DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Jewelry armoire (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/357748-jewelry-armoire.html)

Gramp's shop[_2_] June 12th 13 05:17 PM

Jewelry armoire

The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

I'm very grateful to all who responded to my inquiry about rattle-can lacquer. After considering the learning curve and all the ways I could screw up a nice project, I decided to go with old faithful -- Minwax satin poly.

Leaving tomorrow for delivery to daughter in NYC.

Larry

Leon[_5_] June 12th 13 05:49 PM

Jewelry armoire

"Gramp's shop" wrote:
The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

I'm very grateful to all who responded to my inquiry about rattle-can
lacquer. After considering the learning curve and all the ways I could
screw up a nice project, I decided to go with old faithful -- Minwax satin poly.

Leaving tomorrow for delivery to daughter in NYC.

Larry

Very nice. Does the top open?

Gramp's shop[_2_] June 12th 13 05:55 PM

Jewelry armoire

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:49:54 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
"Gramp's shop" wrote:

The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

I'm very grateful to all who responded to my inquiry about rattle-can

lacquer. After considering the learning curve and all the ways I could

screw up a nice project, I decided to go with old faithful -- Minwax satin poly.

Leaving tomorrow for delivery to daughter in NYC.

Larry

Very nice. Does the top open?

Thanks. The top flips open and is hinged on the back.

Sonny June 12th 13 07:38 PM

Jewelry armoire

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:17:51 AM UTC-5, Gramp's shop wrote:
The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/ Larry

It looks great. You better watch out, those daughters will want more, if you keep up that kind of work and generosity.... and delivery service, too!

Sonny

dadiOH[_3_] June 12th 13 07:40 PM

Jewelry armoire

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

I'm very grateful to all who responded to my inquiry about rattle-can
lacquer. After considering the learning curve and all the ways I could
screw up a nice project, I decided to go with old faithful -- Minwax satin
poly.

Leaving tomorrow for delivery to daughter in NYC.

Quite handsome and I'm sure she will be very pleased. It is something she
will treasure as lonf as she lives.

Don't be put off by lacquer, though...it is one if the easiedt finishes -
much easier thanpoly - and is very forgiving since it (and shellac) "melt"
when additional coats are applied.

It also colors the wood somewhat less than varnish (oil) so is useful if you
want to keep things light colored or with less "pop"

dadiOH

Lee Michaels[_3_] June 12th 13 09:28 PM

Jewelry armoire

" "Gramp's shop" wrote in message
The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

I'm very grateful to all who responded to my inquiry about rattle-can
lacquer. After considering the learning curve and all the ways I could
screw up a nice project, I decided to go with old faithful -- Minwax
satin poly.

Leaving tomorrow for delivery to daughter in NYC.

There ya go, a big jewelry chest on legs! For the serious jewelry
collector! Looks nice. I haven't seen one like that before. I am sure it
will be much appreciated.

You do realize, of course, that this is just the beginning. Every woman I
ever met, when faced with a new jewelry box, laments the fact that they
don't have any where enough jewelry to fill the thing.

Slippery slope, indeed. :-)

G. Ross June 12th 13 09:35 PM

Jewelry armoire

Gramp's shop wrote:
The armoire is done. Pix at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/

I'm very grateful to all who responded to my inquiry about rattle-can lacquer. After considering the learning curve and all the ways I could screw up a nice project, I decided to go with old faithful -- Minwax satin poly.

Leaving tomorrow for delivery to daughter in NYC.

Larry

Very nice. Be careful in NYC.

--
 GW Ross

 Rotisserie: a ferris wheel for
 chickens.

[email protected] June 13th 13 06:07 AM

Jewelry armoire

The armoire looks great! The Minwax product will serve well for years
to come and should work out very nicely. Sometimes it is a much
better idea to go with what you know. Learning lacquer application on
a piece like that would take quite a leap of faith!

Like your other projects, too.

Robert

Gramp's shop[_2_] June 14th 13 06:37 AM

Jewelry armoire

Thanks, Robert. I kept the rattle cans and plan to make friends with them soon.