Jonathan Oman

Default Position of blast gates

Okay, I did a google, but did not find the answer. For a dust collection
system, where should the blast gates be placed for each machine drop? Six
inches from each machine, or just past the 'Y' coming from the main line?
Does it matter?

Thanks, Jon Oman

Gene T

Jon, IMHO, for effeciency is should be placed as close to the main line as
possible. For convenience and practcality, it should be placed where it is
convenient for you.
Gene
"Jonathan Oman" wrote in message
Okay, I did a google, but did not find the answer. For a dust collection
system, where should the blast gates be placed for each machine drop? Six
inches from each machine, or just past the 'Y' coming from the main line?
Does it matter?

Thanks, Jon Oman

Nova

Jonathan Oman wrote:

Okay, I did a google, but did not find the answer. For a dust collection
system, where should the blast gates be placed for each machine drop? Six
inches from each machine, or just past the 'Y' coming from the main line?
Does it matter?

It depends on how much you like to walk.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

igor

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:38:12 -0400, Jonathan Oman
wrote:

Okay, I did a google, but did not find the answer. For a dust collection
system, where should the blast gates be placed for each machine drop? Six
inches from each machine, or just past the 'Y' coming from the main line?
Does it matter?

FWIW -- I need to put a damper in my HVAC system, in the main trunk supply
that runs from the basement air handler/furnace up to the attic. There are
two "main" trunks - one for down stairs one for upstairs. I asked my HVAC
guy whether I should make a point of putting the damper as close to the
plenum at the air handler and he said it did not matter much.

Now, with the recent debate here over air flow there may be a
scientifically "correct" answer to your question. However, it would seem
that if (theoretically) the blast gates and each hose section were air
tight that it would not matter where a gate went. That being said, whether
the real world fact that there will be some leaks makes a difference, I
dunno. -- Igor.

PS: This being said, my first instinct is/was that Gene is right. I know
it is often said that one is supposed to take that first instinct on SAT
test questions, but it may not be true of DC system design.

G. Lewin

Jonathan Oman wrote:
Okay, I did a google, but did not find the answer. For a dust collection
system, where should the blast gates be placed for each machine drop? Six
inches from each machine, or just past the 'Y' coming from the main line?
Does it matter?

Thanks, Jon Oman

So long as the line doesn't leak, it is irrelevant where you put them.
Oh, I suppose if they were right up flush with the main line you might
see a difference in the third decimal place or so, but for all practical
purposes, it doesn't matter.

Put them where it is most convenient.

J. Clarke

wrote:

[...]

Big question--how powerful is the dust collector and how strong are the
ducts? All ducting between the blast gate and the dust collector needs to
be sturdy enough to not collapse when all the blast gates are closed with
the power on. If you're using a shop-vac it's not that much of an
issue--if you're using a 5 HP cyclone then it's another story.

There's also a convenience issue--you need to have the blast gate close
enough to the position where the machine operator normally stands that he
can operate it without undue strain or contortions or reaching through a
"danger zone".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Frank J. Vitale

It is a good idea to put them in a place were the duct is vertical. It
minimizes the build up of dust in the slot that the gate rides in which
keeps you from full closing the gate.

Jonathan Oman

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Based on the answers, I have decided
to place the blast gates close to each machine. In answer to one of the
questions asked, my DC is a Jet DC-1200C. It is the 2HP, 240volt, canister
model.

Thanks, Jon Oman