David Cannaday

Default buying machinery for a shop

Ok, I have wanted forever to have a shop, and I am prolly putting the horse
before the cart and I know that I am going to hear both sides here. I
called a number I saw in the want ads for some little piece of machinery and
ended up buying a craftsman radial arm saw for 250. I mentioned I would
like to find a bandsaw and he had a friend who just bought a house with a
complete workshop in it and was selling his 14" Grizzly. Called him, bought
it for $175. He said he was going to sell his Jet 6" planer, looked new,
got it for $200. Said he had a Rockwell table saw at the new house that he
was going to sell, prolly for $300. Going to take him the money for the
jointer Saturday, and then go look at the TS. As this is an "older" man who
bought a house from an "older" man and both were using the equipment, I feel
pretty OK about buying this equipment, but would like some suggestions on
what to look for on the TS. I thought that by buying used, I could recover
some, if not most of my investment if it does not turn out to be what I want
to do and I could always sell and upgrade. Thank you in advance. David.

David Cannaday

I meant 6" JOINTER. I wonder why the spell checker missed that one?

Tom

David wrote:I meant 6" JOINTER. I wonder why the spell checker missed that
one?

Because you spelled "planer" correctly. Tom
Work at your leisure!
toller

Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

Tom

Toller wrote:Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

Not really a word, unless it gets used more. I claim poetic license. Saves me
from using "emoticons". Tom
Work at your leisure!

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:39:21 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

I espect so....
DonkeyHody

David,
The tool snobs will disagree, but I think you are heading in the right
direction. The machines you have mentioned will be quite servicable
until your skills progress. By then, you'll know where your
priorities are. Meanwhile, you'll get your shop started without
taking out a second mortgage.

As for the table saw; check for slack in the adjusting mechanism,
especially the tilt. Lay a straightedge across the table in several
places to be sure it's flat. I'm not saying to obsess over whether
you can see light under it, but you shouldn't be able to slip a
business card under it anywhere. Extension wings can usually be
adjusted into alignment unless they're bent. If it's a Rockwell, it
"prolly" has cast iron wings anyway. Check the fence to be sure it's
straight and locks down tight. It's really good if the fence locks
down parallel every time, but most don't. It would be hard to make a
huge mistake on a $300 Rockwell table saw unless it's totally trashed.
If it turns out not to be what you want, you should be able to get
your money back easily.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

"David Cannaday" wrote in message ...
[...]

Mutt

Gee, dunno....

Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

George

[...]

Here are some things I would look for in a table saw:
1)Good fence, easily adjusted and parallel to the blade at least 30"
to one side of blade.
2)Dust collection
3)Must be powerful enough to rip a 2" thick oak board
4)Sturdy base.
5)Splitter should be easy to remove
6)Emergency shut off capability. Good unit will have a large switch
that allows you to shut the machine off with your knee
7)Good flat cast iron top. I owned a craftsman with aluminum top.
After a couple years use it was no longer flat

George

Robert Bonomi

In article , toller wrote:
Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

It's a kind of plasticky varnish, isn't it?

*snicker*

Phisherman

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:05:41 GMT, "David Cannaday"
wrote:

[...]

This may be a good idea, although I don't know your question. I find
that buying used equipment is a hit-or-miss situation. I would give
particular care about having a quality table saw with a quality fence,
as this is the workhorse of most wood shops.

J. Clarke

Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article , toller
wrote:
Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

It's a kind of plasticky varnish, isn't it?

I thought it was a name commonly given to prarrots by prirates.

*snicker*

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Unisaw A100

David Cannaday wrote:
I thought that by buying used, I could recover some, if not most of my
investment if it does not turn out to be what I want to do and I could
always sell and upgrade.

Actually you can make back a least what you have in the
machines.

If you aren't too shy about rebuilding/refurbishing you can
make more than your initial monetary investment.

UA100
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article , toller
wrote:
Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

It's a kind of plasticky varnish, isn't it?

I thought it was a name commonly given to prarrots by prirates.

"Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven! Awk!"

Never mind. it's just a one-bit parroty error.

As for parrots and pirates, "The Wonderful O!", by James Thurber, is
a *must* read.

Mark Hopkins

Isn't Prolly that clear finish that they use in Japan?

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article , toller

wrote:
Is "prolly" a word? You used it several times.

It's a kind of plasticky varnish, isn't it?

I thought it was a name commonly given to prarrots by prirates.

"Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven! Awk!"

Never mind. it's just a one-bit parroty error.

As for parrots and pirates, "The Wonderful O!", by James Thurber, is
a *must* read.

David Cannaday

Thanks to everyone for all the help. And I promise not to use prolly
instead of probably in here.

probably
probably
probably...