DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Roy Underhill (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/362681-roy-underhill.html)

Michael[_24_] October 5th 13 04:56 PM

Roy Underhill

"There's no prying in woodworking."

"Don't pull the draw knife too far. That's what happened to my half-brother."

Sonny October 5th 13 07:11 PM

Roy Underhill

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 10:56:59 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
"There's no prying in woodworking." "Don't pull the draw knife too far. That's what happened to my half-brother."

Those are great. I enjoyed his recounting the virtues of Amish ingenuity, specifically using running water as a source of power for their woodworking "engines". They were so efficient at using the running water, by the time the water left the shop, the water was dry.

Sonny

[email protected] October 6th 13 12:48 AM

Roy Underhill

"Don't pull the draw knife too far. That's what happened to my half-brother."

I used a similar line when I was demonstrating my shaving horse.

I later told Roy that I'd stole one of his jokes.

He told me that there are 28 woodworking jokes, and that's one of them.

Michael[_24_] October 6th 13 01:44 PM

Roy Underhill

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 6:48:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
"Don't pull the draw knife too far. That's what happened to my half-brother."

I used a similar line when I was demonstrating my shaving horse.

I later told Roy that I'd stole one of his jokes.

He told me that there are 28 woodworking jokes, and that's one of them.

I'd love to hear the other 27!

[email protected] October 7th 13 02:19 AM

Roy Underhill

On Sunday, October 6, 2013 8:44:29 AM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
On Saturday, October 5, 2013 6:48:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:

"Don't pull the draw knife too far. That's what happened to my half-brother."

I used a similar line when I was demonstrating my shaving horse.

I later told Roy that I'd stole one of his jokes.

He told me that there are 28 woodworking jokes, and that's one of them.

I'd love to hear the other 27!

At least two:

1) I think he wrote that when lumber mills with large circular blades displaced pit sawing, they took the old pits, cut them up, and sold them for post holes.

2) If you're using an eggbeater drill or a brace and bit, if you turn the handle backwards - you end up adding wood.

Yeah, I know it's corny .....