Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tilting Router Table Fence

Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the possibilities for new router profiles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2013 10:22 AM, wrote:
Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the possibilities for new router profiles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM

Very cool and well thought out fence you got there Brian..... If that
thing was aluminum...... you might be the next competitor with Incra!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:52:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the possibilities for new router profiles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM

Very cool and well thought out fence you got there Brian..... If that
thing was aluminum...... you might be the next competitor with Incra!

+1. I could see it selling very well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2013 2:58 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:52:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the possibilities for new router profiles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM

Very cool and well thought out fence you got there Brian..... If that
thing was aluminum...... you might be the next competitor with Incra!

+1. I could see it selling very well.

Sorry, but I don't. I would think a tilting router base would work
better. The gap at the bottom shows no support and that is a minus.

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. But support is
everything, so is contact, its good, but not great.

I have seen tilting router supports for sale, and a nice home made from
Matthias. I would not use the gear that he used, but I might use the
screw drive that he had, just coupled differently.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2013 11:39 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 4/27/2013 2:58 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:52:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the
possibilities for new router profiles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM

Very cool and well thought out fence you got there Brian..... If that
thing was aluminum...... you might be the next competitor with Incra!

+1. I could see it selling very well.

Sorry, but I don't. I would think a tilting router base would work
better. The gap at the bottom shows no support and that is a minus.

How about a small chamfer on the back to lower the fence front when it's
angled?
It's for a router. How thin would the work be to be able to use a router?

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. But support is
everything, so is contact, its good, but not great.

I have seen tilting router supports for sale, and a nice home made from
Matthias. I would not use the gear that he used, but I might use the
screw drive that he had, just coupled differently.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2013 2:58 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:52:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the
possibilities for new router profiles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM

Very cool and well thought out fence you got there Brian..... If that
thing was aluminum...... you might be the next competitor with Incra!

+1. I could see it selling very well.

Sorry, but I don't. I would think a tilting router base would work
better. The gap at the bottom shows no support and that is a minus.

How about a small chamfer on the back to lower the fence front when it's
angled?
It's for a router. How thin would the work be to be able to use a router?

It's not the fence, its the workpiece. It is off the table where it is
being cut. , I would rather have the piece sitting on the table.
Secondly, with it off, I could not put a zero clearance insert in there.
While not necessary, it's more controllable. I realize a CNC router
doesn't have zero clearance. But there are definitely times you need it.

Brian's works, and works well, but it is a little bit of a compromise
for this reason. In his example it makes it difficult to determine depth
and height. If the piece lies flat on the table you know the depth and
height.

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. But support is
everything, so is contact, its good, but not great.

I have seen tilting router supports for sale, and a nice home made from
Matthias. I would not use the gear that he used, but I might use the
screw drive that he had, just coupled differently.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2013 2:58 AM, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:52:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the

possibilities for new router profiles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM

Very cool and well thought out fence you got there Brian..... If that

thing was aluminum...... you might be the next competitor with Incra!

+1. I could see it selling very well.

Sorry, but I don't. I would think a tilting router base would work

better. The gap at the bottom shows no support and that is a minus.

How about a small chamfer on the back to lower the fence front when it's

angled?

It's for a router. How thin would the work be to be able to use a router?

It's not the fence, its the workpiece. It is off the table where it is

being cut. , I would rather have the piece sitting on the table.

Not sure why the split fence opening is bothering you, but if it makes you uncomfortable then use a solid one piece fence w/ an opening in the middle for the bit.

Secondly, with it off, I could not put a zero clearance insert in there.

While not necessary, it's more controllable. I realize a CNC router

doesn't have zero clearance. But there are definitely times you need it.

Brian's works, and works well, but it is a little bit of a compromise

for this reason. In his example it makes it difficult to determine depth

and height.

Not at all. It's quite easy to determine the height. Line up your lumber in front of the bit against the table. You can see the profile that will be cut into the wood perfectly, height and depth.

If the piece lies flat on the table you know the depth and

height.

There is a price reduction in the plans. $9.95

Cheers!

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. But support is

everything, so is contact, its good, but not great.

I have seen tilting router supports for sale, and a nice home made from

Matthias. I would not use the gear that he used, but I might use the

screw drive that he had, just coupled differently.

--

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2013 2:58 AM, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:52:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

Can be made to fit almost any existing router table. Open up the

possibilities for new router profiles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a88f1pv6jM

Very cool and well thought out fence you got there Brian..... If that

thing was aluminum...... you might be the next competitor with Incra!

+1. I could see it selling very well.

Sorry, but I don't. I would think a tilting router base would work

better. The gap at the bottom shows no support and that is a minus.

How about a small chamfer on the back to lower the fence front when it's

angled?

It's for a router. How thin would the work be to be able to use a router?

It's not the fence, its the workpiece. It is off the table where it is

being cut. , I would rather have the piece sitting on the table.

Also - You are always going to have an opening in one of the workpiece contact planes. There is no way around this if you want your router bit to make contact with the work piece. Two contact planes (router table surface and fence) are all that is ever required to stabilize the work piece. In a normal, non-tilting fence, you still only have two contact planes and an opening for the bit. Nothing has changes but the tilt angle.

Secondly, with it off, I could not put a zero clearance insert in there.

While not necessary, it's more controllable. I realize a CNC router

doesn't have zero clearance. But there are definitely times you need it.

Brian's works, and works well, but it is a little bit of a compromise

for this reason. In his example it makes it difficult to determine depth

and height. If the piece lies flat on the table you know the depth and

height.

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. But support is

everything, so is contact, its good, but not great.

I have seen tilting router supports for sale, and a nice home made from

Matthias. I would not use the gear that he used, but I might use the

screw drive that he had, just coupled differently.

--

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Brian, the split fence is not what is bothering me, its the edge that
you are cutting that is off the table.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Why is this a problem? Determining the depth is a non-issue.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:39:15 -0400, woodchucker
+1. I could see it selling very well.

Sorry, but I don't. I would think a tilting router base would work
better. The gap at the bottom shows no support and that is a minus.

All things considered, this was a prototype and a fine first effort in
my opinion. I'd expect any edition put up for sale to be mostly made
out of metal with included sacrificial fences. It would include
various judicious modifications as per your comment and others.

Router table fence TMC[_2_] UK diy 10 January 11th 12 12:29 AM
Quick Router Table + Fence RonB Woodworking Plans and Photos 13 March 19th 07 03:37 PM
ROUTER FENCE FOR A TABLE SAW J T Woodworking 0 January 24th 06 05:41 AM
ROUTER TABLE FENCE J T Woodworking 0 December 30th 05 11:43 PM
Router table fence (woodworking #144) Jonathan Bergeron Woodworking 3 May 21st 05 04:44 AM