Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting dados for thin shelves

Making an open front (no doors) sheet-music cabinet. This is to replace a similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on was particle board sides with 1/16"± shelves dado-ed every 1/2". The shelves were able to slide. I would like to re-use the shelves since they are thin and I cannot find similar thin particle board. Home Depot had masonite slightly fatter than 1/8 inch.

Anyway, the cabinet failed because the dado cuts broke through. I am contemplating using plywood for the new cabinet.
Advise needed:
1)What's a good grade of plywood for strength after cutting dados?
2)Should I laminate 1/8" masonite onto the the 3/4" ply. and make cut the dados through the masonite for strength and wear?

Note, this is not furniture, simply storage. I have over 20,000 song titles collected over the years and want to organize prior to my demise. All suggestions appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.woodworking

The 1/2 is rather small spacing, how deep you are making the dados is
also key.
So, if you were to take the 3/4 ply, any 7 ply cab grade would be
starting point. A higher count birch would also be good. But you don't
have to. If you start by attaching front and back of the vertical units
with Any solid wood of 1/2 to 3/4 thick, you will take the pressure off
the ply below the dados too, as the front takes most abuse. Then cut the
dados you will have a stronger piece. You do not need to face with
masonite. The failure point is definitely the front area of the vertical.

On 3/12/2012 11:28 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 12, 2012 8:57:10 AM UTC-7, tiredofspam wrote:
You do not need to face with
masonite. The failure point is definitely the front area of the vertical.

Hi Tiredofspam,
You are absolutely right. The front is exactly where the cabinet failed. I definitely will use solid wood 'rails' for the front and back.
Thanks, excellent suggestion. I never would have thought of it.

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2012 10:28 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Look for Baltic Birch plywood, a real lumber yard is going to be your
best bet. This plywood has many thin ply's, typically 9 for 1/2"
material, and is all hard wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 12, 2012 8:28:03 AM UTC-7, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Making an open front (no doors) sheet-music cabinet. This is to replace a similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on was particle board sides with 1/16"± shelves dado-ed every 1/2".

I'd think almost any kind of plywood is good for sides, but if you make slots for
a thin shelf, it makes for a short-grain situation with 1/2" spacing. Could you
face the plywood with Formica? A clean saw kerf would give you a nonsplintering
surface to slide the shelves in on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 4:05 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2012 8:28:03 AM UTC-7, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Making an open front (no doors) sheet-music cabinet. This is to replace a similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on was particle board sides with 1/16"± shelves dado-ed every 1/2".

I'd think almost any kind of plywood is good for sides, but if you make slots for
a thin shelf, it makes for a short-grain situation with 1/2" spacing. Could you
face the plywood with Formica? A clean saw kerf would give you a nonsplintering
surface to slide the shelves in on.

I was actually thinking about dado a slot for a stick of hardwood to be
glued into. The slot is in the hardwood piece.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich, put a piece of hardwood on the front of the cabinet. Glue it on.
Then dado. The hardwood will offer enough support when pulling out the
shelves. No need to line the slot with a hardwood filler and then cut a
slot.

On 3/17/2012 6:20 PM, Richard wrote:
On 3/17/2012 4:05 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2012 8:28:03 AM UTC-7, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Making an open front (no doors) sheet-music cabinet. This is to
replace a similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on
was particle board sides with 1/16"± shelves dado-ed every 1/2".

I'd think almost any kind of plywood is good for sides, but if you
make slots for
a thin shelf, it makes for a short-grain situation with 1/2" spacing.
Could you
face the plywood with Formica? A clean saw kerf would give you a
nonsplintering
surface to slide the shelves in on.

I was actually thinking about dado a slot for a stick of hardwood to be
glued into. The slot is in the hardwood piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Richard wrote:
On 3/17/2012 4:05 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2012 8:28:03 AM UTC-7, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Making an open front (no doors) sheet-music cabinet. This is to

replace a similar (garage sale) one that has failed. The failed on
was particle board sides with 1/16" shelves dado-ed every 1/2".

I'd think almost any kind of plywood is good for sides, but if you
make slots for a thin shelf, it makes for a short-grain situation
with 1/2" spacing. Could you face the plywood with Formica? A
clean saw kerf would give you a nonsplintering surface to slide
the shelves in on.

I was actually thinking about dado a slot for a stick of hardwood to be
glued into. The slot is in the hardwood piece.

'Hardwood' is overkill. These 'shelves' aren't going to either carry
significant weight, or be moved in/out frequently. Even a pine inset
would work. Or has been suggested a 'face' strip.

If you want really 'easy-sliding' shelves, consider using either strips
of HDPE (or UHMW) in the top/bottom of the slots, or an inset block.

Cutting deep dados [email protected] Woodworking 12 July 23rd 11 04:41 PM
cutting thin wood k Woodworking 31 December 1st 07 10:56 AM
cutting thin edge of plank [email protected] Woodworking 5 January 4th 07 06:27 PM
cutting thin copper sheet [email protected] Woodworking 21 September 15th 06 02:18 PM
Cutting off thin flange under a stainless sink? mbrooks Metalworking 11 August 31st 04 02:25 AM