DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sander (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/336445-sander.html)

Steve B[_13_] February 27th 12 05:33 PM

Sander

I am looking for a combination sander. One with a belt, disk, and drum on
the same machine, for small items. They range all over the map pricewise.
Without going to a real high quality unit, which is a lot more than I need,
what would be a good unit? I'd like one that has a horizontal as well as
vertical belt, although that may be possible with the same machine.

Figure to spend around $150. Is that possible? Maybe at a pawn shop?

Steve

Bill[_31_] February 27th 12 07:17 PM

Sander

On 2/27/2012 12:33 PM, Steve B wrote:
I am looking for a combination sander. One with a belt, disk, and drum on
the same machine, for small items. They range all over the map pricewise.
Without going to a real high quality unit, which is a lot more than I need,
what would be a good unit? I'd like one that has a horizontal as well as
vertical belt, although that may be possible with the same machine.

Figure to spend around $150. Is that possible? Maybe at a pawn shop?

Steve

Gosh, as I always heard arriving at my fishing spot, "You should have
been here last week!"

Larry Blanchard kindly recommended this disc sander substitute for $18.99 :

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...g-Disc-10.aspx

I was looking at sanders from Grizzly, and Leon suggested to look for
one with a cast iron wheel.

That may help you to admire this unit deep breath:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-D...th-Brake/G0702

Once you start admiring all of the features on it:, nice cast iron
table, built in brake, etc., you'll forget all about what you planned to
spend! : )

I think we're in the same boat, maybe we can go "Half-sies"?
How far are you willing to drive to use it?? : )

Bill

Mike Marlow[_2_] February 27th 12 08:15 PM

Sander

Steve B wrote:
I am looking for a combination sander. One with a belt, disk, and
drum on the same machine, for small items. They range all over the
map pricewise. Without going to a real high quality unit, which is a
lot more than I need, what would be a good unit? I'd like one that
has a horizontal as well as vertical belt, although that may be
possible with the same machine.
Figure to spend around $150. Is that possible? Maybe at a pawn shop?

Steve

Have you looked at Harbor Freight? It's mentioned enough on this forum that
it's hard to believe one would not look there.

--

-Mike-

Gramp's shop February 28th 12 01:52 AM

Sander

On 2/27/2012 2:15 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I am looking for a combination sander. One with a belt, disk, and
drum on the same machine, for small items. They range all over the
map pricewise. Without going to a real high quality unit, which is a
lot more than I need, what would be a good unit? I'd like one that
has a horizontal as well as vertical belt, although that may be
possible with the same machine.
Figure to spend around $150. Is that possible? Maybe at a pawn shop?

Steve

Have you looked at Harbor Freight? It's mentioned enough on this forum that
it's hard to believe one would not look there.

I have the little HF belt/disc sander. Pretty shoddy construction, but
it works. The disk does not align squarely with the table. Moving the
table from the disk to the belt is a PITA. The price was right -- about
$60 on sale -- but ya always get what you pay for. You'll probably do
better on CL.

Larry

Richard[_9_] February 28th 12 02:49 AM

Sander

On 2/27/2012 11:33 AM, Steve B wrote:
I am looking for a combination sander. One with a belt, disk, and drum on
the same machine, for small items. They range all over the map pricewise.
Without going to a real high quality unit, which is a lot more than I need,
what would be a good unit? I'd like one that has a horizontal as well as
vertical belt, although that may be possible with the same machine.

Figure to spend around $150. Is that possible? Maybe at a pawn shop?

Steve

I've had two of he Ryobi 4" sanders.
4" belt and 6" disk.
But they don't last very long - at least in my hands.

I saw a couple of units at Harbor Freight for well under a buck each.
One is a 4" belt with disk, the other a 1" belt (?).
I'm going to grab both of them when we get moved and I have a shop again...

Larry Blanchard February 28th 12 06:54 PM

Sander

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 14:17:25 -0500, Bill wrote:

Gosh, as I always heard arriving at my fishing spot, "You should have
been here last week!"

Larry Blanchard kindly recommended this disc sander substitute for
$18.99 :

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...g-Disc-10.aspx

And for belt and drum, both oscillating, it's hard to beat the Ridgid one
at Home Depot.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/98

It does exceed the OPs price range, maybe he can find a used one?