Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Charles Self's 'Creating Your Own Woodshop (Take a Peek)

Not sure how books end up on Google books but I think it's a neat feature. Anyway, if you don't own the book it would make a nice addition to any woodworking library. You might enjoy checking out a few shop pics and accompanying stories. You might recognize a couple names from the wrec:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2zo...page&q&f=false

Posted to rec.woodworking

For me, the peek inside was another reminder of how disorganized my shop is.. Though I have some tools in reasonable places, for convenience of work, I have others out of place, not to mention several projects cluttering the whole, also.

No sooner do I make an attempt to organize the mess, that I find some project to start or to continue with, and that project becomes priority, so the organizating comes to a halt. Seems, doing a project is more important, or more fun, than organizing the shop.

About half my present projects consist of small tasks, for neighbors and relatives, and these often take more time to do, than I spend on my own projects. At times, I've wondered if others have similarly disorganized scenarios.

I think viewing and reading your link has inspried me to focus on doing some organizing of the shop, again. The nice weather, we're having, helps, too.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote in
:

For me, the peek inside was another reminder of how disorganized
my shop is. Though I have some tools in reasonable places, for
convenience of work, I have others out of place, not to mention
several projects cluttering the whole, also.

Welcome to my world.

No sooner do I make an attempt to organize the mess, that I find
some project to start or to continue with, and that project
becomes priority, so the organizating comes to a halt. Seems,
doing a project is more important, or more fun, than organizing
the shop.

Of course it is! Organizing the shop is work. Doing a project is play.

About half my present projects consist of small tasks, for
neighbors and relatives, and these often take more time to do,
than I spend on my own projects. At times, I've wondered if
others have similarly disorganized scenarios.

At least one other. :-)

I think viewing and reading your link has inspried me to focus
on doing some organizing of the shop, again. The nice weather,
we're having, helps, too.

Crummy weather helps me get things done in my shop -- shop's in the basement, so it's a
nice warm dry place to go when the weather is nasty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2013 10:15 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

For me I like the organization, most everything I do gets out of control
organization wise. When I work the bench is covered with things (but
I've been training myself to put things away). when I am getting to a
point that it interferes with the finishing, (denting it) I try to clean up.

I have learned to keep the table saw clear, but sometimes I turn around
and I load it up. Like today, its got scrap wood on it from the other day.

To me having the clutter prevents me from working. I find if I allow it
to gain on me, then I spend more time moving **** back and forth than
getting work done. When I am working organized I just get it done, when
I allow the clutter to creep, I spend 1/3 of my time making room, _And
then I get side tracked_.

So I am not a organization weenie, just someone who would rather build
than move stuff around. My previous shop before this shop was a small
room, only big enough for hand tools, and hand power tools... I learned
I had to keep it organized to get anything done... otherwise there was
no room for work.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Another aspect, pointed out in the link, is lighting, with the help of windows. Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper lighting is a handicap, also. I really like the window space and the atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

To me having the clutter prevents me from working. I find if I allow
it to gain on me, then I spend more time moving **** back and forth than
getting work done. When I am working organized I just get it done,
when I allow the clutter to creep, I spend 1/3 of my time making room,
_And
then I get side tracked_.

Ain't that just the truth! How about those times when in order to get to a
space, you have to move a pile of clutter, only to have it fall over and
make a mess - which just ****es ya off, and on, and on, it goes! I'm
actually reasonably good at keeping things where they belong, because I want
to know where they are the next time I need them, and have reasonable access
to them. If other people use my garage (which is common), and don't put
things back, I find that I can too easily fall into clutter mode myself.
So - I try to keep it fairly well organized to minimize that. Though - at
times it just becomes a disaster area, and then I have to kill a day getting
it back together. When that happens, the hardest part is just getting
started on the mess.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2013 10:47 AM, Sonny wrote:
Another aspect, pointed out in the link, is lighting, with the help of windows. Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper lighting is a handicap, also. I really like the window space and the atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown.

What I don't like about windows in a shop is that you're forced to deal
with the security hassle, at least in an urban environment.

Would love to have them, though ... large ones. And a wooden floor
thrown in for good measure.

The problem is, at a certain age, if you could indeed build the shop of
your dreams, chances are good that your widow will be selling it in the
not that distant furure.

Nothing sadder than to go to the sale of shop equipment, in the shop of
someone's dreams, held by the widow.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/13 11:16 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/27/2013 10:47 AM, Sonny wrote:
Another aspect, pointed out in the link, is lighting, with the help of
windows. Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper
lighting is a handicap, also. I really like the window space and the
atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown.

What I don't like about windows in a shop is that you're forced to deal
with the security hassle, at least in an urban environment.

Would love to have them, though ... large ones. And a wooden floor
thrown in for good measure.

The problem is, at a certain age, if you could indeed build the shop of
your dreams, chances are good that your widow will be selling it in the
not that distant furure.

Nothing sadder than to go to the sale of shop equipment, in the shop of
someone's dreams, held by the widow.

I guess that's why they say, "Don't forget to enjoy the journey."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2013 11:19 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I guess that's why they say, "Don't forget to enjoy the journey."

"They" simply have yet to experience the aches and pains of being closer
to the end, rather than the beginning, of "the journey".

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

[...]

I can certainly be counted as being in the top 5% of the world's
biggest slobs.

I haven't seen the top of my desk in years.

Building a boat in an open field with only a small tool shed to keep
your
tools under lock and key and some saw horses to form temporary work
tables forces you to do some things, namely put your tools away at the
end of the day such that you can easily find the at the start of the
next day.

The next day gets started that much more quickly if you can quickly
lay
out the tools and materials needed for the day.

Nothing fancy, but I found it made a difference.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/13 11:26 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/27/2013 11:19 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I guess that's why they say, "Don't forget to enjoy the journey."

"They" simply have yet to experience the aches and pains of being closer
to the end, rather than the beginning, of "the journey".

I guess what's it means to me is we should enjoy life while we're trying
to reach our dreams and goals, because too often, when one finally
attained those things, there's such little life left to enjoy them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 11:47*am, Sonny wrote:
Another aspect, pointed out in the link, is lighting, with the help of windows. *Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper lighting is a handicap, also. *I really like the window space and the atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown.

Sonny

That same shop with all the windows also has a checkerboard design on
the floor - which I find very distracting.

If I was working on a big project that was sitting on the floor, I
think all those lines would screw my eyes up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:16:27 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/27/2013 10:47 AM, Sonny wrote:
Another aspect, pointed out in the link, is lighting, with the help of windows. Though disorganization is distracting enough, improper lighting is a handicap, also. I really like the window space and the atmosphere it presents, in one of those shops, shown.

What I don't like about windows in a shop is that you're forced to deal
with the security hassle, at least in an urban environment.

Yep, no windows in mine and all the doors are sorta visible from the
house. Theft hasn't been a problem where I am, but no use tempting
the lowlife.

Would love to have them, though ... large ones. And a wooden floor
thrown in for good measure.

I like an oiled wood floor, too much of a fire hazard though.

The problem is, at a certain age, if you could indeed build the shop of
your dreams, chances are good that your widow will be selling it in the
not that distant furure.

Nothing sadder than to go to the sale of shop equipment, in the shop of
someone's dreams, held by the widow.

You had to go there didn't ya

I told my three offspring that even though I was spending their
inheritance, I was going to leave plenty behind for them to sell and or
fight over.

basilisk