Old August 26th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Hole spacing

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

Maybe this reasoning will help. My pictures are my pictures. If I put
them up on a website I have to keep track on which ones are where, and of
which part of the site is going to be public, for friends, or just my self.
When I want to share with everyone, it is easier to attach a picture to a
post than upload to a website and check the permissions.

--
Best regards
Han

Old August 26th 11, 02:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/26/2011 7:00 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:07:51 -0500, [email protected]
wrote:

On 8/25/2011 8:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:20:31 -0500, [email protected]
wrote:

If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Well you don't always get what you want for free.

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix

I can very quickly access pictures at ABPW with out having to open
another program.
Old August 26th 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Well you don't always get what you want for free.

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix

Oh, and another reason for using APBW, the OP posted the results there.
Old August 26th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Aug 2011 12:19:46 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

Maybe this reasoning will help. My pictures are my pictures. If I put
them up on a website I have to keep track on which ones are where, and of
which part of the site is going to be public, for friends, or just my self.
When I want to share with everyone, it is easier to attach a picture to a
post than upload to a website and check the permissions.

What does the latter cost in time? Maybe five minutes for two dozen
pics?

Add in the limitations imposed by posting to a binary group, and extra
time spent posting to the picture host because some people invariably
send email to you saying that they don't subscribe/can't get binaries,
and I would think that the balance would be to the picture host in the
end. YMMV

Old August 26th 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.

I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.

Well you don't always get what you want for free.

What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

I can very quickly access pictures at ABPW with out having to open
another program.

OK, once you're set up and subscribed, it can be a few seconds quicker
than opening a browser window.

ABPW has a lot of pukey ducks and 57 kudos for each. sigh
Clicking on a link to a picture host site takes about half a second.

Some pukey ducks were socially redeeming, IMHO. I saved someone's.
http://goo.gl/PvwVu Oh, that took me about a minute to upload to my
own site, including opening an FTP prog and new browser window. I
didn't include search time for that particular pic.

Old August 26th 11, 05:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Add in the limitations imposed by posting to a binary group, and extra
time spent posting to the picture host because some people invariably
send email to you saying that they don't subscribe/can't get binaries,
and I would think that the balance would be to the picture host in the
end. YMMV

Yes, it may be 6 of 1 vs half a doz of the other. So, it'll depend on my
whims and how important I think it is for you to see the pics. Did you get
to see the entertainment ctr I finished, with the woven strips of maple and
walnut as the panels of the doors? Go see abpw in a few minutes then
grin.

--
Best regards
Han
Old August 26th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Aug 2011 15:11:42 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Add in the limitations imposed by posting to a binary group, and extra
time spent posting to the picture host because some people invariably
send email to you saying that they don't subscribe/can't get binaries,
and I would think that the balance would be to the picture host in the
end. YMMV

Yes, it may be 6 of 1 vs half a doz of the other. So, it'll depend on my
whims and how important I think it is for you to see the pics. Did you get
to see the entertainment ctr I finished, with the woven strips of maple and
walnut as the panels of the doors? Go see abpw in a few minutes then
grin.

Yes, I did, and I complimented you on it. I liked it very much.

But it wasn't because they were on ABPW. You had posted them on
Flickr. Pfffffffffffft!
evil grinne

Old August 26th 11, 05:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:20:27 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

Oh, and another reason for using APBW, the OP posted the results there.

Well, there's that. silly grin

Old August 26th 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

I happend to catch part of an interesting show on PBS last night which
provided a lot of evidence to support how *fractals* are related to
nature. If you think about it, the common tree has some fractal-like
aspects for instance. That may just be the tip of the iceberg (another
fractal?)

Of course coding fractals is probably remarkably-easy using recursion,
as long as you can deal with overflow of the run-time stack! : )
It would be analogous to one of the fastest sorting methods, MergeSort,
which takes about 3 lines of code (in some sense).

Maybe you saw the same show?

So the statement, "Teach me to code fractal geometry and ..." --may
merit some surprisingly-strong conclusions. Of course, you probably
already realized this.

In the meantime, I still have my fish. BTW, as was written by one of my
favorite authors of my teens and twenties, Patrick McManus, "Never sniff
a gift fish!". Here is an excerpt taken from his easy to locate website:

"When I was a boy, catching worms was more of a challenge than catching
fish. Some of our worms were bigger than most of our fish. We bragged
about big worms we had dug. We lied about bigger worms we hadn't dug. We
were worm snobs. Artificial flies were for sissies."
~ Patrick F. McManus in The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

He's the only author who has been successful in making me laugh out
loud, over and over. In junior high school a gal sitting next to me
asked, "Is it really THAT funny", to which I proudly replied, "YES!". : )

Old August 27th 11, 07:58 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:59:06 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Swingman wrote:
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

You haven't read _The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove_ (or any book by
Christopher Moore) yet, have you?

Exceedingly highly recommended.

_Coyote Blue and _Island of the Sequined Love Nun_ are both excellent,
too. Cargo Cults, anyone?

Want another laugh? This hardcover book is on sale for only
$21,963.61
+ $3.99shipping
Seller: gb_book
Seller Rating:96% positive over the past 12 months. (1,686 total
ratings)
In Stock. Ships from CA, United States. Expedited shipping available.
Domestic shipping rates and return policy.
New, in perfect condition (It damned well better be for that price!)
_Get Your House Right_