread, right?

Good stuff, but just wondering.

Personally, I have found the way to handle Sam's is to buy their nasty cheap in store warranty. I had a monitor fail after about 9 months, and my $5 warranty got me an in store exchange which turned out to be an upgrade. I had a DVD player fail in about 6 months, same result.

The premiums are sliding scale of course, but all the items I have purchased with that warranty stipulate in store replacement.

Heh heh... 16 years old...

Nothing dies on the internet!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 4:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

I'm really surprised. Sams/Walmart's deal with manufacturers is that
they take everything back, no questions asked. I'm told, by an
electronics manufacturer that the deal is so one-sided, he would even
have to "take a truckload of lawnmowers back".

AIUI, all of the big box stores are similar.

Had I bought the chairs at Star or Fingers the remedy at worst would
have been for me to return it to the store that I bought it, not ship it
back to the manufacturer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in
:

On 1/29/2014 4:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

I can verify they are very liberal with their return policies.
I purchased a home security camera system online from them and
the "special" was they would double the warranty making it 2
years.

15 months after purchase it died. I took it back and had a no
questions asked refund credited to my Amex in about 10
minutes. No original box, no receipt. They even looked it up
in my history to find the purchase date.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2014 7:28 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I know that is true of Home Depot - and I would assume the same with Lowe's.

Are Home Depot and Lowes not "authorized dealers" of tools like DeWalt?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 1/30/2014 7:28 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I know that is true of Home Depot - and I would assume the same with
Lowe's.

Are Home Depot and Lowes not "authorized dealers" of tools like
DeWalt?

I think you missed my point Karl. Was just saying that I knew HD adheres to
the same policy and I would guess that Lowe's does too. See below for the
original unsnipped content... Has nothing to do with authorized dealers.
Sorry if I created a misunderstanding.

I'm really surprised. Sams/Walmart's deal with manufacturers is that
they take everything back, no questions asked. I'm told, by an
electronics manufacturer that the deal is so one-sided, he would even
have to "take a truckload of lawnmowers back".

AIUI, all of the big box stores are similar.

Had I bought the chairs at Star or Fingers the remedy at worst would
have been for me to return it to the store that I bought it, not
ship it back to the manufacturer.

I know that is true of Home Depot - and I would assume the same with Lowe's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I think you missed my point Karl. Was just saying that I knew HD adheres to
the same policy and I would guess that Lowe's does too. See below for the
original unsnipped content... Has nothing to do with authorized dealers.
Sorry if I created a misunderstanding.

Nope, the point that seems to have been missed was that Leon's comment,
about returns and warranty work, had everything to do with "authorized
dealers".

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/14, 8:38 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Costco is also proof that raising the minimum wage doesn't hurt
business (probably improves it, in fact).

scott

Not to get into a political debate, but, well.... here I go.....

I would argue the opposite. Costco is actually proof that the free
market works.
Costco pays higher than average wages for those positions and that's why
you never know which employee at Costco is the manager. They all act
like they are manager. They are all proactive, hard working, take
charge people who take pride in their work and put customer service at
the top of the priority list.

Costco gets these kind of employees by paying higher than average wage.
Everyone wants those jobs, so Costco gets to skim the cream of the crop
and send the rest to WalMart.

If Costco paid minimum wage, shopping there would be like shopping at
WalMart. A lot of lazy people with poor communication skills and bad
personalities, doing the bare minimum to get by, who act like you're
ruining their day for shopping there. The store would be dirty, the
shelves would be disorganized, it would take 10x as long to get through
their checkout lines, etc, etc.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart" and
Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2014 10:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I have to agree with that. It's because they pay more that people know
that they have a better job and work harder.. And they work harder to
get there.

Leveling everyone to that same money would be slighting the Costco
employees who are doing a better job for that money.

Just because everyone would make more, does not make them better off.
Prices would go up, and those that were making more, now need more to
re-enforce that they are worth more.

If everyone's pay went down by 1/2 then things would cost less.. right?
That's how come it's cheaper made in China and India right now.

So raising it, has the reverse effect.

NJ is an F'd up state approving cost of living increases for min wage.
This will severly hurt the state, as business can not budget correctly.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2014 9:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Exactly! The only thing that raising minimum wage goes is raise the pay
to those that that make minimum wage to begin with. For 90% of the
people making minimum wage the productivity will not increase when they
get their raise. When that happens, prices have to rise to offset the
wage increase and you get inflation.

Keep the friggin government out of the economy and the economy will do
just fine.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart" and
Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

Actually a lot of people pay for the Bulk Walmart membership, at Sam's. ;!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/14, 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 9:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Most Union contracts use minimum wage as the baseline. So when minimum
wage goes up, so does the entire union workforce which raises the price
of all that stuff, too.

Keep the friggin government out of the economy and the economy will
do just fine.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart"
and Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

Actually a lot of people pay for the Bulk Walmart membership, at
Sam's. ;!)

We were there.... and switched to Costco. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:
Not that this isn't full of good information, but you guy do know that
you are responding to a 16 (SIXTEEN) year old thread, right?

Good stuff, but just wondering.

Personally, I have found the way to handle Sam's is to buy their nasty
cheap in store warranty. I had a monitor fail after about 9 months, and
my $5 warranty got me an in store exchange which turned out to be an
upgrade. I had a DVD player fail in about 6 months, same result.

The premiums are sliding scale of course, but all the items I have
purchased with that warranty stipulate in store replacement.

Heh heh... 16 years old...

Nothing dies on the internet!

Robert

I have no idea that DeWalt made CMS's 16 years ago. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 21:22:39 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/31/14, 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 9:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

All it means is that there will be fewer "shovel ready jobs".

Keep the friggin government out of the economy and the economy will
do just fine.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart"
and Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

Actually a lot of people pay for the Bulk Walmart membership, at
Sam's. ;!)

We were there.... and switched to Costco. :-)

No Costco here but there is a BJs. Sams is much better. We had a
Costco membership when we were in VT. We let it lapse because we were
no longer using it (when the switched to the Kirkland brand and their
tire inventory went way down).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2014 5:19 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

What makes Sam's better? Last time I was in one was many years ago
but go to BJ's regularly. No Costco near here.

I"m also interested in what people have to say. I quit subscribing to any
of those many years ago because I just did not see the savings in being a
member. We are only on the threshold of seeing our first Costco in the
Syracuse area so maybe that will change that landscape, but until now - it
just never paid off for us to buy a membership in Sam's or BJ's.

I see a lot of savings. Boneless pork loin at BJs is $2 a pound, at the
supermarket it is $4.50+ Saving $15 a month Butter is $2 cheaper.
Dishwasher detergent is half the supermarket price. Generic OTC drugs
very cheap. Some items less so, but we save quite a bit monthly.

Certain items I don't buy there because we don't use enough to justify
the larger containers.