DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rockwell Lathe Belt Change (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/353227-rockwell-lathe-belt-change.html)

Digmon February 19th 13 05:58 PM

Rockwell Lathe Belt Change

I have a 60s vintage Rockwell 46-460 lathe that needs a new belt. Can anyone tell me how I am supposed to change the belt on this old thing?

CW[_8_] February 19th 13 08:41 PM

Rockwell Lathe Belt Change

"Digmon" wrote in message ...

I have a 60s vintage Rockwell 46-460 lathe that needs a new belt. Can
anyone tell me how I am supposed to change the belt on this old thing?
You need to remove the spindle to change it. Look around the net for a
manual.

--
Digmon

woodchucker[_3_] February 19th 13 11:41 PM

Rockwell Lathe Belt Change

On 2/19/2013 3:41 PM, CW wrote:

"Digmon" wrote in message ...

I have a 60s vintage Rockwell 46-460 lathe that needs a new belt. Can
anyone tell me how I am supposed to change the belt on this old thing?
You need to remove the spindle to change it. Look around the net for a
manual.

If it's a v belt, not a flat belt, get a link belt. Much easier.

--
Jeff

marc rosen February 20th 13 02:28 AM

Rockwell Lathe Belt Change

I agree with Jeff about using a link belt. I replaced the belt on my
old Delta lathe with a linker and it worked perfectly up to the day I
sold it. I did take the spindle out when I replaced the bearings but
decided to repace the v-belt with a linker in the event I would ever
have to replace a drive belt again.
One caveat though; I never had to make any pulley changes to change
speeds because I had installed a variable speed DC motor so I can't
comment about whether it is easier or not to move to various
pulleys.

Marc

"Digmon" *wrote in ...

mungedaddress February 20th 13 03:06 AM

Rockwell Lathe Belt Change

Try looking at owwm.org / vintage machines.org.

Digmon February 21st 13 03:09 AM

Thanks, everyone. I have taken your advice and ordered a link belt. Unfortunately, my lathe will be down for a couple weeks until it arrives.

Dave[_52_] February 21st 13 09:20 PM

Rockwell Lathe Belt Change

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 03:09:07 +0000, Digmon
Thanks, everyone. I have taken your advice and ordered a link belt.
Unfortunately, my lathe will be down for a couple weeks until it
arrives.

It takes that long for the delivery to get to you? Link belts are
reasonably common. Where do you live that delivery takes that long?

gary April 1st 20 04:14 AM

Rockwell Lathe Belt Change

replying to Digmon, gary wrote:
where did u order ur link belt from?