Richard Clements

Default Hand plane size difference

Paul O. wrote:

What is the difference in say, a #5 plane and a #5 1/2 plane. Length,
width? Thanks, just wondering.

length I think, a #4 Stanly is a little bigger than a number #3 Stanly
Paul O.

--
Paul O.

John Thomas

"Paul O." wrote in
:

What is the difference in say, a #5 plane and a #5 1/2 plane. Length,
width? Thanks, just wondering.

www.supertool.com is your friend; follow the link to the Blood&Gore
section.

Regards,
JT
Nova

"Paul O." wrote:

What is the difference in say, a #5 plane and a #5 1/2 plane. Length, width?
Thanks, just wondering.

--
Paul O.

Try Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore" web site for information on hand planes.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Tom

Try Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore" web site for information on hand planes.

Does anyone know of a similar site relating to Craftsman hand planes? Tom
Work at your leisure!

dave in fairfax

Tom wrote:
Does anyone know of a similar site relating to Craftsman hand planes?

Craftsman planes were made by other companies. Not their best
effots either, unfortunately. Anything in particular that you
were thinking of?
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Paul O.

Thanks for the link folks. It's now in my favorites.

--
Paul O.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Paul O. wrote:
What is the difference in say, a #5 plane and a #5 1/2 plane. Length, width?
Thanks, just wondering.

--
Paul O.

In the example you mention, the 5 1/2 uses a wider blade than the 5.
But, in general, you can't generalize when it comes to Stanley's
numbering system. Check out www.supertool.com, the "blood & gore"
pages for more than you prably want to know.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Tom Dooley

"www.supertool.com is your friend; follow the link to the Blood&Gore
section. "

That's a great link.
Thanks, John!
Tom

Tom

Dave in Fairfax wrote:--
Craftsman planes were made by other companies. Not their best
effots either, unfortunately. Anything in particular that you
were thinking of?

I've got a small low-angle plane with an adjustable sole in front of the
blade(you loosen a small knob and turn a wingnut, then re-tighten), and a
horizontally mounted "wheel and fork" for the projection mechanism. Wheel rides
on a vertically mounted screw. Has an old-timey craftsman logo. Tom
Work at your leisure!

dave in fairfax

Tom wrote:
I've got a small low-angle plane with an adjustable sole in front of the
blade(you loosen a small knob and turn a wingnut, then re-tighten), and a
horizontally mounted "wheel and fork" for the projection mechanism. Wheel rides
on a vertically mounted screw. Has an old-timey craftsman logo.

That sounds like a fairly standard block plane. I don't see any
quetion here though, what is it you're wondering? Here are some
places to try to match it against. Remember that it is likely to
have been made by either Sargent or Millers Falls though.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan2.htm
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num18
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan9.htm#num60
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan9.htm#num65
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num102

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
Tom

Dave in Fairfax wrote:That sounds like a fairly standard block plane. I don't
see any
quetion here though, what is it you're wondering? Here are some
places to try to match it against. Remember that it is likely to
have been made by either Sargent or Millers Falls though.

I'm wondering about it's particulars, such as the designation #'s, original
cost, etc.. I'll look into the Sargent/Miller's Falls vein. Thanks! Tom
Work at your leisure!
Glen

dave in fairfax wrote:
Tom wrote:

I've got a small low-angle plane with an adjustable sole in front of the
blade(you loosen a small knob and turn a wingnut, then re-tighten), and a
horizontally mounted "wheel and fork" for the projection mechanism. Wheel rides
on a vertically mounted screw. Has an old-timey craftsman logo.

That sounds like a fairly standard block plane. I don't see any
quetion here though, what is it you're wondering? Here are some
places to try to match it against. Remember that it is likely to
have been made by either Sargent or Millers Falls though.

From the OP description the Craftsman does sound like the similar
Sargent model I picked up the Craftsman at a yardsale just last
Saturday (50 cents) and it is _very_ similar, indeed, to one of my
Sargents.

Glen