DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Topcoat vs. Wax (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/33599-topcoat-vs-wax.html)

WoodworkerTed July 23rd 04 04:39 PM

Topcoat vs. Wax

I am a rookie. I just built a four post bed out of Poplar, which I
stained with a General Finish Mahogany Gel Wax. I've sanded them down
and love the look. Now I want to know what I should do next.
General makes a Satin Topcoat which I was thinking about using - the
other option is Briwax.
Any suggestions? Please help.
Thanks.

MikeG July 23rd 04 06:00 PM

Topcoat vs. Wax

In article ,
says...
I am a rookie. I just built a four post bed out of Poplar, which I
stained with a General Finish Mahogany Gel Wax. I've sanded them down
and love the look. Now I want to know what I should do next.
General makes a Satin Topcoat which I was thinking about using - the
other option is Briwax.
Any suggestions? Please help.
Thanks.

I'd have to assume that General Finish Mahogany Gel Wax should read GFMG
stain.

As a finish wax provides on protection to speak of though wax on a
finish does does help keep the finish looking good.

That said and considering a bed doesn't need a hell of a lot of
protection you could probably get away with wax but I'd be inclined to
lean towards a Danish oil.

When talking about a wax or oil finish vs a surface finish, satin or
otherwise, you are talking apples and oranges as far as looks and
protection go.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

RonB July 23rd 04 06:39 PM

Topcoat vs. Wax

You might consider a poly finish such as MinWax wipe on Poly and top of with
a wax. The wax finish on top of the poly really is not needed but it can
add luster.

om...