Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jeff Samudosky, Wood Carver

I saw a story on this guy the other day. He is one of those guys who has a
god given gift to create wonderful sculptures out of wood. No diagrams or
drawings. He just "frees the animal" from the wood. He specializes in
horses. His horse sculptures can bring $25,000. They are full size. He
does bears and other assorted wildlife. This guy is very good. This is his
website. He does most of the carving with chain saws.

http://www.jmswoodsculpture.com/

He has slide shows and pictures on three separate pages on the website. I
feel like a ham fisted cave man after looking at his stuff. Enjoy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I saw a story on this guy the other day. He is one of those guys who
has a god given gift to create wonderful sculptures out of wood. No
diagrams or drawings. He just "frees the animal" from the wood.

Obviously, he is talented. I think being able to "omit the drawings" is
commonly acquired after a lot of practice. I understand It saves a lot
of time too,and permits the carver to proceed in a more avant-garde way,
compared to following a highly-structured (conventional) approach.

He
specializes in horses. His horse sculptures can bring $25,000. They
are full size. He does bears and other assorted wildlife. This guy is
very good. This is his website. He does most of the carving with chain
saws.

When you said "chainsaw", I didn't expect to see such fine work!
I was pleasantly surprised! : )

Thanks!
Bill

http://www.jmswoodsculpture.com/

He has slide shows and pictures on three separate pages on the website.
I feel like a ham fisted cave man after looking at his stuff. Enjoy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:44:11 -0400, Bill wrote:

When you said "chainsaw", I didn't expect to see such fine work!
I was pleasantly surprised! : )

Thanks!
Bill

I was thinking the same. Most chainsaw work is rather course and
difficult to tell a bear from a pig. This is really refined.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:00:11 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

I saw a story on this guy the other day. He is one of those guys who has a
god given gift to create wonderful sculptures out of wood. No diagrams or
drawings. He just "frees the animal" from the wood. He specializes in
horses. His horse sculptures can bring $25,000. They are full size. He
does bears and other assorted wildlife. This guy is very good. This is his
website. He does most of the carving with chain saws.

http://www.jmswoodsculpture.com/

He has slide shows and pictures on three separate pages on the website. I
feel like a ham fisted cave man after looking at his stuff. Enjoy.

I like their wolves most of all, followed by the knights and their
horses.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2012 3:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:44:11 -0400, Bill wrote:

When you said "chainsaw", I didn't expect to see such fine work!
I was pleasantly surprised! : )

Thanks!
Bill

I was thinking the same. Most chainsaw work is rather course and
difficult to tell a bear from a pig. This is really refined.

It's a good illustration of what separates an artist from a craftsman.