DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Interesting saw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/362396-interesting-saw.html)

woodchucker[_3_] September 26th 13 02:21 AM

Interesting saw

Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

--
Jeff

Gramps' shop September 26th 13 02:51 AM

Interesting saw

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:21:17 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

--

Jeff

That looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Larry

Lew Hodgett[_6_] September 26th 13 03:45 AM

Interesting saw

woodchucker wrote:

Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

Had an uncle who built one very similar to that to fit a 1938 John
Deere.

Lew

Leon[_7_] September 26th 13 04:26 AM

Interesting saw

On 9/25/2013 8:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

I once saw a video from south of the USA border where a guy, "an
artist", did a similar thing to carve wood, not just cut it in half.
Scarey!

[email protected] September 26th 13 05:04 AM

Interesting saw

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:26:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/25/2013 8:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

I once saw a video from south of the USA border where a guy, "an
artist", did a similar thing to carve wood, not just cut it in half.
Scarey!

I cut a LOT of elm with a similar saw back on the farm in the late
sixties - ours was flat belt driven off the pulley of the 1949 Massey
Harris 44 - it would cut wood all day running at idle on a gallon or
two of gas. OSHA would have a BIRD today!!! No guards on the blade or
the belt

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 26th 13 11:16 AM

Interesting saw

wrote:

On 9/25/2013 8:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

I once saw a video from south of the USA border where a guy, "an
artist", did a similar thing to carve wood, not just cut it in half.
Scarey!

I cut a LOT of elm with a similar saw back on the farm in the late
sixties - ours was flat belt driven off the pulley of the 1949 Massey
Harris 44 - it would cut wood all day running at idle on a gallon or
two of gas. OSHA would have a BIRD today!!! No guards on the blade or
the belt

Likewise, we had one that we ran off an 8N Ford. Everybody had one back
then. Don't recall hearing of accidents with them, though looking back,
it's almost amazing you didn't.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] September 26th 13 11:25 AM

Interesting saw

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 06:16:17 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Likewise, we had one that we ran off an 8N Ford. Everybody had one back
then. Don't recall hearing of accidents with them, though looking back,
it's almost amazing you didn't.

Back then, communications weren't near as rampant as they are today.
Also people were more liable to keep their problems, deaths, injuries,
whatever within their own specific communities. At least, that's the
way it was in the communities I lived in.

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 26th 13 12:01 PM

Interesting saw

wrote:
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 06:16:17 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Likewise, we had one that we ran off an 8N Ford. Everybody had one
back then. Don't recall hearing of accidents with them, though
looking back, it's almost amazing you didn't.

Back then, communications weren't near as rampant as they are today.
Also people were more liable to keep their problems, deaths, injuries,
whatever within their own specific communities. At least, that's the
way it was in the communities I lived in.

Well - communitites were a lot tighter then - albeit, larger than the micro
communities of today. Farmers knew each other, their daily goings-on, etc.
Local communications were quite quick and spread throughout the "community".
When someone got hurt, everyone knew it within the day, and as was the
course, neighbors rose to helping out. People may have kept personal issues
to themselves more than the idiot Facebook mentality of today, but that was
not true of events such as farming accidents, deaths, etc. You had the
communications between neighbors, but you also had the "network" which
consisted of "carriers" such as the milk truck driver, etc. that got the
word spread quite widely, quite quickly. Indeed - if accidents did happen
on the farm, everybody around knew about it very quickly.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] September 26th 13 12:50 PM

Interesting saw

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:01:01 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

[...]

And don't forget the best tella-communication on the planet -
Tella-woman. The old gossip-mills were every bit as effective as
Facebook in spreading the word - whether it be a farm accident,
someone's cattle getting out, a sick cow, a "new arrival" or whatever.
The "party line" and "rubberin" that went along with them made sure
there were few secrets.

[email protected] September 26th 13 01:28 PM

Interesting saw

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:01:01 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
consisted of "carriers" such as the milk truck driver, etc. that got the
word spread quite widely, quite quickly. Indeed - if accidents did happen
on the farm, everybody around knew about it very quickly.

Serious accident's, sure. Losing a finger or cut that required a
number of stitches, not so much, at least not in the community I lived
in. But then, I've always been a city boy and maybe that type of
atmosphere leads people to be more isolated than the open farm
community towns where everyone knows everyone because there were a
limited number of people to know and you came across everyone on a
regular basis.

Lee Michaels[_3_] September 26th 13 02:32 PM

Interesting saw

"woodchucker" wrote ...
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

We had a bigger saw like this on our tractor growing up. It was on the
front of a massy Ferguson tractor. It was on the loader and could be raised
and lowered. It was driven by a big canvas belt that was powered by a power
take off wheel on the side of the tractor. Yep, our tractor came with the
ability to drive equipment with canvas belts. Just like the old water wheel
and steam engine factories. Only this was portable.

Talk about bridging to eras/technologies. Brings back memories. (codespeak
for I am an old fart)

[email protected] September 26th 13 03:51 PM

Interesting saw

Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

I once saw a video from south of the USA border where a guy, "an
artist", did a similar thing to carve wood, not just cut it in half.
Scarey!

I cut a LOT of elm with a similar saw back on the farm in the late
sixties - ours was flat belt driven off the pulley of the 1949 Massey
Harris 44 - it would cut wood all day running at idle on a gallon or
two of gas. OSHA would have a BIRD today!!! No guards on the blade or
the belt

When I was a kid - our neighbour used a 1928 Durant
to power their saw. What's left of the old car, sits today,
in our fenceline.
John T.

Bill[_31_] September 26th 13 04:11 PM

Interesting saw

On 9/26/2013 7:01 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
[...]

"church" played a central role in "the community" too. The cost of not
belonging to it seem high. That institution is interestingly-related to
the "history of music" too (as everyone in here, except maybe one
person, knows).

SonomaProducts.com September 26th 13 06:29 PM

Interesting saw

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:21:17 PM UTC-7, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

--

Jeff

I think this model is branded "Life Stop"

Just Wondering September 26th 13 08:55 PM

Interesting saw

On 9/25/2013 7:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

That gives a whole new meaning to "scary sharp"!

[email protected] September 26th 13 09:27 PM

Interesting saw

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:51:33 -0400, wrote:

Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

I once saw a video from south of the USA border where a guy, "an
artist", did a similar thing to carve wood, not just cut it in half.
Scarey!

I cut a LOT of elm with a similar saw back on the farm in the late
sixties - ours was flat belt driven off the pulley of the 1949 Massey
Harris 44 - it would cut wood all day running at idle on a gallon or
two of gas. OSHA would have a BIRD today!!! No guards on the blade or
the belt

When I was a kid - our neighbour used a 1928 Durant
to power their saw. What's left of the old car, sits today,
in our fenceline.
John T.

My dad farmed with an old Buick straight eight with a Leyland truck
transmission and differential behind the buick, and big truck tires a
4 cyl Durant "star" engine sat crosswize across the back with a pulley
on the end of the transmission to provide "belt power"

[email protected] September 26th 13 10:47 PM

Interesting saw

[...]

Wow ! Those straight 8's were big old thinigs -
our other neighbour had a '47 Buick ..
I'm pretty sure that the neighbour who used the Durant
to power the buzz saw - went through the clutch & tranny
and through the differential ? to a home made belt drive.
John T.

Greg Guarino[_2_] September 29th 13 01:05 PM

Interesting saw

On 9/25/2013 9:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

The guy moonlights as a magician.

scritch October 2nd 13 01:31 AM

Interesting saw

wrote:

On 9/25/2013 8:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKcyKxu7aQ

I once saw a video from south of the USA border where a guy, "an
artist", did a similar thing to carve wood, not just cut it in half.
Scarey!

I cut a LOT of elm with a similar saw back on the farm in the late
sixties - ours was flat belt driven off the pulley of the 1949 Massey
Harris 44 - it would cut wood all day running at idle on a gallon or
two of gas. OSHA would have a BIRD today!!! No guards on the blade or
the belt

Likewise, we had one that we ran off an 8N Ford. Everybody had one back
then. Don't recall hearing of accidents with them, though looking back,
it's almost amazing you didn't.

If you think accidents didn't happen, you never were in a town where the
big industry was a sawmill or shake mill.

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 2nd 13 02:28 AM

Interesting saw

wrote:

[...]

Never said accidents don't happen.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] October 2nd 13 02:54 AM

Interesting saw

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 21:28:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Never said accidents don't happen.

No, you said they couldn't have been very common. DAGS on "sawmill
accidents". I suggest they were very common in previous years and are
still a relatively frequent.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/sawmills.htm

Keith nuttle October 2nd 13 03:08 AM

Interesting saw

On 10/1/2013 9:54 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 21:28:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Never said accidents don't happen.

No, you said they couldn't have been very common. DAGS on "sawmill
accidents". I suggest they were very common in previous years and are
still a relatively frequent.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/sawmills.htm

Other than the fact that sawmills were dangerous, the URL is in UK, and
the things they are considering safety problems were not a concern in
the early mills. High noise and welfare conditions do not affect putting
your hand in the blade.

**** Band saw blade or pulley cleaning procedures
**** Round and sawn timber stacking
**** Guarding of power operated cross-cut saws

**** Management of site transport activities

**** Lock-out procedures for interrupting mechanised production
processes, for example when freeing jammed timber

**** Two other important problem areas were high noise levels and poor
or non-existent welfare facilities."

It is like the 1890 house on PBS, where they could not get approval for
a family to living in the house because of a standard issue 1890's stove.

[email protected] October 2nd 13 03:31 AM

Interesting saw

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 22:08:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle
Other than the fact that sawmills were dangerous, the URL is in UK, and
the things they are considering safety problems were not a concern in
the early mills. High noise and welfare conditions do not affect putting

Perhaps something closer to home then.
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/woodproduc..._sawmills.html

Mike Marlow[_2_] October 2nd 13 11:54 AM

Interesting saw

wrote:
On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 21:28:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Never said accidents don't happen.

No, you said they couldn't have been very common. DAGS on "sawmill
accidents". I suggest they were very common in previous years and are
still a relatively frequent.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/sawmills.htm

Actually, it only seems that I made that statement. Here's what I actually
said...