Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Redwood boards

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 12, 2012 8:25:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.

Always god for any outdoor item. Small garden bench, potting stand, bird houses. You see the clear heart used in wine cellars.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:37:02 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On Monday, November 12, 2012 8:25:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.

Always god for any outdoor item. Small garden bench, potting stand, bird houses. You see the clear heart used in wine cellars.

I'd make a small bench or an outdoor table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 12, 2012 10:25:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.

That might be about enough to build a Adirondack chair. I built a couple of them from Redwood this summer and finished them in natural color. Beautiful wood.

There are lots of plans on the web but I used a Norm Abram plan that was in Popular Mechanics a few years back.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.

Cut out animal (or other) figures, sand, drill hole, put in leather or
other strip to hang with and give away for christmas as aromatic
closet hangers for keeping moths and other pests out.

Small keepsake boxes for special items for christmas.

I'm certain there are plenty of things to do with cedar, it just
depends on if you want it for yourself or other(s).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:49:24 AM UTC-6, Casper wrote:
Cut out animal (or other) figures, sand, drill hole, put in leather or other strip to hang with and give away for christmas as aromatic closet hangers for keeping moths and other pests out. Small keepsake boxes for special items for christmas. I'm certain there are plenty of things to do with cedar, it just depends on if you want it for yourself or other(s).

Oppsie! Though (aromatic) cedar is a reddish wood, it is not Redwood. But redwood would make for some nice figurines, also.

Child's bench and the scraps into figurines or other small decor. Lots of things. Indoor planter (bucket, or matching buckets)- http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:42:13 -0800 (PST), RonB wrote:

On Monday, November 12, 2012 10:25:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.

That might be about enough to build a Adirondack chair. I built a couple of them from Redwood this summer and finished them in natural color. Beautiful wood.

There are lots of plans on the web but I used a Norm Abram plan that was in Popular Mechanics a few years back.

RonB

Ala-Kazaaaam!!

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...irondack-chair
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roy" wrote:

That might be about enough to build a Adirondack chair. I built a
couple of them from Redwood this summer and finished them in natural
color. Beautiful wood.

There are lots of plans on the web but I used a Norm Abram plan that
was in Popular Mechanics a few years back.

Ala-Kazaaaam!!

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...irondack-chair

SFWIW:

Plans for that chair can be purchased directly from NYW for $10.95.

Includes plans for a foot stool.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

They do have a tight grain pattern, but I thought that was typical of redwood grain. They are old he hadn't done any woodworking for over 15 years and this was just some of the wood from his stockpile.

Any tips for finishing redwood? I think I am going to make some type of box.

Thanks for all the response
Junior Member

Hi everyone
today am newbie here and i want to say that Redwood is supposed to be weather resistant so finish might not be needed. The area I am planning to build the bench is is a desert environment so rain isn't a major problem.
gold coast timber supplies

Last edited by Anderson0 : November 14th 12 at 06:29 PM
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:49:24 AM UTC-6, Casper wrote:
Cut out animal (or other) figures, sand, drill hole, put in leather or other
strip to hang with and give away for christmas as aromatic closet hangers
for keeping moths and other pests out. Small keepsake boxes for special
items for christmas. I'm certain there are plenty of things to do with cedar,
it just depends on if you want it for yourself or other(s).

Oppsie! Though (aromatic) cedar is a reddish wood, it is not Redwood. But redwood would make for some nice figurines, also.

Damn. That's what happens when I read and post before I have coffee.
What was I thinkiking?!?! You got the idea anyway. Oh well.

Child's bench and the scraps into figurines or other small decor. Lots of things.
Indoor planter (bucket, or matching buckets)- http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anderson0 wrote:
Hi everyone
today am newbie here and i want to say that Redwood is supposed to be
weather resistant so finish might not be needed. The area I am
planning to build the bench is is a desert environment so rain isn't
a major problem.

Ultraviolet is.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:07:52 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Roy" wrote:

That might be about enough to build a Adirondack chair. I built a

couple of them from Redwood this summer and finished them in natural

color. Beautiful wood.

There are lots of plans on the web but I used a Norm Abram plan that

was in Popular Mechanics a few years back.

Ala-Kazaaaam!!

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...irondack-chair

SFWIW:

Plans for that chair can be purchased directly from NYW for $10.95.

Includes plans for a foot stool.

Lew

I have a PDF of the plan, which I believe is the magazine article. A friend sent it to me and said he got it from the internet, but I was unable to locate it the other day.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Make outdoor (or den) picture frames ... Use it as trim around the back
doors - rip and shape as needed. Roof in the Dog House or
put in a 4x8' wall of redwood - Make seats for benches outside.

Make a bench or chair for the back / front porch.

Martin

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas wood stash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for projects with
Redwood? I have about 8, 3/4x6x8' boards that were in my grandpas
wood stash.

I salvaged several redwood boards from our old deck when we tore it down.
Most only had about 2-3 feet of usable length. I built some semi-circle
corner shelves for our bathroom, a couple of crafty projects, and a small
bookshelf for my wife. See "Peggy's Music Book Shelf" near the bottom of
this page:

http://www.mountain-software.com/pro...c-projects.htm

Anthony Watson
Home Cookin Recipe Software
www.homecookinsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:57:24 AM UTC-6, HerHusband wrote:
a couple of crafty projects, and a small bookshelf for my wife. See "Peggy's Music Book Shelf"

Very nice projects, all of them. ^5

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:57:24 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
I salvaged several redwood boards from our old deck when we tore it down.
Most only had about 2-3 feet of usable length. I built some semi-circle
corner shelves for our bathroom, a couple of crafty projects, and a small
bookshelf for my wife. See "Peggy's Music Book Shelf" near the bottom of
this page:

Works for me.

Soffit boards - like Hardie Boards; but not..? What is it? StarMan Home Repair 4 May 9th 08 06:57 PM
Redwood Saxman Woodworking 8 January 27th 08 10:37 PM
Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 03:11 PM
Best Way to Protect Redwood Buck Turgidson Woodworking 2 July 18th 05 10:47 PM
How to age Redwood SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 2 June 3rd 05 06:07 AM