Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Adhesive coated, collated finish nails?

I thought you could buy finish nails that had the adhesive coating on them that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability.
Thanks.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nails for nail guns have that feature.
I don't know of loose nails having that feature.
You would be laboring to drive them, as they would be setting each time
you hammered.

On 10/28/2012 10:55 AM, JayPique wrote:
I thought you could buy finish nails that had the adhesive coating on them that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability.
Thanks.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 11:23:02 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

Nails for nail guns have that feature. I don't know of loose nails
having that feature. You would be laboring to drive them, as they would
be setting each time you hammered.

I know they made them a few years back, I've still got some 3" left over
from a porch project.

And the adhesive doesn't set till the nail cools down. I guess if you
waited 10 seconds or more between hammer hits you might have a problem,
but not under normal use.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:55:39 AM UTC-4, JayPique wrote:
I thought you could buy finish nails that had the adhesive coating on them that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability.

Thanks.

JP

Finish nails were never cement coated. Cement coated nails come only as box nails and were a cheaper alternative to ring-shanked nails, usually used for sub-flooring. A good rule of thumb is to remember that nails are what hold a project together until the glue dries. A thin layer of phenolic glue or a bead of construction adhesive, whichever is appropriate to the application and the size of stock, along with a proper pattern of nailing for the job is the right procedure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 9:55 AM, JayPique wrote:
I thought you could buy finish nails that had the adhesive coating on them that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability.
Thanks.
JP

Pretty common for nail gun "nails" that are glued together side by side
to use that adhesive to hold them together and to glue them in the hole.

I would think that loose finish nails with this feature might be
difficult to drive unless you can drive a finish nail with one blow in
the exact direction you want. Remember that with each blow more of the
nail adheres to the hole making each blow increasingly difficult.

ICBR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 11:57 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 11:23:02 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

Nails for nail guns have that feature. I don't know of loose nails
having that feature. You would be laboring to drive them, as they would
be setting each time you hammered.

I know they made them a few years back, I've still got some 3" left over
from a porch project.

And the adhesive doesn't set till the nail cools down. I guess if you
waited 10 seconds or more between hammer hits you might have a problem,
but not under normal use.

You have 3" finish nails?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 10/28/2012 11:57 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 11:23:02 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

Nails for nail guns have that feature. I don't know of loose nails
having that feature. You would be laboring to drive them, as they
would be setting each time you hammered.

I know they made them a few years back, I've still got some 3" left
over from a porch project.

And the adhesive doesn't set till the nail cools down. I guess if
you waited 10 seconds or more between hammer hits you might have a
problem, but not under normal use.

You have 3" finish nails?

I do. When you live in a log home, you tend to have things that normal
people just don't encounter.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 9:22 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 10/28/2012 11:57 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 11:23:02 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

Nails for nail guns have that feature. I don't know of loose nails
having that feature. You would be laboring to drive them, as they
would be setting each time you hammered.

I know they made them a few years back, I've still got some 3" left
over from a porch project.

And the adhesive doesn't set till the nail cools down. I guess if
you waited 10 seconds or more between hammer hits you might have a
problem, but not under normal use.

You have 3" finish nails?

I do. When you live in a log home, you tend to have things that normal
people just don't encounter.

I actually have seen them and long ago had some but have not seen any in
a while. Maybe I should say I have not seen any because I have had
absolutely no need for finish nails that long. And I am not so sure
they were actually finish nails as they were much larger in diameter but
with a finish nail head. I don't consider a finish nail that leaves a
5/32" hole to be a finish nail so to speak.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:19:23 -0500, Leon wrote:

You have 3" finish nails?

Oops, my brain must have skipped that word. No, mine are common nails,
but I do see that another poster says he does have 3" finish nails.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 10:35 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:19:23 -0500, Leon wrote:

You have 3" finish nails?

Oops, my brain must have skipped that word. No, mine are common nails,
but I do see that another poster says he does have 3" finish nails.

Well to be fair I did not mean to sound as if there was no such thing.
IIRC I has some when I was a kid back in the 60's. ;~) They were
basically headless common nails and probably more commonly used before
specialty nail guns became main stream.

I was just surprised to hear that some one still had a supply. ;~) Now
I will go to HD and probably find countless boxes of 3" finish nails. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 10:48 AM, Leon wrote:
I was just surprised to hear that some one still had a supply. ;~) Now
I will go to HD and probably find countless boxes of 3" finish nails. LOL

"Finish" carpentry often requires SYP tubafours these days.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:55:17 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/29/2012 10:48 AM, Leon wrote:
I was just surprised to hear that some one still had a supply. ;~) Now
I will go to HD and probably find countless boxes of 3" finish nails. LOL

"Finish" carpentry often requires SYP tubafours these days.

No, finish uses QS SPF tubatoos. Framing requires SPF tubafores.
At least around here.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:23:07 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I actually have seen them and long ago had some but have not seen any in
a while. Maybe I should say I have not seen any because I have had
absolutely no need for finish nails that long.

When I was building the cedar garden furniture for a friend, I used
these nails from Lee Valley to attach the table top and the bench
tops.

They're not exactly finish nails, but the heads on them were certainly
smaller than regular common nails. The only problem with nails that
long is their tendency to collapse before they're hammered in all the
way. After the first one bent in me, I drilled pilot holes for all the
rest.

Damned things were expensive through.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 23:23:28 -0400, Dave wrote:
When I was building the cedar garden furniture for a friend, I used
these nails from Lee Valley to attach the table top and the bench
tops.

Forgot to post the link.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41324

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 10:23 PM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:23:07 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I actually have seen them and long ago had some but have not seen any in
a while. Maybe I should say I have not seen any because I have had
absolutely no need for finish nails that long.

When I was building the cedar garden furniture for a friend, I used
these nails from Lee Valley to attach the table top and the bench
tops.

They're not exactly finish nails, but the heads on them were certainly
smaller than regular common nails. The only problem with nails that
long is their tendency to collapse before they're hammered in all the
way. After the first one bent in me, I drilled pilot holes for all the
rest.

Damned things were expensive through.

The nails I was referring to long ago were actually 3" long witha finish
nail head and the nail was about 3/32" in diameter. Basically they were
framing nail caliber with out the big head. I suppose they were used
for flooring prior to the availability of modern nail guns.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 11:27 PM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 23:23:28 -0400, Dave wrote:
When I was building the cedar garden furniture for a friend, I used
these nails from Lee Valley to attach the table top and the bench
tops.

Forgot to post the link.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41324

Those still had pretty big heads.

This is what I am talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Nail-...1605836&sr=1-2
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:05:03 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/29/2012 11:27 PM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 23:23:28 -0400, Dave wrote:
When I was building the cedar garden furniture for a friend, I used
these nails from Lee Valley to attach the table top and the bench
tops.

Forgot to post the link.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41324

Those still had pretty big heads.

This is what I am talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Nail-...1605836&sr=1-2

Oh, yeah. Often used on exterior building trim & fascia. Steel for
painted use, galv for decking, etc.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Larry Blanchard , Denny wrote:
lblanch wrote:

Oops, my brain must have skipped that word. No, mine are common nails,
but I do see that another poster says he does have 3" finish nails.

Larry, would be nice if you'd leave your political views out of forums
like this.There are plenty of contentious sites where people might care
one way or another what you think about politics and religion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 1:44:04 PM UTC-6, Denny wrote:

Larry, would be nice if you'd leave your political views out of forums
like this.There are plenty of contentious sites where people might care
one way or another what you think about politics and religion.

Sheriff Denny:

You admonitions might be more appreciated if you policed someone that still participates here. It might also be more effective if you would target a thread a bit more current, not one 2 1/2 YEARS old.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

lblanch wrote:

Oops, my brain must have skipped that word. No, mine are common nails,
but I do see that another poster says he does have 3" finish nails.

Larry, would be nice if you'd leave your political views out of forums
like this.There are plenty of contentious sites where people might care
one way or another what you think about politics and religion.

--

Triggered!! Call the WAHHHBULANCE~!! Speaking against fascism is always appropriate you cog.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 10:55:39 AM UTC-4, JayPique wrote:
I thought you could buy finish nails that had the adhesive coating on them that melts from the friction of driving the nail and then rehardens. I'm having trouble finding them though...25d, 15g, 2.5" long. How about staples? Can you get them with adhesive too? I'm probably just being ridiculous, but it's for an overhead application and I want to be assured of long-term durability.
Thanks.
JP

Rosin coated nails. I bought 8d, not sure of other sizes that have it.