Old March 18th 12, 12:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plastic lumber -- where do you buy it?

I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Where do you but this HDPE lumber (in Midwest)?

A place that stocks, with a variety of shapes and colors.

I know I can get deck board but that's not what I'm after. THANKS.

Old March 18th 12, 01:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2012 7:43 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Where do you but this HDPE lumber (in Midwest)?

A place that stocks, with a variety of shapes and colors.

I know I can get deck board but that's not what I'm after. THANKS.

I think you are confused. Plastic furniture parts are not usually made
from sheets, planks, or sticks of material. The individual parts are
normally cast, injected, or extruded and are unique to each particular
product.

You've not indicated what it is you are trying to make, but you will not
find a source for what I think you're after.

If your needs can be met with acrylic or Lexan, then go to a plastic
supplier like:
Cope
http://www.copeplastics.com/

Another possibility would be to purchase sheets from toilet partition
folks like:
http://www.scrantonproducts.com/#

Man made counter tops are a type of plastic also:
http://solidsurface.com/

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Old March 18th 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 05:43:18 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Where do you but this HDPE lumber (in Midwest)?

A place that stocks, with a variety of shapes and colors.

I know I can get deck board but that's not what I'm after. THANKS.

I'm not sure HDPE is what you're wanting. If you want plastic
"lumber" you may be looking for products made from PVC. My small-town
lumber yard stocks products made by http://www.versatex.com/. I'm
sure there are many other vendors out there.
Old March 18th 12, 02:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/18/2012 7:43 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I wouldn't ask but I've Googled this to death and nothing. Plenty of places that sell plastic furniture and products but no info on raw materials.

Where do you but this HDPE lumber (in Midwest)?

A place that stocks, with a variety of shapes and colors.

I know I can get deck board but that's not what I'm after. THANKS.

What, specifically, _are_ you after?

Normal lumber yards stock (or can get) products from Azek, Versatex or
one of the other manufacturers of structural/trim lumber replacement
products.(+) As was noted elsewhere, most of these are PVC, not HDPE
(which will be quite expensive in any volume) if that's what you're
looking for. If you really are looking for the cast parts from which
many products are made as individual assemblies, there you're probably
out of luck unless you want to buy them by the car (or container) load
direct from the manufacturer.

Or, try Ou****er

http://www.ou****ercatalogs.com/home/index.cfm

(+) If you're not positive what these are, Fine Homebuilding
(www.taunton.com indirectly) did a comparison article some couple or
three years ago that compared the various products. While similar,
they're not all made alike and have different characteristics depending
on the fabrication technique and materials.

Old March 18th 12, 03:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

You are after the smooth stuff on both sides?

I was unable to come up with a source for a small amount. My SWMBO
wanted a table / umbrella stand (small about 24 " ) for around the pool.
The material is perfect because of the weight. I wound up using TREX
deck board because no one would sell small amounts of the smooth stuff.

Once I started laying it out, she wanted the wood grained side anyway.
So I got lucky.

The stuff works well, but I had problems with screws in endgrain
breaking the pieces. I used liquid nails for all joints with SS screws.
Clamp before driving a screw in endgrain to prevent it from splitting,
of course predrill too.

Old March 18th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Humph! My brother built his deck with the plastic lumber. His looks
okay to me. I expected he got it from HD or Lowes, AKA a common
"hardware" store. But we do have Carter's and a few other lumber only
places around Central Ohio. He is asleep know. He will be awake in a
few hours.

Mike in Ohio

Old March 18th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

This doesn't look precast to me --

http://www.polywoodinc.com/faq.html

Don't want to use deck boards -- perhaps these guys are using HDPE SHEET and cutting it to size.

I know you do custom colors in HDPE.

PVC is not what I meant or what I'm after.

Old March 18th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.polywoodinc.com/faq.html

This doesn't look like cast material to me and I'm not after PVC -- it's HDPE.

I'm starting to think that they're making these products out of custom HDPE sheet and then cutting to size.
Old March 18th 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/18/2012 1:29 PM, mkr5000 wrote:
This doesn't look precast to me --

http://www.polywoodinc.com/faq.html

Don't want to use deck boards -- perhaps these guys are using HDPE SHEET and cutting it to size.

I know you do custom colors in HDPE.

PVC is not what I meant or what I'm after.

Well, if that is what you're after, why

1) didn't you say so in the beginning, and

2) from the link you posted--

Where can I buy POLYWOOD™?
POLYWOOD™ dealers can be found using the dealer locator.

which is a live link...

Old March 18th 12, 06:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote:
This doesn't look precast to me --

http://www.polywoodinc.com/faq.html

Don't want to use deck boards -- perhaps these guys are using HDPE
SHEET and cutting it to size.

I know you do custom colors in HDPE.

PVC is not what I meant or what I'm after.

Did you put your zip code into the dealer locator on the web page you posted
here?

--

-Mike-