Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood model making

I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

A hobby/craft store should have lots of wood pieces for making all sorts of models for airplanes, toys, no telling what else. I haven't visited a craft store enough to know for sure, but surely they have a cache of wooden model supplies.... likely light weight balsa wood or similar.

Small model motors, if need be, and other hardware for models or miniatures..

Styrofoam, also, for a pre-mockup of some aspects?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2012 12:05 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Thanks

Steve

I don't know what they sell online, but the main Pearl Paint store in
NYC has what is essentially a lumberyard in miniature on their top
floor, with all manner of tiny-dimension wood and plastic.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message ...

I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Google will give you thousands of them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2012 12:05 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies?

Let me see if I understand this. You need to build a model of a device
you are inventing, but you're not sure how to answer this question?

Mike M.

I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:05:37 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a
nonfunctioning model, but something that has everything the real one
has, just not working, and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there
stores or sites that sell model builders supplies?

Try a model RR store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a
nonfunctioning model, but something that has everything the real one
has, just not working, and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there
stores or sites that sell model builders supplies? I imagine a lot
of this I can cut out of regular wood and dowels and plywood, etc,
but would like a few of the pieces to look realistic.

Thanks

Steve

Impossible to answer Steve. You don't give enough information about the
object you are looking to model, for anyone to respond. For example - I
could say... Sure, buy a bunch of 2x6's and nail them together to look like
your envisioned idea. But... your idea may require toothpick sized pieces.
Modeling - like woodworking, is quite project specific.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2012 11:05 AM, Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Thanks

Steve

I will assume your "decice" is relative small. If you have a CAD
drawing find some one with a 3D printer
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2012 11:56 AM, Bill wrote:
On 4/19/2012 12:05 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a
nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not
working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies?

Let me see if I understand this. You need to build a model of a device
you are inventing, but you're not sure how to answer this question?

LOL. Probably not a nuclear device, but ....

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2012 12:35 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/19/2012 11:05 AM, Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a
nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not
working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces
to look
realistic.

Thanks

Steve

I will assume your "decice" is relative small. If you have a CAD drawing
find some one with a 3D printer

Must be lunch time ... seems we're all here.

One inspection down today (plumbing final), one more to go today
(electrical final).

'Bout to put this puppy to bed. Damn I hate remodels!!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" writes:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Can you use a 3d printer?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Must be lunch time ... seems we're all here.

Not sure why, but this line reminded me of an incident, Are you where you are supposed to be?

Some Cajuns, in Ville Platte, were supposed to have gone hunting, but that's not where they went, no! Anyway, before going home, drunked-up and all, they had to come up with some game, to show the wives they had been hunting.. They stopped at the store and bought some kornish hens, lined them on the roadside and shot'em... threw them in the ice chest and delivered the cache to their wives.

Well, the wives decided to have a cooking, right then, and proceeded to fix up the birds, only to discover those innard packages were still packed inside the body cavities. Further inspection discovered the gun shot holes didn't have any evidence of bleeding.

The guys got caught and this was a conversation piece for some time, in the area.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/2012 1:53 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Steve writes:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Can you use a 3d printer?

Could you repeat that for me one more time? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:05:37 -0700, "Steve B"
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look

http://www.micromark.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/19/2012 11:05 AM, Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Thanks

Steve

I will assume your "decice" is relative small. If you have a CAD
drawing find some one with a 3D printer

Like me...

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In articleRMWdnaUOgLZ30Q3SnZ2dnUVZ5jidnZ2d@giganews. com, Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/19/2012 11:05 AM, Steve B wrote:
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look
realistic.

Thanks

Steve

I will assume your "decice" is relative small. If you have a CAD
drawing find some one with a 3D printer

Like me...

Hey Dave you got a 3D printer???? Need a new friend??? LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Hey Dave you got a 3D printer???? Need a new friend??? LOL

I have a Makerbot "Thing-O-Matic"... It's offline right now as I
upgrade the extruder to use 1.5mm monofilament instead of 3mm, but I
hope to get that done this weekend.

And new friends are always welcome... grin

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a
nonfunctioning model, but something that has everything the real one
has, just not working, and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there
stores or sites that sell model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of
this I can cut out of regular wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but
would like a few of the pieces to look realistic.

Thanks

Steve

Many "model-sized" power tools are more expensive and just as limiting as
the full sized tools. Model building is one place where you have to know
the limitations of your tools and not exceed them.

Before you make your model, you will need to buy a scale ruler for the
scale you intend to use. I'd suggest one for model railroading because
they're easily available, and if you build to one of those scales you can
buy accessories and parts if you desire. Sometimes having a scale person
can help you figure out how much space you actually have.

Time to visit a hobby shop. Even Hobby Lobby will have some useful
material.

I've no idea what you're building, but you may want to look into using
sheet styrene instead of wood. You don't have to worry about grain or
splits along it, and the material works pretty well with many standard
woodworking hand tools.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Makerbot "Thing-O-Matic"

Wow cool tool Dave. Neat web site.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Makerbot "Thing-O-Matic"

Wow cool tool Dave. Neat web site.

It was much neater before my web host had a server meltdown and I lost
my SQL database. On top of everything else I'm trying to rebuild the
place to some semblance of what it was before.

But yeah, the T-O-M is a lot of fun. I bought the "Frostruder"
attachment for it, which should allow me to make edible models... Need
to find time to hook that puppy up.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/20/2012 8:50 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article4ZSdnS6cZqvB1wzSnZ2dnUVZ5tednZ2d@giganews. com, Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Makerbot "Thing-O-Matic"

Wow cool tool Dave. Neat web site.

It was much neater before my web host had a server meltdown and I lost
my SQL database. On top of everything else I'm trying to rebuild the
place to some semblance of what it was before.

But yeah, the T-O-M is a lot of fun. I bought the "Frostruder"
attachment for it, which should allow me to make edible models... Need
to find time to hook that puppy up.

So you could make a cake and eat it too. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/20/2012 8:50 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article4ZSdnS6cZqvB1wzSnZ2dnUVZ5tednZ2d@giganews. com, Leon
lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Makerbot "Thing-O-Matic"

Wow cool tool Dave. Neat web site.

It was much neater before my web host had a server meltdown and I lost
my SQL database. On top of everything else I'm trying to rebuild the
place to some semblance of what it was before.

But yeah, the T-O-M is a lot of fun. I bought the "Frostruder"
attachment for it, which should allow me to make edible models... Need
to find time to hook that puppy up.

So you could make a cake and eat it too. ;~)

Repeatedly!

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:05:37 -0700, "Steve
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a
nonfunctioning
model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not
working,
and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell
model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular
wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to
look

http://www.micromark.com/

Thank you. Someone who offered help.

Steve

Like Mike M. suggested, it's difficult for the quality of the responses
to be better than that of the questions. And you don't want volunteers
to have to struggle to understand your question, do you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Let me see if I understand this. You need to build a model of a device
you are inventing, but you're not sure how to answer this question?

Is it tough being a genius?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not sure why, but this line reminded me of an incident, Are you where
you are supposed to be?

Some Cajuns, in Ville Platte, were supposed to have gone hunting, but that's
not where they went, no!

Loved to go fishing in Chicot! Good bass and some big crappie.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Loved to go fishing in Chicot! Good bass and some big crappie.

Steve

Are you nearby?

I grew up on the "banks of the lake", though I'm now in Lafayette. The park was created, in 1937, by the state expropriating property from the area landowners, my grandfather being one of many. The family still owns the old homestead and acreage, adjacent to the park, and I go out there fairly often. My grandfather had a sawmill just downstream of the now spillway, remnants of it are still there.

About 30-35 yrs ago, there was a large flood, with 4'-5' of water flowing over the spillway... washing lots of sinker logs over the spillway and onto the nearby roadway. I asked park officials if I could collect the logs and they agreed, but I wasn't allowed to bring in large equipment to collect them. I used my truck and tractor to pull/drag the logs to the homestead property, just 1-1/2 miles up the road, until I could deal with them better. I used much of that subsequent lumber to remodel my present home. I think I may still have some of that lumber hanging around.

There's an old log, in the lake near the north boat dock, with lots of large woodpecker holes in it. I'd like to think those holes were made by an Ivory billed woodpecker. I've always wanted to go collect that log, about 10"-15" diameter and 20' long. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/21/2012 10:54 PM, Steve B wrote:

Loved to go fishing in Chicot! Good bass and some big crappie.

"Sac au lait", Cher!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Does it have to be made of wood? Why?
The more time you spend on a non working model, the less time you have to
spend on the actual development.
Is a non working model really that important?
Is there already something out there that is close in shape of concept
that could substitute for this model, or could an existing shape be easily
modified?
----

It would help if you could say what the reason is for needing this model.
It could be fashioned in minutes from molding clay, or even PlayDoh, for
instance. That way, it could be adjusted without any tools.
It could be made from cardboard- corrugated board or theme pad backboard
and held together with tape.

Architects using poster board and hot glue make some pretty detailed models.

Any of the above could be used if you need some visual way to see what it
should look like, or the range for some of the critical dimensions.

If you haven't already done it. draw it up from several views. This process
alone may help to suggest the type of materials to use.

Also depends upon the tools/kind of shop you have.

Personally, I hate to put too much time into a nonworking model because I
can spend too much time tuning it up instead of working a working
prototype.

If your goal is to have a model to show and you don't do CAD, even a few
components of the first prototype can be useful to interested
parties/potential investors.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Loved to go fishing in Chicot! Good bass and some big crappie.

Steve

Are you nearby?

I grew up on the "banks of the lake", though I'm now in Lafayette.

* * *

I lived in Lafayette for six years, off Maryview Farm road at the tracks.
Rented a country home from Dr. Martin, a veterinarian. It was actually half
way between Lafayette, and Carencro.

I loved the swamps, and was all over the place, and knew it much better than
many of the local Cajuns I talked to. Actually, a lot of them didn't even
venture out into "da wooooods" as they called them.

On the program Swamp People, I have been to EVERY spot where they have
filmed so far. The Atchafalaya is immense, and beautiful. Chicot is
quaint, and getting back up into those sloughs in a pirogue is about as fun
as it gets when you hook a bass that's pulling you around.

I miss the food, the fishing, the culture, a lot. I miss being able to stop
by most any Mom and Pop store for some fresh boudin, gratons, or just a $5
all you can eat plate lunch, special du jour. Fresh oysters were a dime
apiece in Abbeyville, or Breaux Bridge during the season. We'd eat a sack a
day at work out in the shop. $6 a sack, IIRC. Coming home from offshore,
shrimp were $1 a pound for nice ones, and $1 a dozen for huge clean blue
crabs. They gave away flounder if you spent more than $20. Shrimp stuffed
flounder ............ mmm, mmm, mmm .........

Many a fond memory of frogging down around Meaux, fishing around Pierre
Parte (Troy Landry's home on Swamp People) Lake Henderson, hunting in the
marshes (sometimes the mosquitos were bigger than the ducks), just a really
cool place to live. I'd like to go back there for a good six month stint
from the start of spring to the end of fall. Do nothing but fish, and eat
and drink those little Miller bottles of beer.

The commercial diving offshore was one of my fondest lifetime adventures,
too.

AAAAYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pete S" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You are right. But, I've seen architects models of projects with those
little trees and cars and lawn furniture and the 300# guy walking the Yorkie
that's taking a dump. I always wondered where the supermarket for those
things were.

Hence, the question.

I guess it was just past some people's capabilities.

I have decided to make a model purely out of wood, having snagged a nice new
sander at a yard sale for $25. It only has to be close for demonstration
purposes.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

You are right. But, I've seen architects models of projects with
those little trees and cars and lawn furniture and the 300# guy
walking the Yorkie that's taking a dump. I always wondered where the
supermarket for those things were.

Hence, the question.

I guess it was just past some people's capabilities.

I have decided to make a model purely out of wood, having snagged a
nice new sander at a yard sale for $25. It only has to be close for
demonstration purposes.

Steve

Would you like a refund?

There's some good advice in this thread and some bad advice. There's
some stuff that looks useless now but may be useful later and there's
some stuff that's always going to be useless. Welcome to Usenet.

For detail parts (trees, cars, etc), visit your local hobby shop. They
might have it in stock, but chances are they'll have to order it from
Walthers. (You can order it directly from Walthers yourself, but if the
LHS orders it you often don't have to pay shipping.) Hobby Shops are a
local niche business and there's very few big ones. Check the yellow
pages and Walthers Dealer Locator.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote

There's some good advice in this thread and some bad advice. There's
some stuff that looks useless now but may be useful later and there's
some stuff that's always going to be useless. Welcome to Usenet.

Ya gotta love usenet.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Come on!!!

He wants a thing-a-ma-jig for his what-cha-ma-call-it with a who-dickey
mounted beside the gizmo! Anybody with half a brain would know
thing-a-ma-bobs are always supplied with nubs, what-nots and who-blees.
Whats-his-face should already know this, also.

--------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Impossible to answer Steve. You don't give enough information about
the
object you are looking to model, for anyone to respond. For example -
could say... Sure, buy a bunch of 2x6's and nail them together to look
like
your envisioned idea. But... your idea may require toothpick sized
pieces.
Modeling - like woodworking, is quite project specific.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
"m II" wrote in message
Come on!!!

He wants a thing-a-ma-jig for his what-cha-ma-call-it with a
who-dickey mounted beside the gizmo! Anybody with half a brain would
know thing-a-ma-bobs are always supplied with nubs, what-nots and
who-blees. Whats-his-face should already know this, also.

--------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Impossible to answer Steve. You don't give enough information about
the object you are looking to model, for anyone to respond. For
example - I could say... Sure, buy a bunch of 2x6's and nail them
together to look like
your envisioned idea. But... your idea may require toothpick sized
pieces.
Modeling - like woodworking, is quite project specific.

I DO apologize to anyone who does not have the ability to read what is
written, and answer from their own experience. To those who need to
be so specific that if must be quoted chapter and verse, and
grammatically, and in syntax, I just say to continue on with your
live, whatever it is.

Well hell - what did I miss Steve?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
"m wrote in message
[...]

1. No need to write I DO apologize, just apologize if that's what you
want to do. Honestly, your comments seem to fall short of an apology.
2. if need not be quoted
3. do you mean in "appropriate" syntax? Do you mean punctutation?
4. why just say it, when you could say it?
5. the word you mean is "life", not live, I think. Wait, maybe that
should be plural "lives", followed by whatever... "To those" sounds
a bit grandeose to moi Wreck'ed eyes. Keep your audience in mind.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

I DO apologize to anyone who does not have the ability to read what is
written, and answer from their own experience.

While we're doing this,
you mean "his or her" own experience,
or you'll create a conflict with the plurality of "anyone". Or replace
anyone by everyone. I think either way would be acceptable.

To those who need to be so
specific that if must be quoted chapter and verse, and grammatically, and in
syntax, I just say to continue on with your live, whatever it is.

You certainly wax poetic!

Steve

OT Making a model ship with a 5 year old Ignoramus8098 Woodworking 54 February 14th 07 01:45 AM
OT. Model making handy-andy UK diy 11 December 14th 06 10:24 PM
Wood model making - Basic questions Riz Woodworking 15 August 31st 05 07:00 PM
Making model engine radiator Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 3 January 15th 05 02:47 AM
model boat making plans/book for 11 year old John Stumbles UK diy 23 November 7th 04 12:27 AM