Old August 21st 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hole spacing

"Leon" [email protected] wrote in message
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

What is a.b.p.woodworking or a.b.o.woodworking? I look for binaries groups
but see none

Pin

Old August 21st 11, 04:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:13:50 -0400, "Pin" wrote:

What is a.b.p.woodworking or a.b.o.woodworking? I look for binaries groups
but see none

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Old August 21st 11, 04:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 21, 8:27*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

I'd rather have the pint.

Old August 21st 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Paul typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

HTH,

Twayne`

Old August 21st 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 21, 8:02*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
whit3rd wrote in
..
com:

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). *Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on
that second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). *Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the
secondary line to the original line.

I hope the OP could follow that - cause I sure couldn't...

It's the compass-and-straightedge method to evenly divide a line
segment: make a second line that is measured off into N equal
bits, connect the Nth mark on second line to the end of the primary
line segment to make a triangle, then (using a bevel in this case
to replicate the angle) by simlar triangles, construct the equally
spaced points on the original line segment. * It doesn't really need
any ruler at all (dividers can make equal-size divisions).

An interesting method. *Here's the first hit for a webpage describing
the method:http://www.mathopenref.com/constdividesegment.html

Sometimes geometry is much easier than algebra.

I apologize in advance if the flash app at the top is something
undesired. *I don't have flash installed on my system so I can't see
it.

Now that's a method I was not at all familiar with. *I didn't get that from
whit3rd's description, but that method would require a lot more description
for me to have understood that.

It's also more work than is necessary. The bottom construction isn't
really needed, which means the compass isn't needed either. All that
is needed is the line/angle that connects the free end of the
constructed, uniformly divided line to the free end of the line that
you want to divide.

Replace the constructed line with an already divided measuring device,
like say a ruler, and it's a lot simpler.

Old August 21st 11, 04:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 5:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap
home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

That's the same thing my spreadsheet came up with a couple of hours ago,
in about 1/10 and 1/2 seconds. LOL

The question remains ... is it really what the OP is asking for?

He could want the edge of the holes 1/4" from the edge of the 6" board.

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL
I took 6" -1/2" for both borders - 4 1/2" for the holes and ended up
with 1. Divided 1 by the number of spaces, 7, and got .014285" for the
spaces, then I drew it. '~0

Except that it's .140xxx". LOL

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Old August 21st 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Pin wrote the following:
"Dave" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:13:50 -0400, "Pin" wrote:

What is a.b.p.woodworking or a.b.o.woodworking? I look for binaries groups
but see none

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you

If you are using Eternal September, it is a text only newsreader, you
can't get binary newsgroups.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old August 21st 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL

Getting older each day, I simply got damned tired of rebuilding the
wheel every time I needed to _quickly_, and evenly, space slats between
table or chair legs _without fuss_.

.... and without putting the decimal place in the wrong spot.

So I sat down, expressed how I came up with a solution algebraically
one that ALWAYS works, to the decimal point each time I had to do it,
and in less time that it takes to tell, and put it in a spreadsheet.

It's called making technology work for you ... when you get old enough
to experience old timer's disease, you'll understand, you young
whippersnapper!

may be sooner than you think with that B'day within a week

Old August 21st 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Paul"
wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs
that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Well, this *is* basic math: all you need is simple arithmetic (addition,
subtraction, multiplication, and division). What complicates this one is
the
use of a measuring system that's approximately a thousand years old.

You have a total of 6" less two 1/4" borders = 5 1/2" to put the holes in.

Six 3/4" holes take up 6 * 3/4" = 4 1/2" of that 5 1/2", leaving 1" for
spaces
between the holes.

Since there are 6 holes, there will be 5 spaces between them. You have 1"
total to make 5 spaces, so each space will be 1/5".

The distance between the centers of the holes will be 3/4" (the width of
the
hole) plus 1/5" (the spacing between holes) -- this will be difficult to
measure with tapes or rules marked in inches.

I suggest you choose one of the two options below instead.

Option 1
-----------
Increase the size of the borders by 1/32" to 9/32". This will leave you 5
7/16" to put 4 1/2" worth of holes in, leaving 15/16" to divide among five
spaces between holes.

15/16" divided among five spaces = 3/16" per space -- and *that* you *can*
measure easily. This gives you a distance between centers of 3/4" + 3/16"
=
15/16".

So mark the center of the first hole at 9/32" (the width of the border)
plus
3/8" (*half* the width of the hole) = 21/32" in from one end. (3/8 = 6/16
=
12/32; 9/32 + 12/32 = 21/32)

Subsequent holes are centered every 15/16" from the
21/32 + 15/16 = 21/32 + 30/32 = 51/32 = 1 29/32
1 19/32 + 15/16 = 1 19/32 + 30/32 = 1 49/32 = 2 27/32
2 27/32 + 15/16 = 2 27/32 + 30/32 = 2 57/32 = 3 25/32
3 25/32 + 15/16 = 3 25/32 + 30/32 = 3 55/32 = 4 23/32
4 23/32 + 15/16 = 4 23/32 + 30/32 = 4 53/32 = 5 21/32

Option 2
----------

Redo everything in metric. It's SO much easier.

A number of years ago, I was in Toronto on business. Having utterly failed
in
my attempts to find a metric tape measure at home, I asked one of the guys
was working with where I could find a hardware store. He wondered why; I
told
him -- and he asked in honest bewilderment what on earth an American would
want with a metric tape measure. My answer was that I'm a woodworker, and
solving problems such as this is FAR easier with measurements in
millimeters,
rather than fractional inches -- as you're about to see, too.

It's much easier to find metric tapes in American hardware stores now than
it
was in the 1980s. So go buy yourself a tape measure that has dual scales
(inches and millimeters). That will make it easy to see the relationships
between the two systems.

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.
- you want a 6mm border at each end.
- you want to evenly space six 19mm holes.

152mm less two 6mm borders leaves (152mm - 6mm - 6mm) = 140mm.

Six 19mm holes occupy 6 * 19mm = 114mm

You have (140mm - 114mm) = 26mm available for the five spaces between the
six
holes, so there will be (26mm / 5) = 5.2mm between each hole. Ignore the
point-two millimeters; you can't measure that fine anyway.

The holes will be centered every (19mm + 5mm) = 24mm.

The first hole should be a distance of 6mm (the width of the border) plus
9.5mm (half the width of the hole -- round it off to 10mm) = 16mm in from
one
end of the board.

Subsequent holes are centered every 24mm after that:
16mm + 24mm = 40mm
40mm + 24mm = 64mm
64mm + 24mm = 88mm
88mm + 24mm = 112mm
112mm + 24mm = 136mm
And looky the the last hole is (152mm - 136mm) = 16mm in from the end,
same
as the first one.

Isn't that a lot simpler?

I used to work designing and creating artwork for business forms. If they
were to be run through a computer printer they had to be designed and
created with precision. I still have a number of forms design rulers that
have scales in various inch units such as 5/32", 5/64", 1/12", 1/6", 1/3",
1/10", 1/5", all the regular multiples of 1/32" common most rulers in
addition to metric. Spacing in typesetter's points where 72 equal one inch,
with scales in units such as 5 pt, 5 1/2 pt, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, and 16
point multiples.

I find that these scales are valuable in woodworking as one can find a scale
to fit any need, plus they are stainless steel and almost indestructible.