Mark Leininger

Default Market for old Craftsman Table Saw

Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts or
something.
Thanks for any info
Charlie Self

Mark Leininger asks:

Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts or
something.

If you find one, let me know. I've got a good friend who has 3 old Craftsman
saws he'd like to sell to make space, but so far all offers have been below the
value of the motors...IIRC, he has put new or newer motors on 2 of them. I
think he plans to keep the '29 patent, with the engine turned panel, but
otherwise, a couple sales will make him smile.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

Bob Schmall

Mark:
Google on "Old woodworking machines" Our very own Keith Bohn (UnisawA100) is
into this heavily, so you could also ping him through this newsgroup.

Bob Schmall

"Mark Leininger" wrote in message
Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts or
something.
Thanks for any info

Bannerstone

There's a classified section on oldwwmachines.com, if not the whole saw maybe
parts like the table extensions would be in demand.

David

In article , Mark Leininger says...

Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts or
something.
Thanks for any info

patriarch

Mark Leininger wrote in :

Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

snippage

Check in your area for a woodworkers club, or an adult education-type
program. There are often folks associated with them, looking for machines
they can rebuild, upgrade, or get into inexpensively.

The thing to remember is that the competition, pricewise, is with the
shiny, new, probably much less hassle, maybe not as well made, new machines
sold at Sears or the BORG. What you want to find is someone who
appreciates how they used to be made, and is willing to spend some time on
putting one back together better than new.

Those folks are out there, but they are relatively scarce. Once you find
one, they often turn out to be good friends to have around.

Patriarch

Charlie Self

slipslidinaway asks:

If you find one, let me know. I've got a good friend who has 3 old Craftsman
saws he'd like to sell to make space, but so far all offers have been below

the
value of the motors...IIRC, he has put new or newer motors on 2 of them. I
think he plans to keep the '29 patent, with the engine turned panel, but
otherwise, a couple sales will make him smile.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

Forgive my ignorance but what would these saws sell for?

Well, see, that's the problem. They won't sell for $75, which is the offer, and
no one will offer $150 or $175, which is, I think, what he wants.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

vmtw

Mark Leininger wrote in message ...
Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts or
something.
Thanks for any info

My 60's Sears saw motor quite a while back, just hummed, I took it to
an electric motor shop and they blew the dust out of the contacts and
it has worked fine ever since. Have you checked the contacts? They
might have a used motor for cheap.
Scott

RonB

Dave - I am trying to dispose of a 70's vintage Craftsman TS myself and the
router table idea crossed my mind. My first thought was the insert
shape/size did not seem workable. Could you describe, in general, how you
did the conversion? Does it require machining?

Any Pics?

Ron Brogan

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
You could always junk eveything but the cast iron top and convert it into

router table. I did this for my brother and it works very nicely.

Dave

"Mark Leininger" wrote in message
Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts or
something.
Thanks for any info

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Charlie Self

Larry Jaques writes:

slipslidinaway asks:

Forgive my ignorance but what would these saws sell for?

Well, see, that's the problem. They won't sell for $75, which is the offer,

and
no one will offer $150 or $175, which is, I think, what he wants.

Remind him that the prices paid for all his equipment, supplies,
and their maintenance are "sunk costs". He'll never get that price
back out of them, so any money he makes selling them is pure profit.

A used motor isn't worth the price of a new one, either.

And a Crapsman, by any other name, would still stink as sweet.

LJ, who buys cheap and sells elevated whenever possible.

I'm not about to remind him. When I have something for sale, I hand it to him
to sell. He invariably gets more for it than I can. He may have to keep the
saws around longer than you or I would like, but eventually he'll get his price
or very close to it. As far as motors go, when you pay $100 for a used motor,
it is not automatically worth $50 afterwards.

He can wait. He doesn't like to wait.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

TeamCasa

Ron, Yes, there is a small amount of machining involved. I had a local
machine shop cut a hole in the top so a router Mast-R-Lift (Rockler) would
drop in. Some additional support was added underneath by using some 2"x1/4"
aluminum angle. Attached the top to a homemade stand and wha-la! The whole
project, minus the cost of the Mast-R-Lift, was under a $100.00. I'll ask
my brother to take some pictures and email them to me.

Dave

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
You could always junk eveything but the cast iron top and convert it

into
router table. I did this for my brother and it works very nicely.

Dave

"Mark Leininger" wrote in message
Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than

ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts

or
something.
Thanks for any info

News==----

Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=---

RonB

Thanks - I replaced my old Craftsman a couple of years ago with a cabinet
saw and put it in storage. Thought my son would want it and he got a better
offer. Even with a bad motor, I kinda hate to pitch it.

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
You could always junk eveything but the cast iron top and convert it

into
router table. I did this for my brother and it works very nicely.

Dave

"Mark Leininger" wrote in message
Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than

ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years.
I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out
over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an

antique,
but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to
people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts

or
something.
Thanks for any info

News==----