Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
ray

Default quality of miters from inexpensive power saws

I need to make a large number of small simple boxes, fairly quickly.
Dovetails are beautiful, but too time-consuming in this instance, and
also I can't afford a jig that can do random spacing. I like box joints,
but using the technique of building the box and then cutting off the
lid leaves a joint missing part of its width, which doesn't look good to
me. Also, making stop dadoes to hold top and bottom panels is a little
more time-consuming than through dadoes.

Eventually I decided on mitered corners with two contrasting splines in
the base and one in the top, which would be attractive and reasonably
strong. I have a shop-built miter sled for my table saw, which makes nice
miters, but the saw doesn't raise high enough above the sled to cut miters
in 3.5" wide stock, which is what I'm using for the boxes. I've made up a
couple nice samples using the router table and a chamfer bit, but this
takes too long and requires a lot of fiddly set-up.

Anyway, to get to my question, do inexpensive miter saws, like, say, the
Delta 36-075, make an accurate enough miter for this purpose? I'm
considering trying this, since I think I can justify the cost of the saw
because of upcoming extensive work on the moldings of my beat-up old house
in the near future.

I'll be grateful for any opinions, and thanks.

Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Storage of power tools Peter Bull UK diy 18 January 6th 04 09:48 PM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 9th 03 11:59 PM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 12:48 AM