toller

Default How to fix broken particle board.

I have a heavy chest made out of veneered particle board. A friend tried to
move it by pulling up on the top, and the top just ripped off, taking some
of the particle board with it.

I would like to fix it up, but am not sure how. I don't want to fill the
holes because drilling new holes accurately would be tough, but I can't
think of any way to repair the particle board except by filling the whole
thing with epoxy putty.

Or maybe it is an exercise in futility because any patch will have
inadequate bonding to the particle board to matter.

Will drywall screws hold in particle board? Maybe I should use completely
new holes and not bother to fix the old ones.

Any suggestions?

Greg

Can you put "T" nuts behind the holes and use machine screws? That is really
the best way to put Pboard together although I hate the stuff.
toller

"Greg" wrote in message
Can you put "T" nuts behind the holes and use machine screws? That is

really
the best way to put Pboard together although I hate the stuff.

No, that would put them on the top surface. Thanks anyhow.

Chipper Wood

Assuming that the veneer is still intact, router out an oversized section in
the P B and glue in a corresponding thickness and size patch of pine. The
glue should adhere to both materials and give you a new base for the screws.

--
Chipper Wood
useoursatyahoodotcom

"toller" wrote in message
I have a heavy chest made out of veneered particle board. A friend tried

move it by pulling up on the top, and the top just ripped off, taking some
of the particle board with it.

I would like to fix it up, but am not sure how. I don't want to fill the
holes because drilling new holes accurately would be tough, but I can't
think of any way to repair the particle board except by filling the whole
thing with epoxy putty.

Or maybe it is an exercise in futility because any patch will have
inadequate bonding to the particle board to matter.

Will drywall screws hold in particle board? Maybe I should use completely
new holes and not bother to fix the old ones.

Any suggestions?

Greg O

"toller" wrote in message
Maybe I should use completely
new holes and not bother to fix the old ones.

That is your answer!
Greg