Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 9,025
Default Hole spacing

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:26:42 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Eric wrote:


"Jack Stein" wrote in message ...

On 8/24/2011 2:10 AM, Bill wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't
mention it.

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please
excuse me if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper
model* (you don't need high-power computer software for this
problem).

There are lots of ways to solve this long standing problem, as this
thread has shown. You only NEED one of them.


"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."


No - it goes like this... Light a fire for a man and you keep him warm for
a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for life...


Ewwwwwww! You're sick, perverted, and twisted.
No wonder we get along.

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix

  #92   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 04:58 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,559
Default Hole spacing

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:


No - it goes like this... Light a fire for a man and you keep him
warm for a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for life...


Teach a man woodworking, and he'll have firewood for life. (Especially if
you buy him a bandsaw.)

Puckdropper
  #93   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 81
Default Hole spacing



--
Paul
"Bill" wrote in message
...
Leon wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the
select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide"
from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it
will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and based on
the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red
dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible
markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you
want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be
55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)


Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me if
this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't need
high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece of
paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps you
see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and then
tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in any
number of ways. I think more things have been built working like this
than by designing with cad/cam software.

Bill


This is the way I've been doing it. Most times it's not a big problem, just
wish to learn a faster way. Really would like to learn sketchup. Played with
that for a little bit the other day and got nowhere, course I didn't bother
to read any tutorials.

Paul

  #94   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 07:30 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2011
Posts: 283
Default Hole spacing

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 8/24/2011 1:10 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
typed:
My math skills are non existent beyond basic math, and
I'm trying to figure out how to space holes evenly along
a center line in an area. Let's say I have a rectulanglar
block, 6" long ,less 1/4" on each end for a border and I
want to evenly space 6- 3/4" holes. How do you figure
that? My daughter-in-law says you can do that in one of
those cheap home design programs. That would be ideal for
me. Anyone use one of those programs that knows if they
can be used for that? Thanks.

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including
Sketch-it
or whatever it's called.

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention
it.

Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the
select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide"
from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it
will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and
based on
the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red
dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.

Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible
markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever
you
want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.

For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be
55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)

Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me
if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't
need high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece
of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps
you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and
then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in
any number of ways. I think more things have been built working like
this than by designing with cad/cam software.

Bill


It would probably be easier to read the OP, It is simple math , no
computer model needed. I only drew the model to prove the easy math.


Yes, working with fractions and decimal numbers is simple if you already
know how to do it. Personally, I think problems like this are perfect so
someone who wants to hone his or her skills--and I mean by using pencil
and paper.


I apologize for being vague above. By "pencil and paper" I meant
arithmetic along with whatever else one needs to abstract/extract from a
picture or diagram. Most of the time, of course, one has to draw his or
her own diagram--and that may be the hardest part. I believe that
learning to work problems like the one featured in this thread is
valuable and will help take one's woodworking to another level.
Practicing is not a waste of time at all. Even if this problem never
shows up again, I promise that another one, having the same flavor, is
just around the corner!




I hope the OP makes up more similar problems to solve for
practice. I am willing to assist if requested.


  #95   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,215
Default Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 10:19 PM, Bill wrote:

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."


But if I cut the fish into 6 equal pieces, minus a few inches for the
tail...

--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.
http://jbstein.com


  #96   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,215
Default Hole spacing

On 8/24/2011 7:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Roger, Woolco, and Out!


Yeah, you guys are out, but now you got me stuck in Sketchup, dividing
up 6", 5 1/2", 5 1/4" and 4 3/4" lines, 2 different ways...


Thanks...


I aim to confuse! LOL

Take a look at my pdf file in abpw


I've been thinking about going with a pay service to get binaries, but
so far, just thinking about it...

--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.
http://jbstein.com
  #97   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 9,025
Default Hole spacing

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:06:08 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote:

On 8/24/2011 10:19 PM, Bill wrote:

"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."


But if I cut the fish into 6 equal pieces, minus a few inches for the
tail...


14/16" pieces?

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix
  #98   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,297
Default Hole spacing

Jack Stein wrote in :

I've been thinking about going with a pay service to get binaries, but
so far, just thinking about it...


Looks like you're doing just fine without the binaries, but your curiosity
has been tweaked.

I'd suggest you pay Astraweb $10 for 25 GB of downloads, like I did in
2008. I'm still owed 24 GB of downloads, but then, I hardly ever look at
anything other than abpw.

Bonus is the great retention and reliability of astraweb.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
  #99   Report Post  
Old August 25th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2011
Posts: 180
Default Hole spacing

Give a man a match and he will keep himself warm for the day. Light a man on
fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!

1--------------
"Bill" wrote in message ...
What's a matta, fish ain't good enough for you?

2----------
Swingman wrote:
Teach me to code fractal geometry and ...

3------------
On 8/24/2011 9:19 PM, Bill wrote:
"Give me a fish and I eat for a day, Teach me to fish and..."

  #100   Report Post  
Old August 26th 11, 02:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 9,025
Default Hole spacing

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:07:51 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 8/25/2011 8:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:20:31 -0500, [email protected]
wrote:


If you can not afford $3, you might want to reevaluate your priorities
or fill us in how you do it for less money.


I wish people would use publicly accessible sites instead of some
funky binary. ABPW is a PITA.

Several _dozen_ picture hosting sites are free for the asking.


Well you don't always get what you want for free.


What do you see as advantages using the free ABPW over a free picture
hosting site, Leon? What would you want that you'd have to pay for in
that direction, too? I don't get it.

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outlet spacing desgnr[_2_] Home Repair 32 February 18th 10 06:11 PM
Spacing of guide holes in the 3-hole Kreg Pocket Hole Jig? Chuck Olson[_2_] Woodworking 11 December 9th 08 06:54 PM
Will single hole faucet fit widespread center hole? dke3591 Home Repair 4 March 15th 07 05:58 PM
Modulator PAL B/G 6.5 MHZ sound spacing to B/G 5.5 or 6 Mhz s. spacing [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 November 6th 06 12:49 PM
Milwaukee 5620 Router Industry Standard Hole Spacing? Steved1961 Woodworking 4 April 17th 05 11:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017