Old July 24th 16, 01:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall / Free Upgrade Kit

On 7/24/2016 2:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 4:26:43 PM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free
upgrade kit.

the new news is they are no longer sending a kit, instead you make
the saw worthless by sending parts to the company and they will
send you $100. Then you can buy a new one for $800, in otherwards
you have been screwed.

That was always the case for some models.

That's correct. My particular model was never eligible for the retrofit
kit like the others. In the end though, IF it is true that
Sears/Emerson Electric is no longer sending out the kits, to say one is
screwed is a rather ridiculous statement.

I'm not sure, but I'm reasonably certain that the retrofit offer has
been out there and fairly well published (and discussed) for at least
two decades, probably more. If you didn't take advantage of it, whose
fault is that?

OTOH, even though my RAS model was only ever eligible for the "turn in"
offer of $100, it still runs as well as it did when I bought it in the
early 70's. AFAIAC, it's one of the better Sears RAS that still had
some "beef" and, when properly set up and tuned was and is a great RAS.

The only thing the recall ever addressed was safety guard issues that,
again, are pretty much "non-issues" if you exercise the due care
required when using such tools.

Just my two cents.

Old July 24th 16, 05:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
says...

[...]

Yep. To say that one is "screwed" is greatly overstating the case.
Getting a new table for free was nice, the new guard was more annoyance
than benefit and has been replaced with the old guard, so about all that
changed is that I saved the price of a half a sheet of MDF.

Old July 29th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

For what it's worth, I has a 9" Craftsman RAS stored away for possible resurrection in the future. Got it VERY cheap in a yard sale. I just realized it was a candidate for the recall. I sent in the request in May, got the return box in June and the $100 check last week.

So, if your saw is a candidate and you no longer want it, you can still get the $s.

Bill

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:18:21 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
In article om,
says...

Old October 13th 16, 08:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 3:26:43 PM UTC-5, kimosabe wrote:
This is old news for some guys. Sears will send you a free upgrade
kit.

Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7emIOjHC_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjxwvHf9To

Tried to get a safety kit for my radial arm saw. They said it was no longer available. They wanted me to send parts of my working saw in to disable it and get a $100 rebate. My saw is worth a lot more than that, as it is used often. Would just like it to be safer. 8 87u 8u 8
Old December 6th 16, 01:24 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I call on Friday they said no more retrofit kits are available for my saw I have been using this saw for a long time and have had no issues with it so if they don't want to pay me it's value which to me is 500.00 as it makes me alot of money then it is on them if it does go to hell . Talked to my attorney he said they can't offer to fix just some and not all.

Old Craftsman radial arm saw free - metro Atlanta John Woodworking 2 May 10th 07 04:49 PM
RECALL: Craftsman Circular Saw Greg Home Repair 0 April 6th 07 12:21 AM
RECALL: Craftsman Circular Saw Greg Home Ownership 0 April 6th 07 12:20 AM
Ryobi Radial Arm Saw Recall KENDALL SEYBERT Woodworking 4 July 20th 06 03:33 AM
Radial Arm Saw, Craftsman Booboo Woodworking 0 January 20th 05 08:53 PM