DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sheetrock? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/327519-sheetrock.html)

Sonny August 22nd 11 04:33 AM

Sheetrock?

Is sheetrock still questionable, regarding Chinese formaldehyde, or is
"today's" sheetrock still questionable?

Is there a USA manufacturer, for safe sheetrock?

Sonny

Josepi[_19_] August 22nd 11 05:18 AM

Sheetrock?

I have never heard of drywall having formaldehyde in it. This is usually
associated with glues or resins.

------------

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] August 22nd 11 11:08 AM

Sheetrock?

"Sonny" wrote in message
Is sheetrock still questionable, regarding Chinese formaldehyde, or is
"today's" sheetrock still questionable?

Is there a USA manufacturer, for safe sheetrock?

Sonny

It does not have formaldehyde in it.
The sheet rock is manufactured using fly ash which is a waste product of
coal burnt in power plants. It emits hydrogen sulfide gas and has the faint
odor of rotting eggs.

There are some US makers, but they have closed a plant or two because of the
building decline.

Swingman August 22nd 11 03:27 PM

Sheetrock?

On 8/21/2011 10:33 PM, Sonny wrote:
Is sheetrock still questionable, regarding Chinese formaldehyde, or is
"today's" sheetrock still questionable?

Is there a USA manufacturer, for safe sheetrock?

Unless you're buying from a small, local dealer who has an inventory
that has been sitting there for three or more year, I seriously doubt
that you are going to have a problem in 2011 with the problem Chinese
product of a few years back.

Buy from the Borgs in your area, particularly if you stick with a
national chain like Home Depot, Lowes, etc., and you should be just fine.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Sonny August 22nd 11 04:12 PM

Sheetrock?

Actually, I wasn't thinking, last night, when I posted the query. I
recall thinking something wasn't right, in that, I was aware it was
the Chinese plywood that had issues with formaldehyde (FEMA trailers
especially, post-Katrina), not sheetrock. Anyway.....

My post was on behalf of a lady in a gardening chat room, I visit.
She is in the Corpus Christi, Tx area and is having some remodeling
work done. She stated her contractor told her there was no problem
with sheetrock, but she didn't know any better.... if it was sheetrock
(or something else) that had issues concerning formaldehyde. Her not
knowing any better, she mentioned her concern in the chat room and I
told her I would ask, here, to make sure. I gave her the link to
here, so she may pop in for commenting. Her name is Jan. I'm sure
your comments will be a relief for her. Thanks.

Other chat room members were interested in the facts, also.

Sonny

Swingman August 22nd 11 04:25 PM

Sheetrock?

On 8/22/2011 10:12 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

There are a number of US plywood sheet goods manufacturers with either
"no formaldehyde" or ""no formaldehyde added" products.

Columbia Forrest Products plywood, which is usually available Home
Depot, is made here in the US with a formaldehyde free glue, so should
be something that is easy to find.

Probably worse than plywood with formaldehyde content is MDF.

Temple-Inland, among others, makes a formaldehyde free MDF product which
you can usually find at better lumber yards, plywood dealers.

With the emphasis on green building these days, there are a lot more of
these products than there used to be. As a builder I've had to stay up
on what is available as it is a question I get asked ten times a day.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Doug Houseman August 22nd 11 04:56 PM

Sheetrock?

In article
,
Sonny wrote:

[...]

Sonny -

The problem was that the Chinese mixed fly ash and the limestone from
the fluidized bed of their coal fired power plants. Most Gypsum used
today is a by-product of a coal fired power plant and if it is done
correctly (regulations in the US and quality control at US plants mean
that 99% of the time it is here) there is no harmful chemicals in the
wall board. In the case of the Chinese Wallboard, the wallboard
manufacturers had a lack of raw material, so scooped up anything that
was a waste product of the plant. That included fly ash that had a large
amount of sulphur compounds in it. The wallboard leached sulfuric acid
and sulfur dioxide (stank and eroded fasteners, etc).

China now has a quality control process in place and has segregated the
waste products.

Domitar and others make wallboard in the USA and Canada. Lowe's and
others have Greenboard and paperless board that pretty much all is made
in the USA or Canada. If you are willing to go a grade above the plain
old wallboard, you can normally find on the edge tape a "Made In xxx"
label on the edge tape that holds two sheets together.

Doug Miller[_2_] August 22nd 11 05:33 PM

Sheetrock?

In article , Sonny wrote:
Actually, I wasn't thinking, last night, when I posted the query. I
recall thinking something wasn't right, in that, I was aware it was
the Chinese plywood that had issues with formaldehyde (FEMA trailers
especially, post-Katrina), not sheetrock. Anyway.....

I think you were confusing two different things: plywood (Chinese or
otherwise) that was outgassing formaldehyde, and Chinese drywall that was
outgassing hydrogen sulfide.

Sonny August 22nd 11 08:09 PM

Sheetrock?

I think you were confusing two different things: plywood (Chinese or
otherwise) that was outgassing formaldehyde, and Chinese drywall that was
outgassing hydrogen sulfide.

Yeah, I was confused, because I didn't know the appropriate facts
about sheetrock or plywood. I couldn't answer Jan's concern because
I didn't know. That's why I came here, to get some facts, rather than
relying on my own speculations (based more on news reports post-
Katrina, than any actual knowledge). I didn't even remember the news
reports correctly, as to whether it was sheetrock or plywood that had
the formaldehyde issue.

Jan is having sheetrock work done and she mentioned formaldehyde. I
didn't know, any better, to catch the error. I suppose/suspect Jan's
contractor caught her faux pas, just as readily as you all caught
mine, and that he is taking good care of her remodeling.

Sonny

Max August 22nd 11 10:08 PM

Sheetrock?

"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

By the way, Sheetrock is a trademarked name for gypsum wallboard panels.
USG Corp makes Sheetrock but other companies make gypsum wallboard as well.

Max

Bill[_41_] August 22nd 11 11:26 PM

Sheetrock?

Sonny wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I DO REMEMBER hearing on the news of houses being built with
drywall imported from Asia that contained Formaldehyde. The memory
crossed my mind too when I bought drywall last year. Of course, I don't
know whether a typical news reporter can be relied on to know the
difference between Hydrogen Sulfide and Formaldehyde, but I'm no less
concerned about one than the other.

Bill

HeyBub[_3_] August 23rd 11 12:58 PM

Sheetrock?

Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:

[...]

Are you sure the reporter didn't call it a "high-powered assault weapon"?

Steve Barker[_6_] August 26th 11 05:10 PM

Sheetrock?

On 8/21/2011 10:33 PM, Sonny wrote:
Is sheetrock still questionable, regarding Chinese formaldehyde, or is
"today's" sheetrock still questionable?

Is there a USA manufacturer, for safe sheetrock?

Sonny

USG "SHEETROCK" brand drywall is still made in the US of A and is the
only one i would ever consider using. Blue and red end stripes.

--
Steve Barker

Steve Barker[_6_] August 26th 11 05:13 PM

Sheetrock?

http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-gypsum-panels.html

--
Steve Barker