DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help Please, Hinge search (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/362229-help-please-hinge-search.html)

[email protected] September 20th 13 05:31 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

Earlier this year I bought some 1/2" partial wrap around hinges for
1/2" full inset doors. Now I need more and all I can find are for 3/4"
doors. Any suggestions?

Rob

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 20th 13 12:18 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

wrote:

Earlier this year I bought some 1/2" partial wrap around hinges for
1/2" full inset doors. Now I need more and all I can find are for 3/4"
doors. Any suggestions?

Have you tried asking the supplier that you purchased to previous hinges
from, or looking on the manufacturer's website, or doing a google search? A
simple google search using the phrase "1/2" partial wrap around hinge"
turned up a ton of results. Lots of options to chose from to match your
existing hinges.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] September 20th 13 01:14 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

Unfortunatly, I cannot remember where I got the hinges before and when
I do google search all I get are 3/4" hinges.

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:18:02 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 20th 13 01:20 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

wrote:

Unfortunatly, I cannot remember where I got the hinges before and when
I do google search all I get are 3/4" hinges.

Use the search string I included in my earlier post. It shows all different
size hinges including 1/2"

--

-Mike-

Pat Barber[_2_] September 20th 13 04:19 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

On 9/19/2013 9:31 PM, wrote:
Earlier this year I bought some 1/2" partial wrap around hinges for
1/2" full inset doors. Now I need more and all I can find are for 3/4"
doors. Any suggestions?

Rob

I bet these folks have got what you are looking for.

http://www.wwhardware.com/cabinet-hinges

Tvfarmer September 20th 13 05:04 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

LeeValley has a good selection of hardware.... and tools
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware/Index.aspx

[email protected] September 21st 13 04:18 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

Mike, at the risk of sounding ungratefull, the search that you
suggested was exactly the search that I used, and it appears that
there are tons of hinges, however when you click on the links you will
find that they are links to hinges for 3/4" doors. This is another
case of Google providing bad information. It appears the the google
search engine is ignoring the 1/2" portion of the search.

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:20:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 21st 13 11:59 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

wrote:

Mike, at the risk of sounding ungratefull, the search that you
suggested was exactly the search that I used, and it appears that
there are tons of hinges, however when you click on the links you will
find that they are links to hinges for 3/4" doors. This is another
case of Google providing bad information. It appears the the google
search engine is ignoring the 1/2" portion of the search.

Must be a localization thing with google or something. I just used the
exact same search string again, and one of the first returns was this site.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...C+Partial+Wrap

Take a look - all different sizes.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] September 22nd 13 12:38 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 06:59:08 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Mike, at the risk of sounding ungratefull, the search that you
suggested was exactly the search that I used, and it appears that
there are tons of hinges, however when you click on the links you will
find that they are links to hinges for 3/4" doors. This is another
case of Google providing bad information. It appears the the google
search engine is ignoring the 1/2" portion of the search.

Must be a localization thing with google or something. I just used the
exact same search string again, and one of the first returns was this site.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...C+Partial+Wrap

Take a look - all different sizes.

Thanks Mike, I guess I didn't accurately say what I am looking for.
What I need is a partial wrap hinge for a 1/2" thick full inset door.

Mike Marlow[_2_] September 22nd 13 01:59 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

wrote:

Thanks Mike, I guess I didn't accurately say what I am looking for.
What I need is a partial wrap hinge for a 1/2" thick full inset door.

....or I misunderstood.

--

-Mike-

woodchucker[_3_] September 22nd 13 03:11 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

On 9/20/2013 11:18 PM, wrote:
Mike, at the risk of sounding ungratefull, the search that you
suggested was exactly the search that I used, and it appears that
there are tons of hinges, however when you click on the links you will
find that they are links to hinges for 3/4" doors. This is another
case of Google providing bad information. It appears the the google
search engine is ignoring the 1/2" portion of the search.

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:20:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Unfortunatly, I cannot remember where I got the hinges before and when
I do google search all I get are 3/4" hinges.

Use the search string I included in my earlier post. It shows all different
size hinges including 1/2"

I have to agree about ignoring the 1/2, although Mike's followup is good
info. I have noticed that google has become less selective and tries to
offer you something that might be close. Seems like google has taken a
step back.. When google first came out there engine was dead on pinpoint
accurate, while yahoo and excite were like google today. I miss the old
google.

--
Jeff

[email protected] September 22nd 13 03:40 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 22:11:35 -0400, woodchucker
I have to agree about ignoring the 1/2, although Mike's followup is good
info. I have noticed that google has become less selective and tries to
offer you something that might be close. Seems like google has taken a
step back.. When google first came out there engine was dead on pinpoint
accurate, while yahoo and excite were like google today. I miss the old
google.

That might well be because there's so many more websites available now
as compared to when Google first came out.

I frequently find myself putting quotation marks around my query words
in order to narrow down the searches to exact phrases.

dadiOH[_3_] September 22nd 13 12:20 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

wrote in message

Earlier this year I bought some 1/2" partial wrap around
hinges for 1/2" full inset doors. Now I need more and all
I can find are for 3/4" doors.

Given the near universiality of 3/4" doors, I think you are going to have
extreme difficulty finding a hinge of the type you want made for a thinner
door.

Any suggestions?

Yes. Use a hinge for a 3/4 door and pad it out 1/4" on the back side.
Either as a narow strip along the hinge side or just as a pad under the
hinge.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

phorbin September 22nd 13 02:19 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

In article ,
says...
Earlier this year I bought some 1/2" partial wrap around hinges for
1/2" full inset doors. Now I need more and all I can find are for 3/4"
doors. Any suggestions?

Rob

I don't know hinges much beyond re-hanging a door but do you mean something
like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Amerock-BP7550...osing-Partial-
Overlay/dp/B000I22LUM

or

http://www.amazon.com/Amerock-BP8719...table-Partial-
Overlay/sim/B000PD24CY/2

or these

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...Overlay+Hinges,
+Wrap+Around+-+Partial+Inset+Hinges/Overlay+Hinges,+Partial+Wrap

or (sorry the following's a Canadian link but USA should have them I guess)

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1-2-...e-brass/901963

Search results from

https://startpage.com/do/search

(uses google but I like it better) using search criteria

hinge half inch partial wrap

woodchucker[_3_] September 22nd 13 02:47 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

On 9/21/2013 10:40 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 22:11:35 -0400, woodchucker
I have to agree about ignoring the 1/2, although Mike's followup is good
info. I have noticed that google has become less selective and tries to
offer you something that might be close. Seems like google has taken a
step back.. When google first came out there engine was dead on pinpoint
accurate, while yahoo and excite were like google today. I miss the old
google.

That might well be because there's so many more websites available now
as compared to when Google first came out.

I frequently find myself putting quotation marks around my query words
in order to narrow down the searches to exact phrases.

I wish that were the truth, but the search engine has evolved over time
with them. They push the sites that pay first. They used to push the
most frequently visited sites. They also have tried figuring out what
you might be wanting, not what you are wanting. Some of this seems to be
based on your search history, and geographic location.

It is still a good search engine, but it has lost some of hits accuracy.

--
Jeff

willshak September 23rd 13 02:23 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

wrote:
On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 22:11:35 -0400, woodchucker
I have to agree about ignoring the 1/2, although Mike's followup is good
info. I have noticed that google has become less selective and tries to
offer you something that might be close. Seems like google has taken a
step back.. When google first came out there engine was dead on pinpoint
accurate, while yahoo and excite were like google today. I miss the old
google.

That might well be because there's so many more websites available now
as compared to when Google first came out.

I frequently find myself putting quotation marks around my query words
in order to narrow down the searches to exact phrases.

Do a google search again and when the result pages come up click on
"Images" at the top of the screen.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

dpb September 23rd 13 02:31 PM

Help Please, Hinge search

On 9/21/2013 9:11 PM, woodchucker wrote:

... I have noticed that google has become less selective and tries to
offer you something that might be close. Seems like google has taken a
step back.. When google first came out [their] engine was dead on pinpoint
accurate, while yahoo and excite were like google today. I miss the old
google.

Much has to do w/ paid content skewing results to the top I
think...combined with the advent of other 'bots that are used to foist
"hits" to enhance sites' ordering in search results.

The explosion of content is a part of it as well as others have
mentioned altho not convinced that's the key part...

[email protected] October 22nd 13 01:49 AM

Help Please, Hinge search

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I finally found where I got the
hinges from it was http//www.dlawlesshardware.com

Rob

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 20:59:13 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Thanks Mike, I guess I didn't accurately say what I am looking for.
What I need is a partial wrap hinge for a 1/2" thick full inset door.

...or I misunderstood.