DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Off Topic: Compressors and Computers (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/338245-off-topic-compressors-computers.html)

EXT April 3rd 12 08:17 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
b.com...
I had a computer go down last week. Turns out that the power supply was
clogged with dust and needed to be replaced. It was probably under
powered too, which added to its demise. Talking to some friends, this has
happened to two more people in the last 3 months. All of them multi
monitor machines running some big apps. Regular computers did not seem to
suffer from the same type of problem.

The tech suggested regular cleaning of the interior of the case every two
months. Again, this is probably overkill for most machines, but we have
three examples here of where we probably could have prevented the problems
we had. He suggested a small compressor for this purpose. He had one in
his shop. I have no problem with getting a small compressor to make my
computers happy. It is just that my beloved and other folks working in
the offices would have extreme objections to a noisy, pancake compressor
starting up.

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air. I have a small
vacuum cleaner which will do an OK job cleaning. But I need some
compressed air to get everything really clean. I need something small,
quiet and not scary to tool phobic office workers (or wives). Any
suggestions?

I was thinking of the baby compressors that run artist's air brushes. But
did not think they were powerful enough. Maybe even a fireplace bellows
may work. I looked at a small compressor from Harbor Freight and was
assured that it was very noisy. So that won't work. Maybe I am asking
too much, inexpensive, quiet and effective. Any input from you guys would
be appreciated.

You cannot get away from the noise of most any kind of compressor. We run an
internet business with many computers, I also have a wood shop with a
compressor. To blow out a computer, we either carry it into the workshop and
use the compressor there, it also allows the dirt, fluff and whatever that
blows out to land in the sawdust. To work on a computer in the office, I
connect a couple of 50 foot hoses to the compressor to clear out the
computer. The noise stays in the workshop. You will have to vacuum up all
the crud that blows out so that it doesn't just get sucked back into the
computer.

Arthur Shapiro April 3rd 12 08:42 PM

In article m, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:
I had a computer go down last week. Turns out that the power supply was
clogged with dust and needed to be replaced.

Do you own a leafblower? It works very well on badly-encrusted computers.
Normally its easier than using an air compressor, as there's no waiting time
for the tank to fill.

Art

Nick April 3rd 12 09:05 PM

[...]

Could you not use a small, noisy compressor after folks have departed for
the day? Or give them a few quid to enjoy an extended lunch on a sunny
afternoon and then do the job whilst they are not present? Hey, take your
time guys. It's a beautiful day, go and enjoy yourselves, I'll look after
the shop whilst your gone. Bit of kudos for you to boot.

When using compressed air it is worth jamming all fans (PSU/CPU/Case etc) as
the high rotational speeds can knacker (sorry, an olde English term) these
fans. I know this to my cost.

HTH

Nick.
England.

WW[_2_] April 3rd 12 09:17 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
b.com...
I had a computer go down last week. Turns out that the power supply was
clogged with dust and needed to be replaced. It was probably under powered
too, which added to its demise. Talking to some friends, this has happened
to two more people in the last 3 months. All of them multi monitor
machines running some big apps. Regular computers did not seem to suffer
from the same type of problem.

Snip

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of the baby compressors that run artist's air brushes. But
did not think they were powerful enough. Maybe even a fireplace bellows
may work. I looked at a small compressor from Harbor Freight and was
assured that it was very noisy. So that won't work. Maybe I am asking
too much, inexpensive, quiet and effective. Any input from you guys would
be appreciated.

I hope you take the computer out side to do this, not in the office blowing
all the stuff in the air to be drawn back into other computers. A tank
vacuum works. Put hose on output of tank. Large volume of air but low enough
pressure so as not to cause damage. WW

Puckdropper[_2_] April 3rd 12 09:24 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
b.com:

*snip*

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air. I have a small
vacuum cleaner which will do an OK job cleaning. But I need some
compressed air to get everything really clean. I need something
small, quiet and not scary to tool phobic office workers (or wives).
Any suggestions?

I was thinking of the baby compressors that run artist's air brushes.
But did not think they were powerful enough. Maybe even a fireplace
bellows may work. I looked at a small compressor from Harbor Freight
and was assured that it was very noisy. So that won't work. Maybe I
am asking too much, inexpensive, quiet and effective. Any input from
you guys would be appreciated.

I have an air brush compressor, and while it doesn't put out much air it
is quiet and would probably keep the computers clean enough if used on a
regular basis.

If the systems collect that much dust, though, would some sort of filter
be worthwhile? You'd probably have to add another fan or two, but
changing the filter on a regular basis might be easier than lugging a
compressor around.

One more idea... Put a regulator on a compressed air tank. Set it for
something reasonable (20-30 psi?) and pressurize the tank to 90-100 psi.
You can fill the tank in the shop and take it where needed.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Scott Lurndal April 3rd 12 09:36 PM

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

A computer vacuum is nice, particularly for the keyboard.

scott

Steve Turner[_3_] April 3rd 12 09:54 PM

On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with marginal
results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to the very same
computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that the canned air couldn't
touch.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Bill[_37_] April 3rd 12 10:09 PM

Lee Michaels wrote:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air. I have a small
vacuum cleaner which will do an OK job cleaning. But I need some
compressed air to get everything really clean. I need something small,
quiet and not scary to tool phobic office workers (or wives). Any
suggestions?

I think the can of compressed air is the standard solution, but I'm
allergic to it. I paid about $43 for a hand held 110v substitute which
works very well, but it louder than a hair dryer. I'm quite delighted
with the electric solution. I will find a link if anyone is interested
in the product.

Bill

Bill[_37_] April 3rd 12 10:12 PM

Steve Turner wrote:
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with marginal
results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to the very same
computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that the canned air
couldn't touch.

There's a point at which you'll start blowing components off the boards.
I'm not sure where that point is and am not sure I'd want to find out
the hard way.

Swingman April 3rd 12 10:24 PM

On 4/3/2012 3:12 PM, Bill wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with marginal
results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to the very same
computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that the canned air
couldn't touch.

There's a point at which you'll start blowing components off the boards.
I'm not sure where that point is and am not sure I'd want to find out
the hard way.

There's always a first time for everything, but like Steve, I've been
using air from the shop air compressor to blow out computers since the
late eighties with not one problem ... only I used a spare tank that
held 120 psi to start with. ;)

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

tiredofspam April 3rd 12 10:26 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

I use my compressor all the time. I clean my computers about every 6 mos.

BTW that has not prolonged my power supplies. They still go. Yours may
well have been from heat and dust, but they tend to fail regularly.

My laptop gets cleaned too. I take the rear cover off and blow it out.

Leon[_7_] April 3rd 12 10:28 PM

On 4/3/2012 1:19 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Take the computer to the compressor.

Bill[_37_] April 3rd 12 10:45 PM

Bill wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air. I have a small
vacuum cleaner which will do an OK job cleaning. But I need some
compressed air to get everything really clean. I need something small,
quiet and not scary to tool phobic office workers (or wives). Any
suggestions?

I think the can of compressed air is the standard solution, but I'm
allergic to it. I paid about $43 for a hand held 110v substitute which
works very well, but it louder than a hair dryer. I'm quite delighted
with the electric solution. I will find a link if anyone is interested
in the product.

Bill

Here's the item. It seems to have a lot of satisfied customers:

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-E...3485722&sr=8-4

It comes with the attachment set, so don't order it separately. It
doesn't seem like office workers could complain too much about something
so non-obtrusive looking that only took 30 seconds.

[email protected] April 3rd 12 10:52 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:17:38 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

[...]

Use an "air pig" or a bottle of nitrogen from your local liquid
air/welding supply

[email protected] April 3rd 12 10:56 PM

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:12:50 -0400, Bill wrote:

Steve Turner wrote:
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with marginal
results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to the very same
computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that the canned air
couldn't touch.

There's a point at which you'll start blowing components off the boards.
I'm not sure where that point is and am not sure I'd want to find out
the hard way.

40 PSI isn't anywhere close.
I like an "excellerator" blow gun - it has a venturi and a small
amount of high velocity air moves a WHOLE LOT of not quite so high
velocity air - doing an excellent job.

-MIKE- April 3rd 12 11:15 PM

On 4/3/12 2:54 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with marginal
results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to the very same
computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that the canned air
couldn't touch.

That's how I found my keys. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Swingman April 3rd 12 11:17 PM

On 4/3/2012 4:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/3/12 2:54 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with marginal
results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to the very same
computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that the canned air
couldn't touch.

That's how I found my keys. :-)

+1

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Max[_5_] April 3rd 12 11:24 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

"Lee Michaels" wrote
I had a computer go down last week.
The tech suggested regular cleaning of the interior of the case every two
months.
I need something small, quiet and not scary to
tool phobic office workers (or wives). Any suggestions?

I have one of these for use in the shop.
http://www.senco.com/CompressorDetails.aspx?k=PC1010

I find it handy to use for several blow...............uh.........purposes.
For use on a computer I set the regulator at 35-40 PSI.
And I use this blow gun:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H8229/images/

Max

Scott Lurndal April 3rd 12 11:32 PM

Steve Turner writes:
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree.

I've worked in the industry for 30 years, building everything from mainframes
to supercomputers. The only time we ever used an air compressor was to power
the loadable heads on a Burroughs 5N head-per-track disk drive built in the
1970's (and of course on the manufacturing floor to power various tools,
such as torque wrenches, drills and various place-and-route machines in
the wire-wrap era).

My last company had over 400 dual-socket 1U/2U servers, and about 100 workstation
systems (high-end, dual-head) - canned compressed air was sufficient for those as well,
albeit only required once every couple of years.

scott

Dave[_52_] April 4th 12 12:54 AM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:19:28 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
I was thinking of the baby compressors that run artist's air brushes. But
did not think they were powerful enough. Maybe even a fireplace bellows may
work. I looked at a small compressor from Harbor Freight and was assured
that it was very noisy. So that won't work. Maybe I am asking too much,
inexpensive, quiet and effective. Any input from you guys would be
appreciated.

Since I live in an apartment, quietness was my top priority. Not
wanting to spend an exorbitant amount of money on something exotic
like a compressor that might be used by a dentist, I had a look at a
Samona (Rok) 10925, a Rolair JC10, a Senco PC1010. I also looked at a
Bostitch CAP1512 on a friend's recommendation, but it was too loud for
my tastes.

They are all fairly quiet compressors in the order presented. I
finally settled on the Senco PC1010 because it was the smallest and
the lightest (20 lbs.) The rest were at least twice that weight. I
wanted/needed a compressor for filling tires and for two nail guns
that I have. The heaviest nail gun is a Porter Cable 15g gun. You
would NOT use this compressor for a framing gun.

For your purposes, I'm guessing the Senco would work, but if I were
you, I'd just use a can of compressed air. If you think that you'd be
using too many cans of compressed air and it would be too costly, then
you might consider buying one of the refillable tanks of compressed
air such as the one in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Energy-Co.../dp/B0008G2W8O

Tanks like these can also be found at Paintball stores.

Steve Turner[_3_] April 4th 12 01:00 AM

On 4/3/2012 4:32 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Steve writes:
[...]

That's nice. It doesn't change what I said (which you snipped) about having
attempted (on many occasions) to fully clean out a computer with canned air,
having it do an incomplete job, then getting just as much or more dust out of
the system with an air compressor blow gun.

Incidentally, I've been in the industry almost as long as you have, five years
of which were spent as an IBM CE where the only tools we had in the field to
clean out a machine were canned air and a vacuum cleaner. We could *always* do
a better job of cleaning out the machines if we were able to take them from the
customer's site back to the office where we had an air compressor.

Michael Joel[_2_] April 4th 12 01:37 AM

Lee Michaels wrote:
I had a computer go down last week. Turns out that the power supply was
clogged with dust and needed to be replaced. It was probably under
powered too, which added to its demise. Talking to some friends, this
has happened to two more people in the last 3 months. All of them multi
monitor machines running some big apps. Regular computers did not seem
to suffer from the same type of problem.

Just my suggestions - been a while since I worked on systems but....

Multiple monitors and heavy apps shouldn't effect the power supply to
much since it will still only draw what it is built to draw. Being
underpowered (as I recall ) will not damage the system but will cause
malfunctioning from components not getting enough power.

I think the key here is the clogged power supply. If it can't cool
itself then it will be toast pretty fast. Just the same with all other
components - the heat is going to be the biggest problem. All the
components produce heat a layer of dust is like a blanket to help hold
it in.

I think cleaning every 6 to 12 months should be fine. Hard apps and more
monitors do not mean more dust sucking up into the computer. I don't
know how your computers are placed but on the floor are a bad idea they
will collect dust much faster. Better to have them in a cabinet.

Are the office staff normally allowed to open the computers up?

--

Michael Joel

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,
His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen,
being understood through what has been made,
so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God,
they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became
futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
- Romans 1:20-21 (NASB)

parksfamily2 ------ ---- --- gmail ----- ----- com
replace dashes with correct symbols

Scott Lurndal April 4th 12 02:26 AM

Steve Turner writes:
On 4/3/2012 4:32 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

My last company had over 400 dual-socket 1U/2U servers, and about 100 workstation
systems (high-end, dual-head) - canned compressed air was sufficient for those as well,
albeit only required once every couple of years.

scott

That's nice. It doesn't change what I said (which you snipped) about having
attempted (on many occasions) to fully clean out a computer with canned air,
having it do an incomplete job, then getting just as much or more dust out of
the system with an air compressor blow gun.

Sorry I snipped it; a small amount of residual dust is harmless. The only
place you want to make sure you have no thick dustbunnies is on the power
supply heat-sinks, the processor heatsink, fan blades and any ventilation openings.

The rest of the system operates at
temperatures that aren't affected by a small amount of dust. It doesn't need
to be operating room clean. Rephrase, the lack of operating room cleanliness
doesn't have an effect on MTBF.

Incidentally, I've been in the industry almost as long as you have, five years
of which were spent as an IBM CE where the only tools we had in the field to
clean out a machine were canned air and a vacuum cleaner. We could *always* do
a better job of cleaning out the machines if we were able to take them from the
customer's site back to the office where we had an air compressor.

The IBM big-iron (S/360, S/370, 3080, through Z-series) have filters that
prevent dust migration into the system in the first place. As did the
Burroughs systems.

Using a computer vacuum is better anyway, as compressed air by itself
just returns the dust to the evironment, from whence it will reestablish
itself in the computer.

scott

Doug Winterburn April 4th 12 02:32 AM

On 04/03/2012 05:26 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Steve writes:
[...]

It's a good thing my pea seas are not mainframes! It's out to the shop,
blow the fur balls out with the compressor and than back to the computer
room. No residual dust in the house.

I've had more electronics failures from bulging/leaking electrolytic
caps anyway.

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"

CW[_8_] April 4th 12 04:03 AM

Steve writes:
[...]

================================================== ===========================
Of course you could. Those little cans of air are very little better than
nothing. At work, we would take them out into the shop (machine shop) and
use the shop air supply to blow them out. Shop air was at 120 psi so you
didn't get any closer than about three feet. I do the same at home (90 psi).
I was over to someone's house a while back working on their machine. It
needed cleaning out. He handed me a can of air. I tried that and then told
him that was little better than nothing. He had a leaf blower though so we
did get it clean.

Steve B[_13_] April 4th 12 06:51 AM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with marginal
results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to the very same
computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that the canned air
couldn't touch.

I use a blowgun on my compressor, too. I have a little pancake that I use
for small house projects with the nailguns, etc. 30 psi is good. Canned
air freezes things sometimes, and I'm not sure that's good.

Steve

J. Clarke[_2_] April 4th 12 07:54 AM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

In article ,
says...

Steve writes:
[...]

FWIW, don't waste your money on canned air. One of these things does as
good a job
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-
Large/dp/B00017LSPI and never gets empty. I got it to blow the dust
off the sensor in my camera but it works fine on computers too.

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 4th 12 12:48 PM

Bill wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
On 4/3/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Lee Michaels"leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net writes:

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air.

Indeed. If your computer is in an environment where blowing it out
more than every 6 months is necessary, move the computer or clean up
the environment.

Compressor is way overkill.

Disagree. I've used canned air several times on computers with
marginal results, then took a 40 PSI blow gun from a compressor to
the very same computer and blew out all kinds of residual crap that
the canned air couldn't touch.

There's a point at which you'll start blowing components off the
boards. I'm not sure where that point is and am not sure I'd want to
find out the hard way.

I have no idea what that point would be, but I have shot 125+ pounds of air
at all of my computers for years with not a single problem. If blowing
components off is a possibility then you've got bigger problems with the
computer you bought than the act of using compressed air to clean it.

--

-Mike-

Puckdropper[_2_] April 4th 12 03:35 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

I have no idea what that point would be, but I have shot 125+ pounds
of air at all of my computers for years with not a single problem. If
blowing components off is a possibility then you've got bigger
problems with the computer you bought than the act of using compressed
air to clean it.

I've got some old circuit boards with surface mount components... maybe
it's time for an experiment.

Hm... a little googling found a mini-heated torch. It uses compressed air
and heat to melt the solder on SMD components (and blow it away) so the
parts can be salvaged. (or maybe the board.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper[_2_] April 4th 12 04:17 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
.com:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

I have no idea what that point would be, but I have shot 125+ pounds
of air at all of my computers for years with not a single problem.
If blowing components off is a possibility then you've got bigger
problems with the computer you bought than the act of using
compressed air to clean it.

I've got some old circuit boards with surface mount components...
maybe it's time for an experiment.

Hm... a little googling found a mini-heated torch. It uses compressed
air and heat to melt the solder on SMD components (and blow it away)
so the parts can be salvaged. (or maybe the board.)

Puckdropper

A quick experiment showed no movement at all with the SMD components.
Compressor was set to 90 PSI (I forgot the 125 psi part) and I had a blow
gun with "pool floatie" nozzle on the end. Air was applied to the side
and front of the component, and nothing blew off or even looked like it
was moving.

However, application of heat with a heat gun set to high (which will melt
solder and remove components itself) and the compressor set to about 20
psi had excellent results removing components from the circuit board. A
bunch of LEDs came off in less than a minute (through-hole) and the smd
components came off even easier. Trouble was they'd blow away with the
force of the compressor.

In my opinion, an air compressor is not going to be sufficient to blow
chips off a cold circuit board. However, socketed ICs, pin and header
connections, shorting jumpers, and maybe even some switches may be
negatively affected by the compressed air. If sufficiently high heat
enters the equation, however, the force of the compressed air can easily
blow the solder away from the component and cause it to fly off.

You guys may have inadvertently sold me on another tool... I gotta see
how much those hot air soldering pencils cost.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Rod & BJ Jacobson April 4th 12 05:44 PM

[...]

Taking the PC box to a compressor takes care of the noise /dust in a office
issue.

A portable air storage tank($20) takes care of the noise in a office issue
and avoids needing extra lengths of hose when used around the house.....if
you don't have a compressor to fill it, borrow some air from a friend who
does. For little jobs it is also easier to carry around than even most small
compressors

When using a compressor or tank to clean your PC make sure you hold the fan
blades still so you don't spin out the bearings....usually a screw driver
works fine.

Rod

RonB[_2_] April 4th 12 06:48 PM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

On Apr 3, 1:19*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
[...]

Our quad core machine runs rather warm especially with its upgraded
graphics card. I use canned air for the close in stuff and our house
vacuum, with the long nozzle, for general cleaning. With heat sinks
and internal perforated mounts (disk drive, etc) it pulls air from the
back of objects instead of pushing dust in deeper. Just be careful
and don't bump into board components.

We don't do it quite as often as he recommended but I probably clean
it out 3-4 times a year. The main machine, mentioned above, actually
starts sounding a little different when it wants to be cleaned - a
mild buzz when working harder with big graphics of video.

RonB

Bill[_37_] April 4th 12 06:54 PM

Rod & BJ Jacobson wrote:
[...]

To each his own, but that sound like a strangle place to put a
screwdriver. How about just holding them with your finger (s)?

Rod

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 4th 12 08:22 PM

Puckdropper wrote:

In my opinion, an air compressor is not going to be sufficient to blow
chips off a cold circuit board.

Yup - and that was the whole point in my reply to Bill's post. Not even a
chance of that happening. Nothing to worry about.

However, socketed ICs, pin and header
connections, shorting jumpers, and maybe even some switches may be
negatively affected by the compressed air.

Not unless you intentionally try to direct the air stream in such a manner
as to try to lift them, and even then - not likely. Socketed IC's are not
likely to unseat with that air pressure, shorting jumpers - maybe since they
can be weak connections. But - you simply don't blow under them to lift
them. Not a complex solution. Switches - not too likely at all. Again -
it all comes down to how you apply the air.

If sufficiently high heat
enters the equation, however, the force of the compressed air can
easily blow the solder away from the component and cause it to fly
off.

Sufficiently high heat is the key. Solder requires a nominal 450 degree
heat to melt. Not likely you're going to get that from any gun in
combination with a blow gun. Think about it - you can cause enough heat
disipation just by breathing on a soldering iron to prevent it from melting
a solder joint. And now you're talking about mixing 80-120psi of air in
with a marginal heat source? Not much chance of lifting any joints.

You guys may have inadvertently sold me on another tool... I gotta see
how much those hot air soldering pencils cost.

Dude - remember what PT Barnum said...

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 4th 12 08:24 PM

Bill wrote:

To each his own, but that sound like a strangle place to put a
screwdriver. How about just holding them with your finger (s)?

Why Bill? He's just trying to keep the blades from turning. You are
right - a finger could easily do it, but there is nothing wrong with using a
screw driver either. Methinks he wants to keep his fingers from getting
dirty...

--

-Mike-

Larry Jaques[_4_] April 5th 12 01:05 AM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:24:41 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Bill wrote:

To each his own, but that sound like a strangle place to put a
screwdriver. How about just holding them with your finger (s)?

Why Bill? He's just trying to keep the blades from turning. You are
right - a finger could easily do it, but there is nothing wrong with using a
screw driver either. Methinks he wants to keep his fingers from getting
dirty...

A soft plastic wand (for the princesses) or wooden popsicle stick
would be a lot safer around electronics, boys and girls.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 5th 12 02:18 AM

wrote:

Bill wrote:

To each his own, but that sound like a strangle place to put a
screwdriver. How about just holding them with your finger (s)?

Why Bill? He's just trying to keep the blades from turning. You are
right - a finger could easily do it, but there is nothing wrong with
using a screw driver either. Methinks he wants to keep his fingers
from getting dirty...

A soft plastic wand (for the princesses) or wooden popsicle stick
would be a lot safer around electronics, boys and girls.

Well - hopefully it's powered off while cleaning it.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] April 5th 12 03:13 AM

Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

wrote:

Bill wrote:

To each his own, but that sound like a strangle place to put a
screwdriver. How about just holding them with your finger (s)?

Why Bill? He's just trying to keep the blades from turning. You are
right - a finger could easily do it, but there is nothing wrong with using a
screw driver either. Methinks he wants to keep his fingers from getting
dirty...

A soft plastic wand (for the princesses) or wooden popsicle stick
would be a lot safer around electronics, boys and girls.

Except you are doing this with the power DISCONNECTED. And HOPEFULLY
before strting to blow the air. Sticking a screwdriver into a rapidly
spinning PC fan WILL remove blades.

[email protected] April 5th 12 03:15 AM

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:54:35 -0400, Bill wrote:

Rod & BJ Jacobson wrote:
[...]

You are going to get your finger into the powersupply enough to stop
the fan? You must have pretty skinny fingers, or extremely long nails.