DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/350857-not-so-merry-christmas-webster-ny.html)

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 28th 12 03:21 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:41:53 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:58:08 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

We haven't and we won't. Every single home in Switzerland has a rifle
and handgun and every citizen is trained in their use. What's their
gun crime rate? GUNS don't cause crime, they prevent it.

No it is not the GUNS that prevent crime. It is the education and
training that reduce crime. Those guns are properly stored too.

If you pull out a gun in front of a criminal, they'll flee. This
doesn't take education or training, though most concealed weapons
permit owners have both.

Yes, the fact that everybody knows every home is armed may act as a
deterrent to crimes against property - but those guns are NOT carried
and the general citizenry walking on the streets or driving in their
cars is NOT armed.

Right, but thosee approached by criminals on the street who show a
weapon are usually not victims. The criminals, generally, wisely
choose not to screw with them. This is called "an unfired gun
preventing a crime" in our country. Do you disagree?

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.

Dave[_52_] December 28th 12 03:48 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On 28 Dec 2012 13:18:13 GMT, Han wrote:

Too true. The solution to that problem, though, isn't to ban firearms
(since the criminals will have them anyway) -- it's to dry up the
funding source for the street gangs, by legalizing drugs. Seriously.

Fully agree with your last statement.

Absolutely INANE comments. To legalize drugs is to usher in a whole
new class of drug addicts. Are YOU willing to pay for the extra law
enforcement, medical facilities and prisons to handle all those extra
drug addicts?

And don't even bother trying to compare legalized drugs to legally
purchased alcohol. They're different types of addiction.

[email protected] December 28th 12 05:32 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On 28 Dec 2012 12:40:34 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:kbi9p2$mqs$1
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

I don't know the particulars. How did the thieves know of this?
How did they know that he was going away for that long? If he has
"many"(?) guns in a large safe, why didn't he have an alarm system?
Those items come into the judgement of his degree of responsibility
or lack of it. How soon did he notify the police? Did he have
liability insurance?

What in the world does him having or not having liability insurance
have to do with it Han?

Mike, if I had a firearm, I'd want to be covered for all eventualities
associated with it. Since a firearm is probably at least as
dangerous as an automobile, a responsible owner would carry liability
insurance. I would count it against an individual if he didn't carry
that insurance.

I am sorry Han, but that just does not make any sense.

Is this clearer, Mike? If I had my druthers, it would be required for
gun owners to have liability insurance covering the weapons.

I agree one hundred percent. Minimum 2 million dollars liability
coverage to be allowed to have a gun on the premises - 5 million to
carry.
Rifle range (gun club) insurance covers guns never removed from the
range (sport/competition).

If a gun is stolen and used in a crime, the owner's liability
insurance covers the first $2million in damages. If your kid uses the
gun and does damage, likewize. Owner responsible for any overages
unless the theft is reported to proper authorities within 24 hours.
That would make gun owners more likely to make sure their guns were
properly secured and stored.

The insurance companies would set the premiums based on risk /loss
ratios.

[email protected] December 28th 12 06:22 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 13:14:54 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Han wrote in :

Gang killings very often involve innocent bystanders. These aren't sniper-
like, but wild shooyouts from passing cars, rooftops, or just plain on
crowded streets.

Too true. The solution to that problem, though, isn't to ban firearms (since the criminals will
have them anyway) -- it's to dry up the funding source for the street gangs, by legalizing drugs.
Seriously.

Legalizing drugs may make a small dent in their funding. Legalize
prostitution and you will dry up another SIGNIFICANT source of gang
revenue - if by legalizing it you can guarantee that NOBODY will be
fighting over the profits/control of the trade.
Legalizing tobacco has not eliminated the trade in illicit (untaxed)
tobacco, and the criminal element involvement in it's production,
impoortation, and distribution.

Same can be said for booze. Still lots of bootlegging going on, and
smuggling/sale of untaxed liquor. Remove the profits from drugs and
the criminal element / gangs will just find something more attractive
to make their money on - and continue killing over it.

[email protected] December 28th 12 06:25 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:56:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Even if your dreams came true and every single legally owned and
registered EVIL GUN was taken out of our hands and melted down,
tomorrow would be a red letter day in the life of criminals. You see,
all their guns would be black market, and the number coming across the
borders (from Mexico and Canada) would increase 100-fold to keep up
with their wants and needs. Only NOW, with all the rest of us
disarmed, they'd do anything and everything they wanted all day long.
Are you happy now?

By the way, a crazy with a machete could walk into a crowd and take
down twenty or thirty people about as fast as a criminal with a gun.
Terrorism is entirely unstoppable, with or without guns in the mix.

Black market guns coming FROM CANADA? - extremely few.

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 28th 12 06:29 PM

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:32:25 -0500, wrote:

On 28 Dec 2012 12:40:34 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:kbi9p2$mqs$1
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

[...]

You say the above, but what you mean is "I don't like guns and will
try to make them impossibly expensive to own."

Since insurance of that type will cost treble the price of the gun,
none will be bought in the future should that happen. But what
happens when the bad guys (who don't pay attention to the laws) come
to rob, rape, or burgle you and your neighbors? They'll be the only
ones with guns.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

[email protected] December 28th 12 06:34 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

wrote:

We haven't and we won't. Every single home in Switzerland has a rifle
and handgun and every citizen is trained in their use. What's their
gun crime rate? GUNS don't cause crime, they prevent it.

No it is not the GUNS that prevent crime. It is the education and
training that reduce crime. Those guns are properly stored too.

If you pull out a gun in front of a criminal, they'll flee. This
doesn't take education or training, though most concealed weapons
permit owners have both.

They will either flee or you (or they) will be dead. If you pull a
gun, you need to be ready and willing to use it. and DEAD SURE that
you can defend your use of deadly force in a court of law.

Yes, the fact that everybody knows every home is armed may act as a
deterrent to crimes against property - but those guns are NOT carried
and the general citizenry walking on the streets or driving in their
cars is NOT armed.

Right, but thosee approached by criminals on the street who show a
weapon are usually not victims. The criminals, generally, wisely
choose not to screw with them. This is called "an unfired gun
preventing a crime" in our country. Do you disagree?

There are significant numbers of cases where someone, known to be
armed (by showing the weapon as a deterrent), is then killed "from
behind" shortly after. Perticularly in "gang related" shootings - even
if the guy shot is NOT gang involved. Get into a conflict with a
gang-banger and count on the showing of a gun as a deterent??? Count
on being dead shortly. If not immediately, courtesy of one of his
armed friends. Having a gun is NO guarantee you will not be shot -
and a pretty good incentive for a criminal targetting you to KILL you
before you can get him.

Mike Marlow[_2_] December 28th 12 07:09 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

wrote:

NO law has any effect if it has no teeth and is not enforced.
Laws in the USA (and many other countries) are innefective because
there is no enforcement - because there is NO public desire to fund
law enforcement to the level required to enforce those laws.

Yes, some, or many, of those laws are flawed and should be revoked -
but even GOOD laws are to a large degree un-enforceable - and often
also unevenly applied with a heavily biased hand.

So your proposed solution Clare, is to create more laws and more regulation?
Somehow that just does not make any sense.

--

-Mike-

Doug Miller[_4_] December 28th 12 07:27 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:kbkqhp$m2$1@dont-
email.me:

wrote:

NO law has any effect if it has no teeth and is not enforced.
Laws in the USA (and many other countries) are innefective because
there is no enforcement - because there is NO public desire to fund
law enforcement to the level required to enforce those laws.

Yes, some, or many, of those laws are flawed and should be revoked -
but even GOOD laws are to a large degree un-enforceable - and often
also unevenly applied with a heavily biased hand.

So your proposed solution Clare, is to create more laws and more regulation?
Somehow that just does not make any sense.

That's the knee-jerk response, every time something like this happens, from people whose
opinions are driven by emotions instead of thought. News flash, Clare and Han: it's
*already* illegal to commit murder. If someone is willing to disregard that law, what makes
you think that he's going to obey *whatever* new laws you propose?

This is equivalent to believing that by wishing something, you can make it happen. When
four-year-olds do that, it's cute. When adults do that, it's delusional.

Dave Balderstone December 28th 12 09:35 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

In article ,
wrote:

The insurance companies would set the premiums based on risk /loss
ratios.

Such policies can be purchased in Canada and the US.

Can you demonstrate that they have had any effect on the illegal use of
legally obtained weapons?

Please cite your sources.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

Dave Balderstone December 28th 12 09:35 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:32:25 -0500, wrote:

On 28 Dec 2012 12:40:34 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:kbi9p2$mqs$1
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

[...]

I'm curious as to what insurance company would offer a liability policy
against illegal use of personal property.

I can't even get homeowners insurance with that kind of coverage!

For legal liability, though, one can purchase a 5 million policy for
$10/year here in Canada. I'm sure they exist in the US as well.

Here, the policies cover LEGAL activities (quoting
http://nfa.ca/nfa-insurance):

"The policy offered by the National Firearms Association covers an
individual or club for $5,000,000.00 in liability coverage.
This is NOT an aggregate amount. It is $5,000,000.00 in Liability
Insurance for any claim.
Each individual, or each individual member of an NFA insured club, is
covered for:
- Legal hunting activities
- Legal bowhunting activities
- Legal range shooting activities
- Legal range archery activities
- Legal fishing activities
- Legal re-enactment activities
Anywhere in the World!

Dave Balderstone December 28th 12 09:35 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

In article , Han
wrote:

Selling these types of weapons comes with the
responsibility to know who you are selling them too. Or are you going to
give drug pushers a pass, because it is really the users who are the
criminals?

So GM, Ford, etc, are actually responsible, legally, when someone
drives a vehicle while impaired?

Is the grocery store responsible for harm you cause by giving seafood
you bought there to someone with an allergy?

Is the garden canter responsible if someone eats the castor plant beans
in my garden and gets sick, because I bought the seedling from them?

Your argument is absurd. What color is the sky in YOUR world?

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 29th 12 12:39 AM

wrote:

[...]

Oh, yeah? In what movie? g Sheesh...

if the guy shot is NOT gang involved. Get into a conflict with a
gang-banger and count on the showing of a gun as a deterent??? Count
on being dead shortly. If not immediately, courtesy of one of his
armed friends. Having a gun is NO guarantee you will not be shot -
and a pretty good incentive for a criminal targetting you to KILL you
before you can get him.

True, but would you rather be armed during that conflict or completely
disarmed? Any sane person would rather be armed. It gives them a
chance at life. Of course, even an armed sane person would go around
any situation like that if they saw it in time. Avoidance is always
much better than knowingly walking into an ambush.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 29th 12 12:42 AM

wrote:

Even if your dreams came true and every single legally owned and
registered EVIL GUN was taken out of our hands and melted down,
tomorrow would be a red letter day in the life of criminals. You see,
all their guns would be black market, and the number coming across the
borders (from Mexico and Canada) would increase 100-fold to keep up
with their wants and needs. Only NOW, with all the rest of us
disarmed, they'd do anything and everything they wanted all day long.
Are you happy now?

By the way, a crazy with a machete could walk into a crowd and take
down twenty or thirty people about as fast as a criminal with a gun.
Terrorism is entirely unstoppable, with or without guns in the mix.

Black market guns coming FROM CANADA? - extremely few.

Guns, illegal aliens, and terrorists are streaming in from CA to the
USA daily. Bet on it. Lots of black market items come up the St.
Lawrence and into both our countries through the Great Lakes.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Dave Balderstone December 29th 12 12:54 AM

wrote:

For legal liability, though, one can purchase a 5 million policy for
$10/year here in Canada. I'm sure they exist in the US as well.

Business insurance has cost me between $750 and $1,200 per year for
half a million liability, and that's with zero claims against it. They
want to double it if I do roofing or framing. You have it lucky up
there in Canuckistan. Hell, our ins guys want almost $10 for a
zeroxed copy of our own policy. ;)

That's just for legal shooting, Larry, through the firearms owners
association up here. Your business insurance costs are about the same
as mine.

Dave Balderstone December 29th 12 12:54 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Do you want to enforce a costly added "drunk insurance" to every
vehicle driver's policy, because some people drive drunk? Liability
insurance for rocks, sticks, ball bats, screwdrivers, vases, wrenches,
and bricks? (each of these have been used to kill many people) Where
do you stop?

DC units. Because of the sawdust explosion epidemic, y'know.

Dave Balderstone December 29th 12 12:54 AM

wrote:

Guns, illegal aliens, and terrorists are streaming in from CA to the
USA daily. Bet on it. Lots of black market items come up the St.
Lawrence and into both our countries through the Great Lakes.

Mostly through Mohawk reserves.

Han December 29th 12 01:07 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 28 Dec 2012 12:40:34 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:kbi9p2$mqs$1 @dont-email.me:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

[...]

OK, why, specifically, would liability insurance be necessary and how
would it be used? Why are you offering this added billions of dollars
of windfall to the insurance companies and why do you wish to thrust
it upon so many law-abiding citizens against their will?

I see a need for liability insurance for the chance that one's weapon is
stolen from an (un)protected area. People make mistakes and have to
face the consequences. Insurance would be good. The analogy is your
home and car. Even if it is really not your fault, someone may fall on
your property and in the current system of liability, you still may be
found at least partially at fault. Moreover, a requirement for
insurance would leave another paper trail. (Apparently, a neighbor
bought the guns for Spengler, totally illegally, and now she will have
to face the music). Liability insurance would present an added hurdle.
I know, what about the millions of responsible and legal owners? That
is then the price to be paid to have those guns available.

Several hundreds of millions of weapons are handled every year without
incident. Why would you change that? Just because you don't like
guns? How would it protect against misuse by those few who do?
Remember, only the law-abiding folks would be forced to buy insurance.
None of the criminals would have it or get it. How would it change
anything or stop crime? Answer: It would not and could not.

The current laws and rules are too darn porous. If you and other
responsible owners can make the few who act irreponsibly now to change
their ways, we can relax the rules again. Right now the many good
people will have to suffer for the few irresponsible ones. It is not
fair to have kids and firefighters lose their lives just so a bunch of
gun lovers can have their way without restraint.

I believe in teaching all children to swim at an early age so they
never have the chance to drown. I'd add weapons handling to that
training, for people of all ages, if I were in charge.

When I was 8, my mother took my younger sister and me to the next bigger
city to learn swimming. At least 1/2 hour on a crowded bus eaxh way (we
didn't have a car). That was how important it was to my parents, and
that is exactly how I feel about it today. I also was told not to go
some places near our town, because they had been used as practice ranges
by the German occupiers, and unexploded stuff was still being found then
(and even now, occasionally). Perhaps in the US it is good policy to
teach the proper handling of firearms. It was a sought after thing in
boy scout camps in the 70's and 80's (I believe) until premiums for
liability insurance got too much for the troops. I have no idea how
that is now.

Especially for
the cops who keep shooting innocent bystanders. Why aren't you
lamenting over (and vocal activist against) that instead of trying to
bankrupt us law-abiding citizens who never shoot anyone, Han?

I lament that but luckily it doesn't happen all that often, though such
incidents are not rare enough. If people can afford thousands of
dollars to purchase the weapons and the ammunition, they should be able
to afford the insurance.

BTW, where are you getting your information which points you in this
direction, anyway? That needs to be looked into, for all our sakes.

I read, Larry, and I make up my own opinions as well.

--
Best regards
Han

Han December 29th 12 01:19 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:281220121535143685%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca:

In article , Han
wrote:

Selling these types of weapons comes with the
responsibility to know who you are selling them too. Or are you
going to give drug pushers a pass, because it is really the users who
are the criminals?

So GM, Ford, etc, are actually responsible, legally, when someone
drives a vehicle while impaired?

Is the grocery store responsible for harm you cause by giving seafood
you bought there to someone with an allergy?

Is the garden canter responsible if someone eats the castor plant
beans in my garden and gets sick, because I bought the seedling from
them?

Your argument is absurd. What color is the sky in YOUR world?

I guess anything can and will be misinterpreted. Sorry I wasn't more
clear. If I legally were to buy a firearm, and it was stolen from me
while not in a well-locked safe of some kind (like when I left it on the
table and left the door open to get a gallon of milk), then I should be
held responsible for leaving an attractive nuisance. I believe that is
some kind of legal doctrine under which I can be held responsible for
someone's injuries when he sees my motorcycle on my preperty, tries to
"borrow" it and it falls on him. If a kid eats your castor beans (which
were unfenced next to the public road) and gets sick badly, then you
might indeed be liable.

I think that if I had the weapon in a well-locked safe, and the thief had
to go to a lot of trouble (breaking and entering, forcing open a safe,
etc) then I would be less liable.

I agree that these things might be absurd in many if not most people's
views, however ask your insurance agent and lawyer about it.

--
Best regards
Han

Han December 29th 12 01:29 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...-empirestate-p
olice-idUSBRE87Q04X20120827 ALL bystanders wounded by police.

Did you look into the situation details? Of course there was an
investigation whose bullets hit whom. On crowded sidewalk like that it was
impossible not to hurt bystanders. The argument you use is a misuse of
facts. Could the police perhaps have handled the situation differently?
Maybe. However, their duty is to prevent harm to citizens, and here was an
armed guy who had just cold-bloodedly shot to kil a former colleague. In
the officers' opinion they had to get him fast. Then the guy raised a gun
and tried to shoot the police. I am unsure whether or not police are now
being trained to get a guy like that differently, because there was much
critique of their ways at the time, although the police officials were
defending the tactics.

--
Best regards
Han

Doug Miller[_4_] December 29th 12 02:20 AM

Han wrote in :

I see a need for liability insurance for the chance that one's weapon is
stolen from an (un)protected area. People make mistakes and have to
face the consequences. Insurance would be good. The analogy is your
home and car.

OK, let's explore the car analogy a bit. Suppose someone steals your car. Your automobile
liability insurance DOES NOT cover whatever damage the thief might do with, or using, the car.
And you are not liable for what the thief does. The THIEF is. Even if your car is unlocked. Even
if you left the keys in it. Even if you left the engine running.

Mike Marlow[_2_] December 29th 12 02:46 AM

Han wrote:

I agree that these things might be absurd in many if not most people's
views, however ask your insurance agent and lawyer about it.

Not a bad idea, but a better idea would be for you to provide evidence that
this liability really exists. Perhaps you could provide insurance industry
documents that outline the policy holder's liability in situations like
this, or case evidence from a lawyer that supports your claim. It's your
assertion, so you should provide the backup for it.

--

-Mike-

Dave Balderstone December 29th 12 03:12 AM

wrote:

I see a need for liability insurance for the chance that one's weapon is
stolen from an (un)protected area. People make mistakes and have to
face the consequences. Insurance would be good.

Or juries could ruin gun owners in lawsuits... Has that happened? Why
or why not?

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 29th 12 03:39 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On 29 Dec 2012 01:07:01 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 28 Dec 2012 12:40:34 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:kbi9p2$mqs$1 @dont-email.me:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

[...]

Huh? Bureaucracy reduces crime?

(Apparently, a neighbor
bought the guns for Spengler, totally illegally, and now she will have
to face the music).

Right. Buying a gun for another person is illegal and she is a
criminal. She should be punished for it as an accessory to murder.
Nuke the bitz.

Liability insurance would present an added hurdle.
I know, what about the millions of responsible and legal owners? That
is then the price to be paid to have those guns available.

Again, why punish the good for what the bad guys do? It changes
absolutely nothing as far as crimes being committed. You're simply
punishing us for liking guns. That's not right.

Several hundreds of millions of weapons are handled every year without
incident. Why would you change that? Just because you don't like
guns? How would it protect against misuse by those few who do?
Remember, only the law-abiding folks would be forced to buy insurance.
None of the criminals would have it or get it. How would it change
anything or stop crime? Answer: It would not and could not.

The current laws and rules are too darn porous. If you and other
responsible owners can make the few who act irreponsibly now to change
their ways, we can relax the rules again. Right now the many good
people will have to suffer for the few irresponsible ones. It is not

That's because the Left won't let the Right punish the bad guys. They
seem to think that vigilante action is bad and criminals are good.
shrug

fair to have kids and firefighters lose their lives just so a bunch of
gun lovers can have their way without restraint.

That's not at all what happened and you know it, Han. If you want
someone to blame, blame yourselves. Your ACLU created the atmosphere
to let the crazies on the loose. This is what they do when not being
properly treated with chemicals to balance their moods.

And if this is "without restraint", I'd hate to see what you
considered a well regulated atmosphere.

[...]

Worse. Ditto auto, wood, and metal shops for kids nowadays. The
bloody attorneys ruined it for all of us. Things which made our
country strong are now regulated out. RIP U.S.A.

Especially for
the cops who keep shooting innocent bystanders. Why aren't you
lamenting over (and vocal activist against) that instead of trying to
bankrupt us law-abiding citizens who never shoot anyone, Han?

I lament that but luckily it doesn't happen all that often, though such
incidents are not rare enough. If people can afford thousands of
dollars to purchase the weapons and the ammunition, they should be able
to afford the insurance.

Oh, come on. Most people don't have thousands to throw into gun
collections. Most of us have only one or two guns with investments
less than $500 over a period of years. Please don't think that the
typical gun owner is a rich SOB, because most aren't. (my pistol cost
$240, and I saved up for it.) It's just the media which keeps pushing
that picture around, regardless of the truth. Some hunters spend
thousands on expeditions, but that takes the place of their regular
vacation. Guns are their hobby, so the hobby money goes into that
instead of RC airplanes, stamp collections, woodworking tools, etc.

BTW, where are you getting your information which points you in this
direction, anyway? That needs to be looked into, for all our sakes.

I read, Larry, and I make up my own opinions as well.

What are you reading which skews you toward that direction? I think
it's dangerous, whatever it is. You want to push extravagant tolls on
folks, ruining the lives of people who are doing nothing illegal and
are harming nobody. It's unfair as hell, and totally unfounded.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 29th 12 03:58 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On 29 Dec 2012 01:29:58 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...-empirestate-p
olice-idUSBRE87Q04X20120827 ALL bystanders wounded by police.

Did you look into the situation details? Of course there was an
investigation whose bullets hit whom. On crowded sidewalk like that it was
impossible not to hurt bystanders. The argument you use is a misuse of
facts.

Huh? The police missed the guy and hit others instead. How am I
misuing facts when I'm talking about the poor training of the police?

Could the police perhaps have handled the situation differently?
Maybe. However, their duty is to prevent harm to citizens, and here was an
armed guy who had just cold-bloodedly shot to kil a former colleague. In
the officers' opinion they had to get him fast. Then the guy raised a gun
and tried to shoot the police. I am unsure whether or not police are now
being trained to get a guy like that differently, because there was much
critique of their ways at the time, although the police officials were
defending the tactics.

Look at the statistics about cops vs. civilian shootings. Cops hit
more bystanders almost every time because their skills are not good.
Didn't someone just post a link to that stat last week? (or was that a
different newsgroup?)

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/spe...tatistics.html
or http://tinyurl.com/c6javz3 shows a 34% hit rate. That's two
thirds of police bullets going wild. I call that totally
unacceptable. In my book, everyone needs more training on how to
properly shoot a gun. And everyone needs to spend more time
practicing, myself included.

Cops should have a lot of close quarters tactical training that
they're evidently not getting. "It costs too much money." their chiefs
say. Civilian deaths are a direct result of that decision, and I
think that's criminal in itself. Call your police chief and ask if he
thinks your guys in blue are getting enough training, and if not, why
not.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

[email protected] December 29th 12 04:41 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:58:34 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Cops should have a lot of close quarters tactical training that
they're evidently not getting. "It costs too much money." their chiefs
say. Civilian deaths are a direct result of that decision, and I
think that's criminal in itself. Call your police chief and ask if he
thinks your guys in blue are getting enough training, and if not, why
not.

Check your facts. It is NOT the cheifs who say it costs too much.
It's the tax payers. You want your cops properly trained, stop
bitching about increased taxes. Municipal taxes pay for your local
LEO. State taxes pay for your state police.Federal taxes pay for your
federal law enforcement, and provide transfer payments to your states
and municipalities. Demanding zero tax increases gets you exactly what
you are willing to pay for. Same goes for "controlling" mental illness
and the mentally ill and dangerous.
You need health care that is affordable to take care of these people,
and facilities to safely house those that cannot be controlled, and
the will to do it. ALL cost taxpayer money.
If you are going to incarserate criminals instead of turning them back
onto the street it is going to cost a whole lot more.

Cheaper over-all to eliminate the poverty at the root of much of
American crime. But your two levels of government keep thowing ****
at each other driving the country closer and closer to the cliff -
because they think they are doing what their electoratr demands.

J. Clarke[_2_] December 29th 12 05:21 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Han wrote in :

Gang killings very often involve innocent bystanders. These aren't sniper-
like, but wild shooyouts from passing cars, rooftops, or just plain on
crowded streets.

Too true. The solution to that problem, though, isn't to ban firearms (since the criminals will
have them anyway) -- it's to dry up the funding source for the street gangs, by legalizing drugs.
Seriously.

Legalizing drugs may make a small dent in their funding. Legalize
prostitution and you will dry up another SIGNIFICANT source of gang
revenue - if by legalizing it you can guarantee that NOBODY will be
fighting over the profits/control of the trade.
Legalizing tobacco has not eliminated the trade in illicit (untaxed)
tobacco,

Only because the taxes on tobacco have been raised to a ludicrous level
in a stupid and misguided effort at a back-door ban.

and the criminal element involvement in it's production,
impoortation, and distribution.

So how significant is this involvement by a "criminal element"? Please
state your source.

Same can be said for booze. Still lots of bootlegging going on, and
smuggling/sale of untaxed liquor. Remove the profits from drugs and
the criminal element / gangs will just find something more attractive
to make their money on - and continue killing over it.

"Lots"? I'd like to see your source on that.

J. Clarke[_2_] December 29th 12 05:26 AM

wrote:

We haven't and we won't. Every single home in Switzerland has a rifle
and handgun and every citizen is trained in their use. What's their
gun crime rate? GUNS don't cause crime, they prevent it.

No it is not the GUNS that prevent crime. It is the education and
training that reduce crime. Those guns are properly stored too.

If you pull out a gun in front of a criminal, they'll flee. This
doesn't take education or training, though most concealed weapons
permit owners have both.

They will either flee or you (or they) will be dead. If you pull a
gun, you need to be ready and willing to use it. and DEAD SURE that
you can defend your use of deadly force in a court of law.

I think that a civilian using a firearm in self defense should be held
to the same standard as a cop who does so. That is to say a board of
his buddies should review the shooting and if they decide that it was
"righteous" then he's off the hook. Either that or every time a cop
shoots somebody let a jury decided whether he was justified.

Yes, the fact that everybody knows every home is armed may act as a
deterrent to crimes against property - but those guns are NOT carried
and the general citizenry walking on the streets or driving in their
cars is NOT armed.

Right, but thosee approached by criminals on the street who show a
weapon are usually not victims. The criminals, generally, wisely
choose not to screw with them. This is called "an unfired gun
preventing a crime" in our country. Do you disagree?

There are significant numbers of cases where someone, known to be
armed (by showing the weapon as a deterrent), is then killed "from
behind" shortly after. Perticularly in "gang related" shootings - even
if the guy shot is NOT gang involved.

There are? Please state your source.

Get into a conflict with a
gang-banger and count on the showing of a gun as a deterent??? Count
on being dead shortly. If not immediately, courtesy of one of his
armed friends. Having a gun is NO guarantee you will not be shot -
and a pretty good incentive for a criminal targetting you to KILL you
before you can get him.

Wearing full body armor, riding in an armored vehicle, and surrounding
yourself with highly trained armed guards is no guarantee that you will
not be shot. You claim that being shot is a likely outcome of being
armed and showing a weapon, state your source.

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 29th 12 05:43 AM

wrote:

Cops should have a lot of close quarters tactical training that
they're evidently not getting. "It costs too much money." their chiefs
say. Civilian deaths are a direct result of that decision, and I
think that's criminal in itself. Call your police chief and ask if he
thinks your guys in blue are getting enough training, and if not, why
not.

Check your facts. It is NOT the cheifs who say it costs too much.

It is in the reports I've read. I'd just as soon keep the cops from
chasing after speeders so they could go after bad guys. Release pot
smokers from prison and save a billion. That'd buy plenty of ammo
while not putting any violent criminals back on the street.

It's the tax payers. You want your cops properly trained, stop
bitching about increased taxes. Municipal taxes pay for your local
LEO. State taxes pay for your state police.Federal taxes pay for your
federal law enforcement, and provide transfer payments to your states
and municipalities. Demanding zero tax increases gets you exactly what
you are willing to pay for. Same goes for "controlling" mental illness
and the mentally ill and dangerous.

If we cut dozens of useless branches of the US Gov't tree, there would
be money for training with existing taxes.

You need health care that is affordable to take care of these people,
and facilities to safely house those that cannot be controlled, and
the will to do it. ALL cost taxpayer money.

We need to totally overhaul the healthcare system to get that. $22
aspirin tablets should not exist. $700k hour-long surgeries shouldn't
exist, ad nauseam.

If you are going to incarserate criminals instead of turning them back
onto the street it is going to cost a whole lot more.

I'm more of an-eye-for-an-eye kinda guy. Kill someone, you get the
same treatment. The Left nixes that. Now the criminals have more
rights than the rest of us who have done nothing wrong.

Cheaper over-all to eliminate the poverty at the root of much of
American crime. But your two levels of government keep thowing ****
at each other driving the country closer and closer to the cliff -
because they think they are doing what their electoratr demands.

No, the CONgress doesn't give a **** what we want. Whatever they do
at work is all about themselves, power, and money, (the latter two not
necessarily in that order.)

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

Dave[_52_] December 29th 12 07:16 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:06:54 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
Talk about inane... why on earth would you think we'd need extra law enforcement to deal
with *fewer* crimes? Nobody would be investigating drug traffickers any more, or drug
users.

Drug addicts who need a fix are frequently unable to control their
desire to get that next hit. What happens after they run out of money
buying these legalized drugs? ~ Same as now. Cheat, steal, rob to get
the money for their drug habit. Drug addiction destroys homes, lives
and people.

Instead of sitting on your thumb rotating Miller, why don't you have a
look at the stats for oxycontin, percoset and oxy condone? Those pain
killers are legal now and yet they sell on the street for much more
than the drug store prescription.

Explain to me how it would be different if they were legalized and
marketed. There would still be a black market and a trail of destroyed
lives.

Dave[_52_] December 29th 12 07:18 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 13:25:26 -0500, wrote:
Black market guns coming FROM CANADA? - extremely few.

In fact, it's EXACTLY the opposite. A significant amount of guns in
Canada come from the US.

Dave[_52_] December 29th 12 07:25 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 15:35:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone
Here, the policies cover LEGAL activities (quoting
http://nfa.ca/nfa-insurance):

Do you want to know WHY that insurance is so cheap up here? It's
because there are so few gun owners and guns are significantly more
controlled than down in the US. That means the chance of something
happening on a gun range is much less.

If Canadian gun ownership was as prevalent as it was in the US,
insurance rates would be much higher.

Dave[_52_] December 29th 12 07:29 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:42:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Guns, illegal aliens, and terrorists are streaming in from CA to the
USA daily. Bet on it. Lots of black market items come up the St.
Lawrence and into both our countries through the Great Lakes.

You're full of crap. Some maybe, but certainly not in the numbers your
feeble mind apparently likes to imagine.

If you're going to come up with this bull****, at least post some
verifiable stats to back it up.

Dave[_52_] December 29th 12 07:32 AM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:54:27 -0600, Dave Balderstone
Mostly through Mohawk reserves.

There's native Americans down your way too. I guess our native
Canadians are all bands of criminals while your native Americans are
docile citizens.

As usual Balderstone, you're full of crap. Unverifiable crap.

Doug Miller[_4_] December 29th 12 01:27 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Dave wrote in
:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:06:54 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
Talk about inane... why on earth would you think we'd need extra law enforcement to deal
with *fewer* crimes? Nobody would be investigating drug traffickers any more, or drug
users.

Drug addicts who need a fix are frequently unable to control their
desire to get that next hit. What happens after they run out of money
buying these legalized drugs? ~ Same as now. Cheat, steal, rob to get
the money for their drug habit.

Difference is that legalization will lower the price, thus making these outcomes less likely,
and less drastic.

Drug addiction destroys homes, lives and people.

No argument there at all.

Instead of sitting on your thumb rotating Miller,

Are you able to have a rational discussion without personally insulting those who disagree
with you?

why don't you have a
look at the stats for oxycontin, percoset and oxy condone? Those pain
killers are legal now and yet they sell on the street for much more
than the drug store prescription.

Ya think the difference in price might be due to it being illegal to buy them *without* a
prescription?

Explain to me how it would be different if they were legalized and
marketed. There would still be a black market and a trail of destroyed
lives.

They'd be cheaper. Sure, there would still be a black market, just like there still is in alcohol
and tobacco, but it would -- like alcohol and tobacco -- be a much smaller black market
than exists now when they are banned, and its destructive effects would be correspondingly
smaller.

Drug prohibition, like alcohol prohibition, does not and cannot work: in a free market, if there
is a demand for a product or service, someone will provide a supply. The ONLY way to
stop the drug problem is to address the demand side, by regarding it as a public health
problem instead of a criminal justice problem. Instead of putting people in jail for the
"crime" of getting stoned in private, we need to address the social conditions that cause
them to prefer getting stoned to a normal, un-stoned daily life.

What those social conditions are, and how they should be corrected, is a subject for
another discussion.

Doug Miller[_4_] December 29th 12 01:28 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

Dave wrote in news:a96td85pab7lsmqfpdvprvbika71ulqbij@
4ax.com:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 13:25:26 -0500, wrote:
Black market guns coming FROM CANADA? - extremely few.

In fact, it's EXACTLY the opposite. A significant amount of guns in
Canada come from the US.

I'm curious -- do you have a cite for that? I thought that Canada had pretty strict controls over
importing firearms.

John Grossbohlin[_3_] December 29th 12 03:30 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

Wearing full body armor, riding in an armored vehicle, and surrounding
yourself with highly trained armed guards is no guarantee that you will
not be shot.

That is for sure... Ronald Reagan was probably the most protected man in
America when he was shot...

Not much can stop a goal oriented attacker... and with the option of weapons
substitution, a worldwide total elimination of guns wouldn't stop them
either.

This reality leaves people feeling somewhat helpless so doing something,
regardless of how ill conceived that something may be, is deemed to be
better than doing nothing. A thoughtful society with thoughtful leaders
would see the folly of this... But there is also a public opinion reality
about which a sociologist associate of mine is fond of quoting his
grandmother, "The masses is asses."

One would hope that our elected officials are not asses... but that too is
often folly so "something" will be done. Here is an example of what will be
coming up for debate:

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Of particular interest is this section:
a.. Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National
Firearms Act, to include:
a.. Background check of owner and any transferee;
b.. Type and serial number of the firearm;
c.. Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
d.. Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that
possession would not violate State or local law; and
e.. Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
What this means is that currently owned semi-automatic firearms classified
as "assault weapons" under this law would need to be registered (read
licensed and potentially taxed) under the same procedures as fully-automatic
firearms. The NFA currently calls for a $200 transfer tax for full auto
weapons... plus approval of local law enforcement. I have associates in
non-NY states who own Class III weapons and the biggest stumbling block they
report is the local law enforcement. They don't have to justify a denial...
John

[email protected] December 29th 12 06:34 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:21:42 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Han wrote in :

[...]

Millions of dollars of "untaxed liquor" is produced in the
Kentukee/Tennesee /Virginia/North Carolina backwoods every year. And
the numbers are going up, not down, dispite law enforcement efforts.

Real big business in places like Rocky Mount. ANd that does not even
start to touch the extent of it. Thousands of gallons of liquor are
smuggled into the USA (and Canada) every year, but compared to the
untaxed cigarette business, it is small potatoes.

Ed Pawlowski December 29th 12 06:39 PM

A Not So Merry Christmas in Webster, NY

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:02:17 -0500, wrote:

Up here in "Canukistan" our motor vehicle insurance is "no-fault" -
so even if the other moron has no insurance you are covered. Your
insurance company goes after his ass for you. No recoverable assets?
He'll never drive, legally, again. He will be uninsureable.

I bet that has done a lot to keep law breakers off the road too.

It is truly a dumb law if the guy really wants to comply and reform in
the future, he is now forced to drive illegally. Smart thinking.

[email protected] December 29th 12 06:40 PM

wrote:

Guns, illegal aliens, and terrorists are streaming in from CA to the
USA daily. Bet on it. Lots of black market items come up the St.
Lawrence and into both our countries through the Great Lakes.

You're full of crap. Some maybe, but certainly not in the numbers your
feeble mind apparently likes to imagine.

If you're going to come up with this bull****, at least post some
verifiable stats to back it up.

Correct. WAY more illegal **** coming north across the border from
the USA than going south from Canada.

Pot going south from BC? You bet. But more guns, liquor, and hard
drugs coming north.. More illegal immigrants coming into Canada
through the USA than the other direction as well.

Why would anyone come through Canada to get to the states, when they
can get welfare and health care in Canada that puts the USA to
shame?????