Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody Using Plyboo/Bamboo Plywood?

I'm getting ready to build a cabinet and vanity for our bathroom(s)
remodel and was looking at a plywood list from the local supplier. I saw
some sheet products from this company...
http://www.kireiusa.com/

It includes, among many other unorthodox materials, bamboo laminated
plywood and it's all very stunning to look at.
They do some sort of carbonizing coloring process for the bamboo that
produces the same color throughout and it's my understanding that some
of these products do not require any finishing.

I'm very interested in using some of these cool materials and was
wondering if anyone in here has any real, practical experience with it.
Please save the rumors and friend and a friend of a sister-in-law
stories. I'm only interested to heat from people who have hands-on
experience. Thank you.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Please save the rumors and friend and a friend of a sister-in-law
stories. I'm only interested to heat from people who have hands-on
experience. Thank you.

Crap! And I had a great story about my ex-sister-in-law when she got drunk
one night...

Oh well, maybe 'nother time...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 15, 10:26*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

My only experience with bamboo laminated sheet goods was in the
countertop business. That was, in all fairness, quite a few years ago
(10-12).
The stuff stretched and contracted like a frikkin' Slinky™. A
countertop of just over 9 ft, pulled away from the wall by a solid
1/2" and along the back splash anywhere from 1/4' to 5/8". At that
time, they were all having those types of problems.
I do see them back in showrooms again, so maybe that problem has been
solved. (Unless it is for islands only)
Other than that, I would not dare to fabricate any casework from it. I
would use it to make doors (overlay only) because the stuff is some
pretty. I would leave myself quite a bit of room (gappage).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/16/12 2:29 AM, Robatoy wrote:

My only experience with bamboo laminated sheet goods was in the
countertop business. That was, in all fairness, quite a few years ago
(10-12).
The stuff stretched and contracted like a frikkin' Slinky™. A
countertop of just over 9 ft, pulled away from the wall by a solid
1/2" and along the back splash anywhere from 1/4' to 5/8". At that
time, they were all having those types of problems.
I do see them back in showrooms again, so maybe that problem has been
solved. (Unless it is for islands only)
Other than that, I would not dare to fabricate any casework from it. I
would use it to make doors (overlay only) because the stuff is some
pretty. I would leave myself quite a bit of room (gappage).

Thanks for the info, Rob!
Was the stuff you used solid or did it have several plies?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Got the Bamboo Plywood (pic)

Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/12 5:32 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
How thick is the veneer?
What's the substrate like?

I knew these questions would come up :-).....
http://www.mikedrums.com/plyboo_edge_2.jpg

It's all solid bamboo, 3 plies- top/bottom layers are 4mm, middle is 11mm.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow thats thick veneer. It looks nice.
How much was a 4x8 sheet. I think you told us a while back, but the mind
is not what it used to be...

On 6/30/2012 6:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/30/12 5:32 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
How thick is the veneer?
What's the substrate like?

I knew these questions would come up :-).....
http://www.mikedrums.com/plyboo_edge_2.jpg

It's all solid bamboo, 3 plies- top/bottom layers are 4mm, middle is 11mm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Looks great as is. How does it take to stain? Or what type of finish are
you going to use WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/12 7:27 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Wow thats thick veneer. It looks nice.
How much was a 4x8 sheet. I think you told us a while back, but the mind
is not what it used to be...

It goes for around $200+ on the internet, plus shipping which can easily
top 100 bucks.
Locally, at least $300 if you can find it in stock. Special orders will
be that much plus freight.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/12 7:29 PM, WW wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Looks great as is. How does it take to stain? Or what type of finish are
you going to use WW

It's supposed to stain just like wood. This isn't actually stained. It's
a process some call "carbonization" that gives a uniform color
throughout the entire depth of the bamboo. I suspect it may be some sort
of baking treatment that darkens it.

I'm looking to use a topcoat that will darken the darker area even more
and be a natural looking finish, satin at most. I'm considering that Old
Masters gel polyurethane that Leon uses, or good old shellac. Suggestion
are welcome.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 20:01:54 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 6/30/12 7:27 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Wow thats thick veneer. It looks nice.
How much was a 4x8 sheet. I think you told us a while back, but the mind
is not what it used to be...

It goes for around $200+ on the internet, plus shipping which can easily
top 100 bucks.
Locally, at least $300 if you can find it in stock. Special orders will
be that much plus freight.

Indeed, it's beautiful stuff. I looked on the Internet. It seems there is a
company that sells it for about $200 in Atlanta. I wonder if kitchen or
flooring places can get it? How does it glue? IIRC, bamboo floring calls for
a special (expensive) glue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

How heavy is that stuff compared to a sheet of regular plywood? Bamboo is
pretty light isn't it?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/12 8:54 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells
great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

How heavy is that stuff compared to a sheet of regular plywood? Bamboo
is pretty light isn't it?

First of all, get back over on Facebook. This was for all the
dial-up-ers. :-)

Secondly, it's pretty heavy. I think it's lighter than birch 7 ply, but
not by much.
One noticeable thing is how rigid it is. There's hardly any deflection
at all... some lengthwise and none noticeable width wise. Probably due
to the orientation of the middle ply.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in
:

On 6/30/12 5:32 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
How thick is the veneer?
What's the substrate like?

I knew these questions would come up :-).....
http://www.mikedrums.com/plyboo_edge_2.jpg

It's all solid bamboo, 3 plies- top/bottom layers are 4mm, middle is
11mm.

Wow! 4mm thick outer plies. That's just awesome! I'd be happy to have
1mm thick plies on the stuff they sell now. (If I want appearance grade
plywood, I think next time I'll cut my own veneers. Hope my ambition
does not outweigh my skill!)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

That is nice looking stuff Mike, , , but how well so you expect
paint to stick to it? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I knew these questions would come up :-).....
http://www.mikedrums.com/plyboo_edge_2.jpg

You dropped your pencil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:29:38 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

Can you make a pointy stick out of it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2012 9:19 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

First of all, get back over on Facebook. This was for all the
dial-up-ers. :-)

LOL ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/12 8:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

That is nice looking stuff Mike, , , but how well so you expect
paint to stick to it? ;~)

That was beautiful.

(we want it to have a natural cherry finish... so we're painting it
maroon.)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2012 11:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 8:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells
great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

That is nice looking stuff Mike, , , but how well so you expect
paint to stick to it? ;~)

That was beautiful.

(we want it to have a natural cherry finish... so we're painting it
maroon.)

One of my local suppliers in Houston has the same product samples, that
stuff is better looking that you could ever have imagined.

Looks like it is a dream to cut.

Be sure and post pictures of the done deal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/12 12:06 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/1/2012 11:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 8:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells
great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

That is nice looking stuff Mike, , , but how well so you expect
paint to stick to it? ;~)

That was beautiful.

(we want it to have a natural cherry finish... so we're painting it
maroon.)

One of my local suppliers in Houston has the same product samples, that
stuff is better looking that you could ever have imagined.

Looks like it is a dream to cut.

Be sure and post pictures of the done deal.

BTW, I'm looking for suggestions on a topcoat.
- protectant mostly, low to no gloss/sheen, satin at most
- would love if it darkened some, especially if it made the grain "pop"
- obviously ease of application (I don't have a good sprayer)

I honestly have gotten great results from Deft spray lacquer, but it
does nothing to highlight or darken. I haven't ruled out shellac as I've
been looking for an excuse to get into it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/12 12:58 PM, Richard wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

Whats the core?

It's all the same bamboo...
http://www.mikedrums.com/plyboo_edge_2.jpg

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2012 12:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 12:06 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/1/2012 11:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 8:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Well I would suggest Ol dMasters gel varnish on a scrap but first I
would contact the manufacturer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg

Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells
great.
Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.

Whats the core?

It's all the same bamboo...
http://www.mikedrums.com/plyboo_edge_2.jpg

Thank you.

Interesting looking panel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 6:25:47 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 7/1/2012 12:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 12:06 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/1/2012 11:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 8:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Do you mind if I ask who the local supplier in Houston is that carries it? I am doing a desk and looking for some.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/1/2012 12:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 12:06 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/1/2012 11:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/1/12 8:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Start here.
http://alternacorp.com

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

bamboo plywood Rick Woodworking 15 October 3rd 06 06:05 PM
Experiences building with bamboo plywood ? rob Woodworking 13 October 6th 05 08:54 PM
Source for Bamboo Plywood? Jerry Houlihan Woodworking 6 February 18th 05 06:16 AM
Can I affix 2mm bamboo herringbone 'plywood' directly to joists? Dolchas Home Repair 0 September 2nd 03 09:39 PM