Old August 23rd 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned (unless I missed it) the old
trick of using a ruler, selecting a number of arbitrary evenly spaced
markings corresponding to the number of holes needed, then angling
the ruler diagonally across the workpiece (or on a bench where the
workpiece is laying, if necessary) until lines drawn perpendicular to a line
parallel to the holes match up with the selected ruler marks. No
math or arithmetic necessary. Unfortunately easier shown than explained,
but some older woodworking books have pictures of the technique.

Old August 23rd 11, 02:04 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Let;s add the complexity of working in a foreign language or conversion to
another measurement system to the guy that already has trouble with math!

More practical? A calculator.

Wot and idiot!

----------------
"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...
Metric.
Try it.

----------------
Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

Old August 23rd 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W"
wrote in message
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned
(unless I missed it) the old
trick of using a ruler, selecting a number of
arbitrary evenly spaced
markings corresponding to the number of holes
needed, then angling
the ruler diagonally across the workpiece (or on
a bench where the
workpiece is laying, if necessary) until lines
drawn perpendicular to a line
parallel to the holes match up with the selected
ruler marks. No
math or arithmetic necessary. Unfortunately
easier shown than explained,
but some older woodworking books have pictures
of the technique.

This method has been mentioned. The problem is
that even though
the hole centers are spaced equally the spaces
between the holes differs.
i.e. The space between the left border and the
first hole as well as
the space between the last hole and the right
border are twice the
space between the other holes. It's up to the OP
to decide if that is
acceptable.
phil k.

Old August 23rd 11, 05:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Growing up on the farm we only had a two-holer, but my grand-dad had a
three-holer with a star cutout in the door. No idea how they figured
out how to space the holes.

--
Gerald Ross

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose
your nursing home.

Old August 23rd 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/22/2011 10:11 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border
and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs
that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Growing up on the farm we only had a two-holer, but my grand-dad had a
three-holer with a star cutout in the door. No idea how they figured out
how to space the holes.

That was a damn sight easier to figure out ... just mark the profile of
the biggest ass on a board, add two more just like it using the Sears
catalog as a spacer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Old August 23rd 11, 08:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
[...]

Lengthwise for spacing, widthwise for use, right?

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
Old August 24th 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:
[...]

Gosh, a small-ass could fall through!!! ewwwwww!
Old August 24th 11, 01:08 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the
select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide"
from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it
will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and based on
the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red
dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible
markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you
want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be
55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)

The bonus is, since you are in a cad program, you can draw up whatever
you want the holes for, and see what it will look like:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Old August 24th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

Actually, that's where my two photographs came from in the links, and
I'm sure Leon's pdf file on abpw ...