Old April 24th 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default what is the value of a sears craftsman10 inch radial arm sawmodel no. 113.29411

On 4/24/2018 9:21 AM, Markem wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:07:48 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote in
:

That a government agency attempts to intimidate people with
threats does not mean that the threats have any substance.
Read the law and it's on about "the manufacturer or any
distributor or retailer of the product".

I did read the law, and I didn't see anything like that at all.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/2068

Looks pretty clear to me that it applies to individuals as well;
where did you see language that restricts that prohibition to
manufacturers, distributors, and retailers?

[...] If the matter really concerns you then pay a lawyer to
look into it. It will cost you more than the value of the saw
though.

Actually, I have a lawyer looking into it right now. It won't
cost me anything, though, as the lawyer is my son.

I did a search of the US Code on the keyword "recall" IIRC.

I did that too, and all I found was the statement that it's
unlawful for "any person" to sell any consumer product that's been
the subject of a recall.

Wow! Makes one think twice about an individual selling a vehicle to
another individual. Having worked in the automotive industry for many
years I can tell you that most any vehicle that you can point at has or
will be the subject of a recall.

Air Bags, just got the Ranger's changed.

LOL just to name the obvious one.. I do not know how much has changed
since I worked at a dealership but it was not unusual for a vehicle to
have 2~3 outstanding campaigns/recalls when one drove up on the service
drive. Oldsmobile was pretty serious about the dealers checking for
outstanding campaigns on every Olds that came in for service, this is
whether the customer knew about a recall or not.

I recall the first year that the Ford Probe was introduced it had 50+
items that had to be checked and or corrected before the dealers could
sell them. Talk about rushing a product to market before checking all
the safety boxes.

Old April 25th 18, 01:21 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

The Takata airbag *inflator* recall (massively mistakenly referred to as
an airbag recall) caused similar issues for many used car dealers.

If someone traded in a vehicle that needed the inflator replaced, they
couldn't resell it, even at auction, until the part was replaced. For a
long time, inflators were in such short supply that even live customers
had to wait for parts to come in. Customer owned vehicles jumped ahead
of used cars.

We were all set to buy a used Honda from a local dealer, but they couldn't
get an inflator for it, even after we waited three weeks. We eventually
moved on to different dealer that had the same model that had been
traded in *after* the inflator had been replaced, so that dealer turned
the vehicle around just about as quickly as it took to clean it up for us.

Old April 25th 18, 04:31 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

Yes this infiltrator issue is out of hand and being handled incorrectly.
The company that makes them went bankrupt. But IIRC is reorganizing
and building new parts, but not fast enough. This is where
manufacturers should pitch in go together to build a plant to take up
the slack.

Then again the odds of being killed with an infiltrator going off pales
compared to other causes of automotive deaths. Remember the Firestone
fiasco a few decades ago?
Old April 25th 18, 07:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

There is a another current fiasco building up regarding tires for
motor homes that have been failing prematurely for many years.
By Goodyear who have been in constant denial.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...res/997330001/
Old April 25th 18, 01:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

That might a tough one.. Since the investigation covers tires 15 to 22
years ago it may be blamed on dry rot. Some manufacturers do not
warrant their tires past 6~7 years just because of that. I recently had
a set of Michelin tires, on my truck , replaced under warranty because I
was not driving them enough to wear them out. After 5 years they had
PLENTY OF tread but were beginning to show checking on the sidewalls.

Motor homes will be a dicey situation since few really get driven enough
to wear the tires out. Veeeeery interesting.

Looking back on Firestone, IIRC the main/majority of the failures were
happening in the middle east where the tires on SUV's were being run
under-inflated to get extra traction while frolicking in the sand dunes.
They went back to the high speeds on the highways to go back home and
the under inflated tires over heated.

Old April 25th 18, 09:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

Really?!?

Outstanding, here in calif they just tell you the tires are outdated
and that legally you have to change them so you won't be held liable
in an accident. They will not service your tires if outdated. My last
set of tires on the MH were Michelin, they type you can cut new treads
into when the originals were getting close to bald. Now I feel like I
totally got screwed.

Motor homes will be a dicey situation since few really get driven enough
to wear the tires out. Veeeeery interesting.

Looking back on Firestone, IIRC the main/majority of the failures were
happening in the middle east where the tires on SUV's were being run
under-inflated to get extra traction while frolicking in the sand dunes.
They went back to the high speeds on the highways to go back home and
the under inflated tires over heated.

I had some replaced by Firestone when they were recalling them. It was
nice, new tires for old.
Old April 25th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon [email protected] wrote:

Looking back on Firestone, IIRC the main/majority of the failures were
happening in the middle east where the tires on SUV's were being run
under-inflated to get extra traction while frolicking in the sand dunes.
They went back to the high speeds on the highways to go back home and
the under inflated tires over heated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firest...y#cite_note-52

"271 people were killed and 823 people were injured in the United
States as a result of these failures. The large majority of accidents
took place in California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. An additional
46 people were killed in Venezuela."

https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/announc...ne/Update.html
http://money.cnn.com/2000/08/09/news/firestone_recall/
http://articles.latimes.com/2000/sep...iness/fi-15560

Old April 26th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
J. Clarke wrote in
:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote in
:

[...]

Yes. My local tire store, Discount Store" was not going to do anything
but MY call directly to Michelin settled the issue. They contacted that
store and authorized them to prorate the tires.

Outstanding, here in calif they just tell you the tires are outdated
and that legally you have to change them so you won't be held liable
in an accident.

Mine were still within the time limits of the warranty.

They will not service your tires if outdated. My last
set of tires on the MH were Michelin, they type you can cut new treads
into when the originals were getting close to bald. Now I feel like I
totally got screwed.

Well in normal circumstances if you drove a LOT you would probably be
able to take advantage of regrooving the tires.

Yeah they will not check the pressure in my spare tire.... I need to do
that, 10 years old...

Motor homes will be a dicey situation since few really get driven enough
to wear the tires out. Veeeeery interesting.

Looking back on Firestone, IIRC the main/majority of the failures were
happening in the middle east where the tires on SUV's were being run
under-inflated to get extra traction while frolicking in the sand dunes.
They went back to the high speeds on the highways to go back home and
the under inflated tires over heated.

I had some replaced by Firestone when they were recalling them. It was
nice, new tires for old.

Yeah!
Old July 24th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 1:44:02 PM UTC-7, Sandra wrote:
replying to athiker , Sandra wrote:
athiker wrote:

There was a recall on Sears radial saws. Check the site below and if
your saw is included you get $100 for returning the motor & carriage.
Shipping is free.
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

thank you for the information..

--