DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hole spacing (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/327490-hole-spacing.html)

Pin[_2_] August 21st 11 03:13 PM

Hole spacing

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

What is a.b.p.woodworking or a.b.o.woodworking? I look for binaries groups
but see none

Pin

Dave[_52_] August 21st 11 03:19 PM

Hole spacing

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:13:50 -0400, "Pin" wrote:

What is a.b.p.woodworking or a.b.o.woodworking? I look for binaries groups
but see none

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

RicodJour[_2_] August 21st 11 03:34 PM

Hole spacing

On Aug 21, 8:27*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

I'd rather have the pint.

TWayne August 21st 11 03:39 PM

Hole spacing

In ,
Paul typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

HTH,

Twayne`

RicodJour[_2_] August 21st 11 03:39 PM

Hole spacing

On Aug 21, 8:02*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
whit3rd wrote in
..
com:

First, locate hole #1 and #6 (mark the centers on the work). *Then
connect those centers with a line.

Draw a second line through #1, and mark off six equal spacings on
that second line (any spacing that comes out evenly on your ruler
will do). *Adjust a bevel so that one arm is on the secondary
line, and the other arm connects #6 secondary to #6-actual.
Then with that bevel set, trace from the other marks on the
secondary line to the original line.

I hope the OP could follow that - cause I sure couldn't...

It's the compass-and-straightedge method to evenly divide a line
segment: make a second line that is measured off into N equal
bits, connect the Nth mark on second line to the end of the primary
line segment to make a triangle, then (using a bevel in this case
to replicate the angle) by simlar triangles, construct the equally
spaced points on the original line segment. * It doesn't really need
any ruler at all (dividers can make equal-size divisions).

An interesting method. *Here's the first hit for a webpage describing
the method:http://www.mathopenref.com/constdividesegment.html

Sometimes geometry is much easier than algebra.

I apologize in advance if the flash app at the top is something
undesired. *I don't have flash installed on my system so I can't see
it.

Now that's a method I was not at all familiar with. *I didn't get that from
whit3rd's description, but that method would require a lot more description
for me to have understood that.

It's also more work than is necessary. The bottom construction isn't
really needed, which means the compass isn't needed either. All that
is needed is the line/angle that connects the free end of the
constructed, uniformly divided line to the free end of the line that
you want to divide.

Replace the constructed line with an already divided measuring device,
like say a ruler, and it's a lot simpler. ;)

Swingman August 21st 11 03:43 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 5:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area.
Let's say I have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end
for a border and I want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you
figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap
home
design programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those
programs that knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Start first hole center 29/32" from the end. Center each of the
remaining hole 25/32" from the first hole center.

See pdf in a.b.p.wppdwprking hole spacing.

That's the same thing my spreadsheet came up with a couple of hours ago,
in about 1/10 and 1/2 seconds. LOL

The question remains ... is it really what the OP is asking for?

He could want the edge of the holes 1/4" from the edge of the 6" board.

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL
I took 6" -1/2" for both borders - 4 1/2" for the holes and ended up
with 1. Divided 1 by the number of spaces, 7, and got .014285" for the
spaces, then I drew it. '~0

Except that it's .140xxx". LOL

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

willshak August 21st 11 03:54 PM

Hole spacing

Pin wrote the following:
"Dave" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:13:50 -0400, "Pin" wrote:

What is a.b.p.woodworking or a.b.o.woodworking? I look for binaries groups
but see none

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you

If you are using Eternal September, it is a text only newsreader, you
can't get binary newsgroups.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Swingman August 21st 11 04:17 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL

Getting older each day, I simply got damned tired of rebuilding the
wheel every time I needed to _quickly_, and evenly, space slats between
table or chair legs _without fuss_.

.... and without putting the decimal place in the wrong spot. :)

So I sat down, expressed how I came up with a solution algebraically
one that ALWAYS works, to the decimal point each time I had to do it,
and in less time that it takes to tell, and put it in a spreadsheet.

It's called making technology work for you ... when you get old enough
to experience old timer's disease, you'll understand, you young
whippersnapper!

may be sooner than you think with that B'day within a week :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

EXT August 21st 11 05:18 PM

Hole spacing

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Paul"
wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs
that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Well, this *is* basic math: all you need is simple arithmetic (addition,
subtraction, multiplication, and division). What complicates this one is
the
use of a measuring system that's approximately a thousand years old.

You have a total of 6" less two 1/4" borders = 5 1/2" to put the holes in.

Six 3/4" holes take up 6 * 3/4" = 4 1/2" of that 5 1/2", leaving 1" for
spaces
between the holes.

Since there are 6 holes, there will be 5 spaces between them. You have 1"
total to make 5 spaces, so each space will be 1/5".

The distance between the centers of the holes will be 3/4" (the width of
the
hole) plus 1/5" (the spacing between holes) -- this will be difficult to
measure with tapes or rules marked in inches.

I suggest you choose one of the two options below instead.

Option 1
-----------
Increase the size of the borders by 1/32" to 9/32". This will leave you 5
7/16" to put 4 1/2" worth of holes in, leaving 15/16" to divide among five
spaces between holes.

15/16" divided among five spaces = 3/16" per space -- and *that* you *can*
measure easily. This gives you a distance between centers of 3/4" + 3/16"
=
15/16".

So mark the center of the first hole at 9/32" (the width of the border)
plus
3/8" (*half* the width of the hole) = 21/32" in from one end. (3/8 = 6/16
=
12/32; 9/32 + 12/32 = 21/32)

Subsequent holes are centered every 15/16" from the
21/32 + 15/16 = 21/32 + 30/32 = 51/32 = 1 29/32
1 19/32 + 15/16 = 1 19/32 + 30/32 = 1 49/32 = 2 27/32
2 27/32 + 15/16 = 2 27/32 + 30/32 = 2 57/32 = 3 25/32
3 25/32 + 15/16 = 3 25/32 + 30/32 = 3 55/32 = 4 23/32
4 23/32 + 15/16 = 4 23/32 + 30/32 = 4 53/32 = 5 21/32

Option 2
----------

Redo everything in metric. It's SO much easier.

A number of years ago, I was in Toronto on business. Having utterly failed
in
my attempts to find a metric tape measure at home, I asked one of the guys
was working with where I could find a hardware store. He wondered why; I
told
him -- and he asked in honest bewilderment what on earth an American would
want with a metric tape measure. My answer was that I'm a woodworker, and
solving problems such as this is FAR easier with measurements in
millimeters,
rather than fractional inches -- as you're about to see, too.

It's much easier to find metric tapes in American hardware stores now than
it
was in the 1980s. So go buy yourself a tape measure that has dual scales
(inches and millimeters). That will make it easy to see the relationships
between the two systems.

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.
- you want a 6mm border at each end.
- you want to evenly space six 19mm holes.

152mm less two 6mm borders leaves (152mm - 6mm - 6mm) = 140mm.

Six 19mm holes occupy 6 * 19mm = 114mm

You have (140mm - 114mm) = 26mm available for the five spaces between the
six
holes, so there will be (26mm / 5) = 5.2mm between each hole. Ignore the
point-two millimeters; you can't measure that fine anyway.

The holes will be centered every (19mm + 5mm) = 24mm.

The first hole should be a distance of 6mm (the width of the border) plus
9.5mm (half the width of the hole -- round it off to 10mm) = 16mm in from
one
end of the board.

Subsequent holes are centered every 24mm after that:
16mm + 24mm = 40mm
40mm + 24mm = 64mm
64mm + 24mm = 88mm
88mm + 24mm = 112mm
112mm + 24mm = 136mm
And looky the the last hole is (152mm - 136mm) = 16mm in from the end,
same
as the first one.

Isn't that a lot simpler?

I used to work designing and creating artwork for business forms. If they
were to be run through a computer printer they had to be designed and
created with precision. I still have a number of forms design rulers that
have scales in various inch units such as 5/32", 5/64", 1/12", 1/6", 1/3",
1/10", 1/5", all the regular multiples of 1/32" common most rulers in
addition to metric. Spacing in typesetter's points where 72 equal one inch,
with scales in units such as 5 pt, 5 1/2 pt, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, and 16
point multiples.

I find that these scales are valuable in woodworking as one can find a scale
to fit any need, plus they are stainless steel and almost indestructible.

Hoosierpopi August 21st 11 05:44 PM

Hole spacing

On Aug 20, 8:02*pm, whit3rd wrote:
It's the compass-and-straightedge method

I recall reading somewhere that you could accomplish this task w/o the
math. It involved drawing a line diagonally through the rectangular
area intended to receive the holes. It was explaining, as I recall,
how to evenly space shelf support pin holes on the interior sides of a
bookshelf.

As I recall. you measured the resulting line and divided it in half at
the middle, then repeated this with the resulting segments on either
side (marking the "center points" as you went along. Then, taking a
square to the edge of the board and through each point along the
diagonal line, made a hash mark at the center of the board. Each of
these would, then be the center of your evenly-spaced holes.

Anyone know of something like this (recalling it from distant memory).

[email protected] August 21st 11 05:54 PM

Hole spacing

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:27:36 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then remeasure. You will find that:
- your block is 152mm long.

- you want a 6mm border at each end.

No he doesn't, he wants 1/4" and 6mm doesn't equal that. Close but
no cigar, so much for metric unless you can measure 6.35mm on that
tape :)

Do you *really* think that 0.35 millimeters (less than 14
thousandths of an inch) is going to be noticeable? Or are you just
trying to be argumentative?

Had enough of that from SWMBO this past week, don't need it from you
too.

Just pointing out that metric isn't the be-all and end-all :)

No, but it sure makes the calculations a LOT easier. Reduces the risk
of error, too, because you're always adding either integers or
decimals -- not mixed fractions.

Sure. Tell that to the group that engineered the Hubble Space Telescope
where confusion over metric/proper measurements resulting in the launch of
an almost worthless instrument.

Huh? What did MKS/FPS have to do with Hubble's mirror shape?

And consider these two standards:

"Meter = 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator
measured along the Prime Meridian." (Alternative definition: "1,650,763.73
wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum
of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.")

vs

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Strawman. An inch is defined as 2.54cm.

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

The one the tools use. The problem is that we now have both. I can work with
either but where both is required is where the mistakes are made.

RicodJour[_2_] August 21st 11 06:06 PM

Hole spacing

On Aug 21, 12:54*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:27:36 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Sure. Tell that to the group that engineered the Hubble Space Telescope
where confusion over metric/proper measurements resulting in the launch of
an almost worthless instrument.

Huh? *What did MKS/FPS have to do with Hubble's mirror shape?

It doesn't. That's one of them there scientific old wives' tales, as
related by our resident old wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_...of_the_problem

[email protected] August 21st 11 06:12 PM

Hole spacing

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:44:08 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

On Aug 20, 8:02*pm, whit3rd wrote:
It's the compass-and-straightedge method

I recall reading somewhere that you could accomplish this task w/o the
math. It involved drawing a line diagonally through the rectangular
area intended to receive the holes. It was explaining, as I recall,
how to evenly space shelf support pin holes on the interior sides of a
bookshelf.

As I recall. you measured the resulting line and divided it in half at
the middle, then repeated this with the resulting segments on either
side (marking the "center points" as you went along. Then, taking a
square to the edge of the board and through each point along the
diagonal line, made a hash mark at the center of the board. Each of
these would, then be the center of your evenly-spaced holes.

Anyone know of something like this (recalling it from distant memory).

That works for certain number of holes (2^n-1) holes but not for an arbitrary
number of holes. The OP wants six holes.

This problem is essentially the "trisecting the angle" geometry problem, which
has no solution (bisection is possible, but an arbitrary number is not).

Doug Miller[_2_] August 21st 11 10:06 PM

Hole spacing

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

The problem there is clearly not due to the use of the metric system, but to
trying to mix the two.

And consider these two standards:

"Meter = 1/10,000,000 of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator
measured along the Prime Meridian." (Alternative definition: "1,650,763.73
wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum
of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.")

vs

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Now I ask you, which is more practical for your average woodworker?

Metric.

Try it.

Josepi[_19_] August 22nd 11 12:24 AM

Hole spacing

Some people just cant do the math and since that is what this OP was
about... Doug rules supreme.

---------------
"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...
Totally different context. When you're talking about fitting a shaft into a
hole, tolerances of 0.005" or less can be critical. When you're talking
about
a border around something, the difference between 1/4" and 6mm is unlikely
be important to anyone, or indeed even noticeable.

Leon[_7_] August 22nd 11 01:28 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/20/2011 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/20/2011 4:42 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

FARK! Maybe I do need a spread sheet.

Leon[_7_] August 22nd 11 01:37 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/21/2011 10:17 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Spread sheet! I dont need no stinking Spread sheet. LOL

Getting older each day, I simply got damned tired of rebuilding the
wheel every time I needed to _quickly_, and evenly, space slats between
table or chair legs _without fuss_.

... and without putting the decimal place in the wrong spot. :)

So I sat down, expressed how I came up with a solution algebraically
one that ALWAYS works, to the decimal point each time I had to do it,
and in less time that it takes to tell, and put it in a spreadsheet.

It's called making technology work for you ... when you get old enough
to experience old timer's disease, you'll understand, you young
whippersnapper!

may be sooner than you think with that B'day within a week :)

ROTFLA,,,, It bites me in the ass every time! We have been cleaning
dads house out for the last 4 days, 37 years of collecting.

Speaking of Bdays, my neighbor the computer guy's wife used to live in
the same neighborhood as my dad, she lived in a 6 house cu-de-sak that
was the end all to Christmas decorating. Any way her Bday is 8/24.

willshak August 22nd 11 03:32 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Where do we send the BD cards?

Leon[_7_] August 22nd 11 04:59 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/21/2011 6:40 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Each of us would prefer money! ;~) Four of us have birthdays
beginning and ending 8/22 and 8/27.

Larry W August 22nd 11 11:03 PM

Hole spacing

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned (unless I missed it) the old
trick of using a ruler, selecting a number of arbitrary evenly spaced
markings corresponding to the number of holes needed, then angling
the ruler diagonally across the workpiece (or on a bench where the
workpiece is laying, if necessary) until lines drawn perpendicular to a line
parallel to the holes match up with the selected ruler marks. No
math or arithmetic necessary. Unfortunately easier shown than explained,
but some older woodworking books have pictures of the technique.

m II August 23rd 11 01:04 AM

Hole spacing

Let;s add the complexity of working in a foreign language or conversion to
another measurement system to the guy that already has trouble with math!

More practical? A calculator.

Wot and idiot!

----------------

Phil Kangas[_4_] August 23rd 11 01:28 AM

Hole spacing

"Larry W"
wrote in message
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned
(unless I missed it) the old
trick of using a ruler, selecting a number of
arbitrary evenly spaced
markings corresponding to the number of holes
needed, then angling
the ruler diagonally across the workpiece (or on
a bench where the
workpiece is laying, if necessary) until lines
drawn perpendicular to a line
parallel to the holes match up with the selected
ruler marks. No
math or arithmetic necessary. Unfortunately
easier shown than explained,
but some older woodworking books have pictures
of the technique.

This method has been mentioned. The problem is
that even though
the hole centers are spaced equally the spaces
between the holes differs.
i.e. The space between the left border and the
first hole as well as
the space between the last hole and the right
border are twice the
space between the other holes. It's up to the OP
to decide if that is
acceptable.
phil k.

Gerald Ross[_3_] August 23rd 11 04:11 AM

Hole spacing

Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Growing up on the farm we only had a two-holer, but my grand-dad had a
three-holer with a star cutout in the door. No idea how they figured
out how to space the holes.

--
Gerald Ross

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose
your nursing home.

Swingman August 23rd 11 02:02 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/22/2011 10:11 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Paul wrote:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and I'm trying to
figure
out how to space holes evenly along a center line in an area. Let's say I
have a rectulanglar block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border
and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure that? My
daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of those cheap home design
programs. That would be ideal for me. Anyone use one of those programs
that
knows if they can be used for that? Thanks.

Growing up on the farm we only had a two-holer, but my grand-dad had a
three-holer with a star cutout in the door. No idea how they figured out
how to space the holes.

That was a damn sight easier to figure out ... just mark the profile of
the biggest ass on a board, add two more just like it using the Sears
catalog as a spacer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 23rd 11 07:58 PM

Hole spacing

Paul wrote:
[...]

Lengthwise for spacing, widthwise for use, right?

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

Bill[_41_] August 23rd 11 11:03 PM

Hole spacing

Paul wrote:
[...]

Gosh, a small-ass could fall through!!! ewwwwww!

Jack Stein August 24th 11 12:08 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the
select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide"
from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it
will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and based on
the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red
dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible
markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you
want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be
55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)

The bonus is, since you are in a cad program, you can draw up whatever
you want the holes for, and see what it will look like:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Swingman August 24th 11 01:58 AM

Hole spacing

On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

Actually, that's where my two photographs came from in the links, and
I'm sure Leon's pdf file on abpw ... :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Leon[_7_] August 24th 11 05:26 AM

Hole spacing

[...]

Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".

Bill[_41_] August 24th 11 07:10 AM

Hole spacing

Leon wrote:
[...]

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece
of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps
you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and
then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in
any number of ways. I think more things have been built working like
this than by designing with cad/cam software.

Bill

Leon[_7_] August 24th 11 01:36 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 1:10 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

It would probably be easier to read the OP, It is simple math , no
computer model needed. I only drew the model to prove the easy math.

Jack Stein August 24th 11 03:32 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 12:26 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Doesn't matter what size the holes are if you want 6 equally spaced
holes in 6 inch length, then the center marks will be the same
regardless of hole size, long as the size fits.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jack Stein August 24th 11 04:23 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:

On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

Cut out a 6" piece
of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps
you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and
then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in
any number of ways.

This would be inaccurate or laborious or, in my case, both.
Particularly in this example where the spacing between the holes is
small, you better cut out your circles accurately.

I think more things have been built working like this than by designing with cad/cam software.

The reason cad software was invented was to make doing this stuff both
simple, accurate and visually useful. My "cad" software of choice is
Sketchup, and it of course has a simple tool for the job built in, as I
described.

If you have a PC and do woodwork, Sketchup is free and does have a tool
for this, just as Twayne up there suggested.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Eric[_15_] August 24th 11 04:40 PM

Hole spacing

"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

====================

I would definitely use CAD software (Autosketch) for many layout required
jobs in woodworking but not for this simple example / problem.
Just do it on your calculator and then lay a decent 1/10" scaled ruler down
and mark the hole centers. Or convert as closely as possible to fractional
inches or fudge the borders to make it work out.

Note there are many woodworking calculators that can work in inches and
fractions for you, too.

--

Eric

Leon[_7_] August 24th 11 04:56 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 9:32 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

It does matter, he wants a 1/4" border in addition to the even spacing
and he wants the holes to be 3/4" as opposed to what you stated,

"each hole will be 55/64's or 7/8ths"

And FWIW the holes will have 5/32" between each and the 1/4" border.

Your method equally spaces the holes however it does not provide equal
spacing before and after the first and last hole.

Swingman August 24th 11 06:58 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 10:56 AM, Leon wrote:

It does matter, he wants a 1/4" border in addition to the even spacing
and he wants the holes to be 3/4" as opposed to what you stated,

"each hole will be 55/64's or 7/8ths"

And FWIW the holes will have 5/32" between each and the 1/4" border.

Your method equally spaces the holes however it does not provide equal
spacing before and after the first and last hole.

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear. It's why I provided two
solutions in the form of those two drawings.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Swingman August 24th 11 07:01 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Leon[_7_] August 24th 11 07:21 PM

Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 1:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

I still think the OP made that absolutely clear.

^
DON"T

**** ... I give up!

Roger, Woolco, and Out!