DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Crown moulding on 12/12 pitch cathedral ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/33165-crown-moulding-12-12-pitch-cathedral-ceiling.html)

Stephen Maye July 7th 04 02:38 PM

Crown moulding on 12/12 pitch cathedral ceiling

I am buildig an entertainment center up against a cathedral ceiling.
The pitch is a 12/12 or 45 degree. When I try to use a piece of crown
at the top the back of the moulding just lays on the 45 degree ceiling
because the angle of the sprung crown is the same as the ceiling
pitch.

Any clues? Do they sell crowns that are cut at a different angle?

[email protected] July 7th 04 04:12 PM

On 7 Jul 2004 06:38:14 -0700, (Stephen Maye) wrote:

I am buildig an entertainment center up against a cathedral ceiling.
The pitch is a 12/12 or 45 degree. When I try to use a piece of crown
at the top the back of the moulding just lays on the 45 degree ceiling
because the angle of the sprung crown is the same as the ceiling
pitch.

Any clues? Do they sell crowns that are cut at a different angle?

what's the problem with the crown being tight to the ceiling?

Bay Area Dave July 7th 04 04:13 PM

Crown moulding on 12/12 pitch cathedral ceiling

wrote:

On 7 Jul 2004 06:38:14 -0700,
(Stephen Maye) wrote:

I am buildig an entertainment center up against a cathedral ceiling.
The pitch is a 12/12 or 45 degree. When I try to use a piece of crown
at the top the back of the moulding just lays on the 45 degree ceiling
because the angle of the sprung crown is the same as the ceiling
pitch.

Any clues? Do they sell crowns that are cut at a different angle?

what's the problem with the crown being tight to the ceiling?

it ISN'T tight to the ceiling. the bevel on the back of the
molding doesn't match the angle needed. I have the same
issue in my house. I was gonna install molding and decided
it was too much of a PITA to shave the bevel down, so I
returned the molding for a refund. Some things are just
more hassle than I'm willing to put up with.

dave

Joe Willmann July 24th 04 07:25 PM

Crown moulding on 12/12 pitch cathedral ceiling

wrote in news:uc3oe013e1etrb0bhv8ml53g0tasucejtf@
4ax.com:

On 7 Jul 2004 06:38:14 -0700,
(Stephen Maye) wrote:

I am buildig an entertainment center up against a cathedral ceiling.
The pitch is a 12/12 or 45 degree. When I try to use a piece of crown
at the top the back of the moulding just lays on the 45 degree ceiling
because the angle of the sprung crown is the same as the ceiling
pitch.

Any clues? Do they sell crowns that are cut at a different angle?

what's the problem with the crown being tight to the ceiling?

Here is what you do. You make a filler strip to fill the gap between
the crown mouling and the ceiling.

1) rip some square stock at the same angle as the ceiling. 2x2 will
probably do.

2) Nail that up to the Ceiling. Spaced away from the roof/wall joint as
far as needed so that when you put the crown mouling agaist the wall it
goes up to the piece you added.

It will make the crown moulding look a little bigger. A good thing for
cathedral ceilings.