DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glue wood to glass? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/360793-glue-wood-glass.html)

[email protected] August 8th 13 03:32 AM

Glue wood to glass?

I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Leon[_7_] August 8th 13 03:36 AM

Glue wood to glass?

On 8/7/2013 9:32 PM, wrote:
I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

The glass guy that Swingman and I use glues in the glass panels to our
wood door frames using a clear silicone like caulk adhesive.

See what you local glass dealer suggests.

Richard[_9_] August 8th 13 03:42 AM

Glue wood to glass?

On 8/7/2013 9:32 PM, wrote:
I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Yes, absolutely.
Especially considering the difference in expansion rates.

Goop, in any of the many flavors, is absolutely
_the best stuff_ for many jobs like this.

It holds tenaciously.
It says flexible forever.
and it's relatively inexpensive.

If you try it and don't like it, I'll cheerfully
refund the price of this recommendation!

:)

But seriously, good stuff, Maynard.

tdacon August 8th 13 04:54 AM

Glue wood to glass?

wrote in message

I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of
cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from
the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5"
section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of
1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Go he

http://www.thistothat.com/

Tom

Swingman August 8th 13 02:26 PM

Glue wood to glass?

On 8/7/2013 9:32 PM, wrote:
I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Simply use a clear, silicone adhesive/sealant in a tube, available at
any hardware or Borg in the country.

--
eWoodShop:
www.eWoodShop.com

Richard[_9_] August 8th 13 04:06 PM

Glue wood to glass?

On 8/7/2013 10:03 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a
piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long)
will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a
1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case
scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

3M-5200.

Lew

That would work fine, Lew, but expensive.

WW[_2_] August 9th 13 12:37 AM

Glue wood to glass?

wrote in message

I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of
cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from
the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5"
section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of
1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

I had a glass company put frosted glass in our oak kitchen cabinets 18 years
ago. Still OK. They used clear pure silicone as you can buy at a hardware
store. WW

woodchucker[_3_] August 9th 13 02:28 AM

Glue wood to glass?

On 8/7/2013 10:32 PM, wrote:
I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

There are also flexible epoxies too. I don't use silicone much.. but
there are different types.

There are some good glue choices. More flexible the better.
You also could use some old glazier compound... it hardens, but is still
flexible enough to move.

--
Jeff

woodchucker[_3_] August 9th 13 02:29 AM

Glue wood to glass?

On 8/7/2013 10:42 PM, Richard wrote:
On 8/7/2013 9:32 PM, wrote:
I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece
of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will
hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5"
section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario
of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Yes, absolutely.
Especially considering the difference in expansion rates.

Goop, in any of the many flavors, is absolutely
_the best stuff_ for many jobs like this.

Yep that's a good choice... forgot about goop, or liquid nails (same in
the small tube), not the same in the caulk gun.

tommyboy August 9th 13 06:19 PM

Glue wood to glass?

Fish glue will work.

[email protected] August 10th 13 04:48 AM

Glue wood to glass?

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:32:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Silicone adhesive/sealant seems to have done the trick nicely.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

-BG

Mike M August 11th 13 07:20 AM

Glue wood to glass?

On 8/7/2013 9:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

Goop is incredible, I put a piece of steel thru an almost new rear
tractor tire. Took it to the tire store and they put a big 6" patch
on the inside, but I still had an almost 1" slit through the tire. I
cut a patch out of an old tube and put shoe goop on the tire put the
patch on that and then coated everything with shoe goop. Over 2 years
and that patch is still there.

Mike M