DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hole spacing (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/327490-hole-spacing.html)

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 24th 11 07:56 PM

Hole spacing

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

That's funny! Well, not really funny, but humorous. Well, maybe not
humorous, but clever. Well, maybe not so clever, but cute. Oh look -
Swing's "cute"...

--

-Mike-

Jack Stein August 24th 11 09:32 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

Roger, Woolco, and Out!

Yeah, you guys are out, but now you got me stuck in Sketchup, dividing
up 6", 5 1/2", 5 1/4" and 4 3/4" lines, 2 different ways...

Thanks...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

routerman August 24th 11 10:55 PM

Hole spacing

Exactly? Six 3/4" holes on a 6" stick equally spaced? Want 1/4" of
stock between tangent of hole and end of stock on both ends?
Then locate hole no.1 with its center 5/8" from either end, (that is
the 1/4" space + 1 radian (3/8") of the hole diameter = 5/8)
That leaves {6" - 2(5/8") =} 4.75" of space to split up 6 ways.
Spacing = L/(N-1), where L = length of drilling space & N=6. So 4.75"/
5 = .95"
Centers for holes = .95"
Now How? Use fence on the drill table; let hole no.1 start its center
at 5/8" from the end of stock. Clamp in place against an end stop.
Scribe nothing; hitting a scribe line = .010" error minimum. (Also
true of lasers, sharp pencils, knife lines or chalk.)
Make an accurate .95" spacer, easiest choice = garden variety
Adustable Parallel.
Drill hole no.1, move stop x .95" (step & repeat), butt work against
new stop position, clamp & drill hole no.2.
Iterate for a total of 6 holes. Tangent of last hole will hit 5/8"
from opposite end of stock; all holes equally spaced
http://patwarner.com/drilling_lessons.html

On Aug 20, 10:46*am, "Paul" wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

--
Paul

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 25th 11 12:16 AM

Hole spacing

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:56:22 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

That's funny! Well, not really funny, but humorous. Well, maybe not
humorous, but clever. Well, maybe not so clever, but cute. Oh look -
Swing's "cute"...

clap, clap, clap

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Leon[_7_] August 25th 11 12:32 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 3:32 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/24/2011 2:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.
^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

Roger, Woolco, and Out!

Yeah, you guys are out, but now you got me stuck in Sketchup, dividing
up 6", 5 1/2", 5 1/4" and 4 3/4" lines, 2 different ways...

Thanks...

I aim to confuse! LOL

Take a look at my pdf file in abpw

Bill[_41_] August 25th 11 01:29 AM

Hole spacing

Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:10 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention
it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the
select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide"
from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it
will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and
based on
the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red
dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible
markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you
want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be
55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)

Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece
of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps
you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and
then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in
any number of ways. I think more things have been built working like
this than by designing with cad/cam software.

Bill

It would probably be easier to read the OP, It is simple math , no
computer model needed. I only drew the model to prove the easy math.

Yes, working with fractions and decimal numbers is simple if you already
know how to do it. Personally, I think problems like this are perfect
so someone who wants to hone his or her skills--and I mean by using
pencil and paper. I hope the OP makes up more similar problems to solve
for practice. I am willing to assist if requested.

Bill[_41_] August 25th 11 03:19 AM

Hole spacing

Eric wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention
it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Swingman August 25th 11 03:25 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 25th 11 03:26 AM

Hole spacing

Bill wrote:
Eric wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't
mention it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please
excuse me if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper
model* (you don't need high-power computer software for this
problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

No - it goes like this... Light a fire for a man and you keep him warm for
a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for life...

--

-Mike-

Bill[_41_] August 25th 11 03:52 AM

Hole spacing

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

What's a matta, fish ain't good enough for you? ; )

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 25th 11 03:54 AM

Hole spacing

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:26:42 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Eric wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't
mention it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please
excuse me if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper
model* (you don't need high-power computer software for this
problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

No - it goes like this... Light a fire for a man and you keep him warm for
a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for life...

Ewwwwwww! You're sick, perverted, and twisted.
No wonder we get along.

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix

Puckdropper[_2_] August 25th 11 03:58 AM

Hole spacing

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

No - it goes like this... Light a fire for a man and you keep him
warm for a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for life...

Teach a man woodworking, and he'll have firewood for life. (Especially if
you buy him a bandsaw.)

Puckdropper

Paul[_20_] August 25th 11 04:28 AM

Hole spacing

--
Paul
"Bill" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
[...]

This is the way I've been doing it. Most times it's not a big problem, just
wish to learn a faster way. Really would like to learn sketchup. Played with
that for a little bit the other day and got nowhere, course I didn't bother
to read any tutorials.

Paul

Bill[_41_] August 25th 11 06:30 AM

Hole spacing

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:10 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

I apologize for being vague above. By "pencil and paper" I meant
arithmetic along with whatever else one needs to abstract/extract from a
picture or diagram. Most of the time, of course, one has to draw his or
her own diagram--and that may be the hardest part. I believe that
learning to work problems like the one featured in this thread is
valuable and will help take one's woodworking to another level.
Practicing is not a waste of time at all. Even if this problem never
shows up again, I promise that another one, having the same flavor, is
just around the corner!

Jack Stein August 25th 11 03:06 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 10:19 PM, Bill wrote:

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

But if I cut the fish into 6 equal pieces, minus a few inches for the
tail...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein August 25th 11 03:09 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 7:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Roger, Woolco, and Out!

Yeah, you guys are out, but now you got me stuck in Sketchup, dividing
up 6", 5 1/2", 5 1/4" and 4 3/4" lines, 2 different ways...

Thanks...

I aim to confuse! LOL

Take a look at my pdf file in abpw

I've been thinking about going with a pay service to get binaries, but
so far, just thinking about it...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Han August 25th 11 04:55 PM

Hole spacing

Jack Stein wrote in :

I've been thinking about going with a pay service to get binaries, but
so far, just thinking about it...

Looks like you're doing just fine without the binaries, but your curiosity
has been tweaked.

I'd suggest you pay Astraweb $10 for 25 GB of downloads, like I did in
2008. I'm still owed 24 GB of downloads, but then, I hardly ever look at
anything other than abpw.

Bonus is the great retention and reliability of astraweb.

--
Best regards
Han

Josepi[_19_] August 25th 11 06:50 PM

Hole spacing

Give a man a match and he will keep himself warm for the day. Light a man on
fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!

1--------------

2----------

3------------

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 26th 11 01:00 PM

Hole spacing

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:07:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/25/2011 8:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:20:31 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Well you don't always get what you want for free.

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

Han August 26th 11 01:19 PM

Hole spacing

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

Maybe this reasoning will help. My pictures are my pictures. If I put
them up on a website I have to keep track on which ones are where, and of
which part of the site is going to be public, for friends, or just my self.
When I want to share with everyone, it is easier to attach a picture to a
post than upload to a website and check the permissions.

--
Best regards
Han

Leon[_7_] August 26th 11 01:35 PM

Hole spacing

wrote:

If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Well you don't always get what you want for free.

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix

I can very quickly access pictures at ABPW with out having to open
another program.

Leon[_7_] August 26th 11 03:20 PM

Hole spacing

wrote:

If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Well you don't always get what you want for free.

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix

Oh, and another reason for using APBW, the OP posted the results there.

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 26th 11 03:25 PM

Hole spacing

On 26 Aug 2011 12:19:46 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

Maybe this reasoning will help. My pictures are my pictures. If I put
them up on a website I have to keep track on which ones are where, and of
which part of the site is going to be public, for friends, or just my self.
When I want to share with everyone, it is easier to attach a picture to a
post than upload to a website and check the permissions.

What does the latter cost in time? Maybe five minutes for two dozen
pics?

Add in the limitations imposed by posting to a binary group, and extra
time spent posting to the picture host because some people invariably
send email to you saying that they don't subscribe/can't get binaries,
and I would think that the balance would be to the picture host in the
end. YMMV

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 26th 11 03:51 PM

Hole spacing

wrote:

If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Well you don't always get what you want for free.

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

I can very quickly access pictures at ABPW with out having to open
another program.

OK, once you're set up and subscribed, it can be a few seconds quicker
than opening a browser window.

ABPW has a lot of pukey ducks and 57 kudos for each. sigh
Clicking on a link to a picture host site takes about half a second.

Some pukey ducks were socially redeeming, IMHO. I saved someone's.
http://goo.gl/PvwVu Oh, that took me about a minute to upload to my
own site, including opening an FTP prog and new browser window. I
didn't include search time for that particular pic. ;)

Han August 26th 11 04:11 PM

Hole spacing

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Add in the limitations imposed by posting to a binary group, and extra
time spent posting to the picture host because some people invariably
send email to you saying that they don't subscribe/can't get binaries,
and I would think that the balance would be to the picture host in the
end. YMMV

Yes, it may be 6 of 1 vs half a doz of the other. So, it'll depend on my
whims and how important I think it is for you to see the pics. Did you get
to see the entertainment ctr I finished, with the woven strips of maple and
walnut as the panels of the doors? Go see abpw in a few minutes then
grin.

--
Best regards
Han

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 26th 11 04:47 PM

Hole spacing

On 26 Aug 2011 15:11:42 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Add in the limitations imposed by posting to a binary group, and extra
time spent posting to the picture host because some people invariably
send email to you saying that they don't subscribe/can't get binaries,
and I would think that the balance would be to the picture host in the
end. YMMV

Yes, it may be 6 of 1 vs half a doz of the other. So, it'll depend on my
whims and how important I think it is for you to see the pics. Did you get
to see the entertainment ctr I finished, with the woven strips of maple and
walnut as the panels of the doors? Go see abpw in a few minutes then
grin.

Yes, I did, and I complimented you on it. I liked it very much.

But it wasn't because they were on ABPW. You had posted them on
Flickr. Pfffffffffffft!
evil grinne

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 26th 11 04:48 PM

Hole spacing

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:20:27 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Oh, and another reason for using APBW, the OP posted the results there.

Well, there's that. silly grin

Bill[_41_] August 26th 11 08:59 PM

Hole spacing

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

I happend to catch part of an interesting show on PBS last night which
provided a lot of evidence to support how *fractals* are related to
nature. If you think about it, the common tree has some fractal-like
aspects for instance. That may just be the tip of the iceberg (another
fractal?)

Of course coding fractals is probably remarkably-easy using recursion,
as long as you can deal with overflow of the run-time stack! : )
It would be analogous to one of the fastest sorting methods, MergeSort,
which takes about 3 lines of code (in some sense).

Maybe you saw the same show?

So the statement, "Teach me to code fractal geometry and ..." --may
merit some surprisingly-strong conclusions. Of course, you probably
already realized this.

In the meantime, I still have my fish. BTW, as was written by one of my
favorite authors of my teens and twenties, Patrick McManus, "Never sniff
a gift fish!". Here is an excerpt taken from his easy to locate website:

"When I was a boy, catching worms was more of a challenge than catching
fish. Some of our worms were bigger than most of our fish. We bragged
about big worms we had dug. We lied about bigger worms we hadn't dug. We
were worm snobs. Artificial flies were for sissies."
~ Patrick F. McManus in The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

He's the only author who has been successful in making me laugh out
loud, over and over. In junior high school a gal sitting next to me
asked, "Is it really THAT funny", to which I proudly replied, "YES!". : )

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 27th 11 06:58 AM

Hole spacing

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:59:06 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

You haven't read _The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove_ (or any book by
Christopher Moore) yet, have you?

Exceedingly highly recommended.

_Coyote Blue and _Island of the Sequined Love Nun_ are both excellent,
too. Cargo Cults, anyone?

Want another laugh? This hardcover book is on sale for only
$21,963.61
+ $3.99shipping
Seller: gb_book
Seller Rating:96% positive over the past 12 months. (1,686 total
ratings)
In Stock. Ships from CA, United States. Expedited shipping available.
Domestic shipping rates and return policy.
New, in perfect condition (It damned well better be for that price!)
_Get Your House Right_

Bill[_41_] August 27th 11 08:04 AM

Hole spacing

wrote:

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Gee, "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" sounds like it might be a bit
"racy" for this forum? I haven't read it, but reading a little about
it sort of reminds me of "Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy". Does it have
pictures? I tend to lean towards non-fiction. I still have your
"Influence:.." book on my Amazon wishlist. I forced myself through
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" 28 years ago too--just to see what it
was about. I can't say I really "got it".

An old author I have to recommend is Paul N. Hasluck. We're talking
vintage 190X. I read most of his book on "woodworking" (largely rustic)
and just started his book on woodcarving this week. These are 700-800
page books (for less than $15) and the words are layed out as
thoughtfully as can be. After reading only up to the 2nd page of
woodcarving, I sighed as to what a treat it was! It's that good. It's
still good up to page 20 and I think it would be interesting even to
someone with no plans to carve any wood at all. It's already started to
help train my eye (to look critically) when I look at sculpture. I
caught myself doing it by accident. And beautiful pictures.. He was a
genius tradesman/scholar of his time and I can't see how anyone alive
now can compete with him on his turf. Enter his name at Amazon.com to
see if he's written on something of interest (glass working, metal
working, ...).

Exceedingly highly recommended.

_Coyote Blue and _Island of the Sequined Love Nun_ are both excellent,
too. Cargo Cults, anyone?

Sequined Love Nun... Woo Hoo!!! That one Must have pictures???

Want another laugh? This hardcover book is on sale for only
$21,963.61

Wow, I missed the comma the first and 2nd time I read that!

Jack Stein August 27th 11 02:36 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/25/2011 11:55 AM, Han wrote:
Jack wrote in :

I've been thinking about going with a pay service to get binaries, but
so far, just thinking about it...

Looks like you're doing just fine without the binaries, but your curiosity
has been tweaked.

I'd suggest you pay Astraweb $10 for 25 GB of downloads, like I did in
2008. I'm still owed 24 GB of downloads, but then, I hardly ever look at
anything other than abpw.

Bonus is the great retention and reliability of astraweb.

Thanks Han, that's the one I have been "considering" for a good while now.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein August 27th 11 02:46 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/25/2011 7:32 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I use eternal-september, it is free, but no binary groups, and I can
honestly say I haven't missed them. Sure i miss some stuff, but enough
people post links to websites that I do not feel I am missing that much.

I use eternal-september as well, and it does provide a couple of binary
sites. The ONLY reason I want binaries is for
Alt.Binaries.Photo.Originals. Eternal-september carries this group BUT
it only processes a few of the pictures. Not sure why all pictures are
not sent but it *might* have something to do with size. At any rate,
that is the sight I want, and it has always been active, and remains so
even after the dickheads at Comcast and Verison dropped their service.

ABPW was never active, and certainly after all the free access was
dropped, it is not likely any better. ABPOriginals is an exception and
is a nice group for those that like photography.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein August 27th 11 03:07 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/25/2011 9:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Only because you have to pay to access it, otherwise it is no more a
PITA than any other group. If you ask me, it's a PITA to not be able to
attach pictures to this group.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Picture hosting sites are nothing like a newsgroup. If you think Plaxo
or Flickr etc are the same as participating in something like ABPO your
officially out to lunch.

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

--
Jack
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a
fruit salad.
http://jbstein.com

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 27th 11 04:06 PM

Hole spacing

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 10:07:58 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote:

On 8/25/2011 9:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Only because you have to pay to access it, otherwise it is no more a
PITA than any other group. If you ask me, it's a PITA to not be able to
attach pictures to this group.

With nearly everyone on DSL or better now, I often think that, too.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Picture hosting sites are nothing like a newsgroup. If you think Plaxo
or Flickr etc are the same as participating in something like ABPO your
officially out to lunch.

No, dialog is here, pics are there. ABPW is for ego strokers and
strokees. ;)

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;

Elmo[_7_] August 27th 11 04:06 PM

Hole spacing

On 28/08/2011 12:07 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/25/2011 9:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Only because you have to pay to access it, otherwise it is no more a
PITA than any other group. If you ask me, it's a PITA to not be able to
attach pictures to this group.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Picture hosting sites are nothing like a newsgroup.

That's not so. Flickr for instance is very like a newsgroup with a lot
of social chat along with image hosting. You could easily move a group
like this onto Flickr.

If you think Plaxo
or Flickr etc are the same as participating in something like ABPO your
officially out to lunch.

Enjoy your lunch. (And it's you're, not your.)

Michael Kenefick August 27th 11 06:48 PM

Hole spacing

No only 60% of those using the Internet have a DSL or high speed
connection. The other 40% are still using dial up.

(snip)
With nearly everyone on DSL or better now, I often think that, too.

snip

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 27th 11 07:37 PM

Hole spacing

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:48:03 -0400, Michael Kenefick
wrote:

I wrote:
With nearly everyone on DSL or better now, I often think that, too.

No only 60% of those using the Internet have a DSL or high speed
connection. The other 40% are still using dial up.

I wonder if the people keeping those stats consider the new cell phone
internet connections to be dialup. That might explain the high number.

But I think those here hae a higher percentage of fast connections.

Will everyone on dialup please raise your hands for us? Danke.

m II August 28th 11 02:43 AM

Hole spacing

Many on dial-up reading Usenet can't see bottom posting if no length control
is done. Length clipping readers to prevent over length posts prevent bottom
posting from being read in these cases.

I doubt you will get any answers and cannot consider your results accurate.

-------------------

kansascats August 28th 11 04:05 AM

Hole spacing

if you are just trying to "do it", then here is a very easy way...

mark your left starting edge and right starting edge, then lay a ruler
diagonal from the left edge to the right edge in such a way that the
whole numbers (1,2,3.. ) line up perfectly and divisible by whatever
spacing you want.

for example -- say you have a board that is 9.939 (the point being, it
does not matter) and you want to come in .5" from the left and .5"
from the right -- mark those left and right margins on the board. now
say you want to divide that space by 5. so you have 9.939 -1 or
8.939 of material to divide. take a ruler and place the "0" on the
left margin that you marked and just let the right side of the ruler
come down diagonally to align the 10" measurement on the ruler to the
right side margin. the ruler will now be at some angle -- does not
matter what. simple mark the 2", 4", 6", and 8" markings of the ruler
onto the material. you have just equally spaced the material between
your left and right margin into 5 equal parts. If you wanted to make
it 6 equal parts then bring the 12" ruler marking down to the right
margin line. now mark the material at 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 -- giving
you 6 equal parts. hopefully you get the idea. you can use
whatever ruler markings you want -- 1,2,3,4 or 2,4,6,8, etc or 1.5,
3, 4.5, 6, etc so long as you use the same increment and the ruler is
on some (any) diagonal (must be diagonal -- straight across does not
work). now center up a hole on those lines and they will be
perfectly aligned. the key with circles is to work off of the center
points whenever possible.

good luck -- credit for this goes to some article i've read in the
last few months -- dont recall where -- absolutely brilliant though.