DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   makeshift vice (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/341863-makeshift-vice.html)

sal[_2_] June 3rd 12 04:30 PM

makeshift vice

Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper work bench
, not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply on top of
each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4" x 3" oak slats from
outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them securely to be able to face
sand them with out vice jaws getting in the way.

Sal

Swingman June 3rd 12 04:44 PM

makeshift vice

On 6/3/2012 9:30 AM, sal wrote:
Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper work bench
, not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply on top of
each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4" x 3" oak slats from
outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them securely to be able to face
sand them with out vice jaws getting in the way.

Got some scrap plywood?

Take an hour and make some of these:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...18946109089298

The can be be clamped to just about any surface, and "stuff" can be
clamped to them ... innumerable uses such as this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...89742883295826

and this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...9262933 19650

Handy, up to the limits of your imagination, guaranteed.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Puckdropper[_2_] June 3rd 12 05:12 PM

makeshift vice

"sal" wrote in :

Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper work
bench , not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of 3/4"
ply on top of each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4" x 3"
oak slats from outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them securely
to be able to face sand them with out vice jaws getting in the way.

Sal

A vise might hold a 3/4" workpiece well enough with 1/8-1/4 sticking
proud of the jaws to sand it. It just depends on your vice and how
smooth the sides of the workpiece are. I'd probably clamp to a table or
bench.

When clamping to the bench, I often put a clamp at one end and somewhere
around halfway down. Then, I simply sand up to near the clamp and move
the clamp when the unclamped part is finished. If clamping position is
important, a third clamp can be employed so there's two clamps holding
the piece at any time.

If you've got small pieces, a commonly demoed trick is to trace around
the workpiece on a piece thinner than the workpiece and cut that out.
The workpiece is then placed in the frame and the frame is clamped.
Sometimes they use a piece of shelf liner to keep the piece from moving
around.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 3rd 12 07:29 PM

makeshift vice

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 09:44:47 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/3/2012 9:30 AM, sal wrote:
Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper work bench
, not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply on top of
each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4" x 3" oak slats from
outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them securely to be able to face
sand them with out vice jaws getting in the way.

Got some scrap plywood?

Take an hour and make some of these:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...18946109089298

The can be be clamped to just about any surface, and "stuff" can be
clamped to them ... innumerable uses

The more I see those, the more I know I need them. g Do you use
stability gussets on both flanges, or just the bottom?

Oh, I finally got a chance to try out my Makita plunge saw while
making barn doors last week. I absolutely love it! Now I see why you
and Leon gush over the Festool plunges.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

Swingman June 3rd 12 07:59 PM

makeshift vice

On 6/3/2012 12:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 09:44:47 -0500, wrote:

Got some scrap plywood?

Take an hour and make some of these:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...18946109089298

The more I see those, the more I know I need them.g Do you use
stability gussets on both flanges, or just the bottom?

I know I probably preach about them too much, but if there is another
"assist" in the shop that can be made from scraps at little or no cost,
and be so damn versatile in so many situations, I'd like to know about
it. Shirt pockets pale by comparison, once you get the idea. ;)

I generally put just one 45 degree brace on both the top and bottom,
small enough to do the job but not get in the way of clamping.

About the most important thing you can is to take the time to make sure
that they are the same height, whichever side is up. I generally make
them precisely 6" high in both directions by sizing the web, and the
dadoes in the flanges the web sits, in correctly .. the "flanges" are
simply cut to the precise dimension you want. If you use the same
reference edge when cutting the dadoes, it makes no difference is the
web is perfectly centered on the flanges.

Oh, I finally got a chance to try out my Makita plunge saw while
making barn doors last week. I absolutely love it! Now I see why you
and Leon gush over the Festool plunges.

I bought some 1/2 & 1/4 x 4 x 8 prefinished plywood for drawers this
past week, naturally on the only day it poured rain so I couldn't cut it
off the back of the truck as I usually do.

Instead of wrestling a 4x8 sheet into position to cut on the table saw
in the limited space, I used the "iBeams" above, set up on top of the
table saw and outfeed table, and the plunge saw to rough cut the plywood.

Fast Easy Safe ... :)

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Artemus[_4_] June 3rd 12 10:20 PM

makeshift vice

"sal" wrote in message ...
Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper work bench , not
enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply on top of each other
over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4" x 3" oak slats from outdoor benches to sand
. How do I hold them securely to be able to face sand them with out vice jaws
getting in the way.

Sal

I use this when sanding. Available in supermarkets, kmart, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Dra.../dp/B000KFSOFI
Just lay it on your work surface with the part to be sanded on top of it.
Art

Mike Marlow[_2_] June 3rd 12 11:34 PM

makeshift vice

Artemus wrote:
"sal" wrote in message
Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper
work bench , not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of
3/4" ply on top of each other over sawhorses. I have a number of
3/4" x 3" oak slats from outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold
them securely to be able to face sand them with out vice jaws
getting in the way. Sal

I use this when sanding. Available in supermarkets, kmart, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Dra.../dp/B000KFSOFI
Just lay it on your work surface with the part to be sanded on top of
it.

You might also want to try a piece of carpet pad under the workpiece. It
will hold pretty well on most surfaces, and not slip. Cheap enough - you
can probably get scraps free from a carpet supplier. Don't use the foam
junk. Use the stuff that is multi-colored (don't know what it is called).
Just lay it on your workbench, and lay your stock on it.

--

-Mike-

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 4th 12 02:36 AM

makeshift vice

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:59:11 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/3/2012 12:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 09:44:47 -0500, wrote:

Got some scrap plywood?

Take an hour and make some of these:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...18946109089298

The more I see those, the more I know I need them.g Do you use
stability gussets on both flanges, or just the bottom?

I know I probably preach about them too much, but if there is another
"assist" in the shop that can be made from scraps at little or no cost,
and be so damn versatile in so many situations, I'd like to know about
it. Shirt pockets pale by comparison, once you get the idea. ;)

I generally put just one 45 degree brace on both the top and bottom,
small enough to do the job but not get in the way of clamping.

OK. Cool.

About the most important thing you can is to take the time to make sure
that they are the same height, whichever side is up. I generally make
them precisely 6" high in both directions by sizing the web, and the
dadoes in the flanges the web sits, in correctly .. the "flanges" are
simply cut to the precise dimension you want. If you use the same
reference edge when cutting the dadoes, it makes no difference is the
web is perfectly centered on the flanges.

Time to try out my HF dado blade on the Ryobi...

Oh, I finally got a chance to try out my Makita plunge saw while
making barn doors last week. I absolutely love it! Now I see why you
and Leon gush over the Festool plunges.

I bought some 1/2 & 1/4 x 4 x 8 prefinished plywood for drawers this
past week, naturally on the only day it poured rain so I couldn't cut it
off the back of the truck as I usually do.

Prefinished ply?
http://www.boulterplywood.com/prefinished_plywood.htm Ouch! $129 for
3/4" red oak, and $149 for cherry? Huh, their drawer sides aren't too
bad, though.

Instead of wrestling a 4x8 sheet into position to cut on the table saw
in the limited space, I used the "iBeams" above, set up on top of the
table saw and outfeed table, and the plunge saw to rough cut the plywood.

Fast Easy Safe ... :)

Yeah, it's with panels that I'm going to find even more love of the
Makita plunge. I had one slip with mine the other day, about 3/16" on
a 4' crosscut on 3/8" CC ply. I guess I'll need to carefully brush
off the anti-slip pads before each use, not just tap and blow and
brush with my hand. Methinks I'll also need to get used to adjusting
the play between the saw frame and guide with a lighter touch.

dadiOH[_3_] June 4th 12 01:25 PM

makeshift vice

sal wrote:
Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper
work bench , not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of
3/4" ply on top of each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4"
x 3" oak slats from outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them
securely to be able to face sand them with out vice jaws getting in
the way.

I'd probably use my left hand. In 60+ years of chopping up wood I don't
ever recall the need to clamp something when I was sanding it unless I was
using a belt sander. Are you? If so, make a couple of plywood "L"s, clamp
the piece to be sanded between them, clamp the "L"s to table.

I do often sand on a piece of low loop carpet but the main reason is to
avoid dinging the side I am currently sanding.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

sal[_2_] June 4th 12 03:10 PM

makeshift vice

Thanks Guys some good idea's ,by the way I am using a belt sander so the
material has to be fairly secure. The benches are from an old historic
church 1850 that we still open during summer months to show case theater and
tourist viewing..

Sal

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 4th 12 04:47 PM

makeshift vice

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 07:25:17 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

sal wrote:
Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper
work bench , not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of
3/4" ply on top of each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4"
x 3" oak slats from outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them
securely to be able to face sand them with out vice jaws getting in
the way.

I'd probably use my left hand. In 60+ years of chopping up wood I don't
ever recall the need to clamp something when I was sanding it unless I was
using a belt sander. Are you? If so, make a couple of plywood "L"s, clamp
the piece to be sanded between them, clamp the "L"s to table.

I do often sand on a piece of low loop carpet but the main reason is to
avoid dinging the side I am currently sanding.

I use the sticky rubber anti-skid shelf/toolbox liner mat for that.
About a buck a yard at Wally.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-12-x-...Liner/16451274

Morgans[_2_] June 5th 12 07:40 AM

makeshift vice

"sal" wrote in message ...

Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper work bench
, not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply on top of
each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4" x 3" oak slats from
outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them securely to be able to face
sand them with out vice jaws getting in the way.

Sal

Old carpet padding, or other source of relatively thin foam rubber. It can
help to put a screw or nail or two into the ply (deep enough that the top of
them are below the surface you will be sanding) to take some of the direct
force.

-- Jim in NC