DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A Gardening Project (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/357314-gardening-project.html)

Sonny June 2nd 13 04:35 PM

A Gardening Project

I often do small projects for various folks or interests. Recently, the local Master Gardeners asked if I would make a dozen vertical planter boxes for their pending fall fund raiser. They've been one of the subjects discussed in the gardening chat room I visit, as well. Seems these planter boxes are very popular, even among novice gardeners.

Scrap wood use?
Make one or several of these, for the gardener in your home.

http://sgplants.com/products/living

Sonny

ChairMan[_6_] June 2nd 13 08:48 PM

A Gardening Project

In ,
Sonny belched:
I often do small projects for various folks or interests. Recently,
the local Master Gardeners asked if I would make a dozen vertical
planter boxes for their pending fall fund raiser. They've been one
of the subjects discussed in the gardening chat room I visit, as
well. Seems these planter boxes are very popular, even among novice
gardeners.

Scrap wood use?
Make one or several of these, for the gardener in your home.

http://sgplants.com/products/living

Sonny

i would think you would want to use something like cedar, redwood or cypress
Just a guess on my part

John Grossbohlin[_4_] June 2nd 13 10:23 PM

A Gardening Project

"ChairMan" wrote in message ...

In ,
Sonny belched:

Scrap wood use?
Make one or several of these, for the gardener in your home.

http://sgplants.com/products/living

Sonny

i would think you would want to use something like cedar, redwood or
cypress
Just a guess on my part

Good options... or if permanence is of concern go with solid PVC trim boards
or use "plastic" decking boards...

hubops June 2nd 13 11:38 PM

A Gardening Project

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 17:23:54 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"ChairMan" wrote in message ...

In ,
Sonny belched:

Scrap wood use?
Make one or several of these, for the gardener in your home.

http://sgplants.com/products/living

Sonny

i would think you would want to use something like cedar, redwood or
cypress
Just a guess on my part

Good options... or if permanence is of concern go with solid PVC trim boards
or use "plastic" decking boards...

The gardeners will tell you better than me, but advanced planning
for drainage and watering might be a design factor ...

this is a plastic model available from LV
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,51603&ap=1

John T

Sonny June 3rd 13 02:01 AM

A Gardening Project

i would think you would want to use something like cedar, redwood or cypress

go with solid PVC trim boards or use "plastic" decking boards...

The gardeners will tell you better than me, but advanced planning for drainage and watering might be a design factor ...

Yeah, I had made a few items, for the M. Gardeners, with ER cedar and cypress.

That link's use of plywood backing isn't reasonable, unless it's treated. It better be treated at those prices.

A wood frame (decor), to me, would look nicer than PVC or the plastic boxes, but lush growth should cover any unsightly PVC or plastic. I suppose any wood would make for a nice box....They may be replace with new, anyway, for fall and/or next years plantings, since it doesn't take much to make them..

As to the Master Gardeners, here, they will want good durable boxes, most appropriate for selling. The customers will want something to last more than a season or two, also. The Gardeners have sold other projects (I've made) by raffle, $2 to $5 chances, on different items, and the winners names are drawn from the poole.

I've thought to make not just a square box, but a house front profile, also: A peaked roof-line profile, with eaves, maybe a chimney. Why be plain Jane!? Those girls (mostly women gardeners) seem to like enhancements, as that.

Sonny

Lew Hodgett[_6_] June 3rd 13 02:30 AM

A Gardening Project

Sonny,

You may find this interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/y976voo

BTW, no PVC, it's all HDPE (Old milk bottles), which is weather
resistant.

PVC isn't.

Lew

Sonny June 3rd 13 02:59 AM

A Gardening Project

On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:30:58 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Sonny, You may find this interesting. http://tinyurl.com/y976voo BTW, no PVC, it's all HDPE (Old milk bottles), which is weather resistant. PVC isn't. Lew

Thanks Lew. That looks appealing, but I have 30K bd ft of old cypress and ER cedar. They gonna get my scraps. That's what all my-to-their projects have been made from, my scraps, albeit, good scraps.

Sonny