Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:50:39 -0400, Steve

On 2011-06-13 11:26:06 -0400, Larry Jaques
said:

I think you misspelled "The Government", Steve. And Homeland Security
owns the TSA.

Ok, maybe I was giving TSA too much credit.

Some people think giving them _any_ credit would be too much.

--
To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.
-- Chinese Proverb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Harbor Freight specs all thier tools to meet minimum requirements. In the
case of a clamp, screw driver, hand wrench or other item of that type,
disposable is ok if your on a budget. I have my share of junk tools for
purposes that are "one time" or "Infrequent" use, and they are fine for
that. When it comes to a big ticket tool like a compressor, table saw, drill
press or the like . . . I always save up and go for name brand. I've never
been sorry that I spent the extra money for a top grade tool, or at least
the ones that matter. I ended up with a Rigid compressor, only for the fact
that I plan to use it very infrequently, but still wanted a name brand tool
to ensure a safety margin and some reliability. I don't even think of Harbor
Frieght when I am considering a serious purchase. Thier stuff is strictly
for one time, very infrequent, or when it doesn't matter if the tool works
properly. I did purchase one of the Mini Machine lathes they sell . . . And
it operates just like the piece of junk I paid for . . . But it did manage
to do the job it was bought for, even if it took twice as long to get the
accuracy that a good machine would have achieved with very little effort.
Working with Harbor Frieght tools is like sawing wood with a dull blade . .
.. You may eventually get the job done, but it won't look be easy, and the
result may not be what your looking for. But then . . . are you building a
birdhouse or a church?

--
Offered in the spirit of friendship and respect
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Working with Harbor
Frieght tools is like sawing wood with a dull blade . . . You may
eventually get the job done, but it won't look be easy, and the
result may not be what your looking for. But then . . . are you
building a birdhouse or a church?

Some are indeed like that, but others just are not. I don't buy many HF
tools with cords on them but I do own a couple. I use their 4 1/2 angle
grinders and consider them to be disposable. I keep two in my cabinet so
I'm never stranded if one bites the bullet. They work fine and take a lot
of abuse, but they do die. Then again, so did the Snap On grinder that
preceeded them. At least with these, I can replace them cheap, and keep on
working.

The other corded tool I have was a present - and it flat out works as it
should. It's a chain saw grinder. I generally file by hand and can both
keep and restore a chain with just a round file, with the best of them, but
there are times when it pays to reset the grind on a chain. I received the
tool as a gift, and I have to say that it works just as it should. I might
hit some chains once or twice a year (both my own and those of others), and
I defy anyone to tell the difference between what it produces, and what any
other more expensive unit would cost.

There are a lot of other things at HF that have served me well for years.
But then again - I do stay away from some categories of tools they sell.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 1:32*am, "Mike Marlow"
Working with Harbor
Frieght tools is like sawing wood with a dull blade . . . You may
eventually get the job done, but it won't look be easy, and the
result may not be what your looking for. But then . . . are you
building a birdhouse or a church?

Some are indeed like that, but others just are not.

I agree: some are worth it and some are not. The thing is, I
physically looked at a bunch of other pancake compressors and felt
that this one from HF would probably serve ME best. The darn four-
gallon tank is filled with air and ready to go in a little over 30
seconds. A buddy of mine has a smallish Porter Cable and he says it
takes him about four minutes load fill a three-gallon tank. Of
course, his cost about $60 at a big box store, so you know it's not
anything special.

I am an infrequent user, to say the least. I do have plans on putting
on a new roof but, other than that, I don't plan on using it every day
or even every week...maybe most weeks but not every week. And, at
$67, it is also a disposable tool. I know it won't last forever but I
am hoping it lasts long enough.

If my ivelihood or my life depended on it, I don't think I would have
bought it. But for what I want/need, this thing seems like it will be
okay.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a special sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and tried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. Then it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it back. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on the up and up ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a special sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and tried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. Then it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it back. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on the up and up ?

It looks like a direct drive (no belt). Those tend to be very noisy.
I had a similar one and it later needed a part. It took 2 months to
get it as it had to come from China. Sold it and bought a used belt
driven one and have not had any problems with that one.

--
 GW Ross

 Every vision has an equal and
 opposite revision.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/2014 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a special sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and tried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. Then it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it back. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on the up and up ?

Sounds like it was a return and the as is was intended on getting rid of
it, maybe for parts.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/2014 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a special sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and tried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. Then it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it back. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on the up and up ?

Take the motor off and see if it runs for 20 minutes w/o a load, the
motor might be the problem.
If not, then find out what is going on in the compressor section.
Take that apart might be a bad ring.. they use rubberized, (silicone o,
teflon, or others for rings and that's how they stay oil free. Maybe the
ring broke and is binding.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:57:15 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a special sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and tried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. Then it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it back. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on the up and up ?

Was there a sign stating that it was as-is? If not, I'd take it back
and argue the point. HF is particularly good about returns. If they
don't take it back without questions, buck it up the chain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a special sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it in and tried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it came on. Then it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my receipt to take it back. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am thinking Harbor Freight is not on the up and up ?

I'm thinking you were asleep at the switch. When the price sounds
too good to be true, it usually is. Deep discounts from their already
"discount" prices are almost always "as is".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 13:11:04 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

On 3/1/2014 12:57 PM, wrote:
On Friday, June 10, 2011 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, busbus wrote:
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...-125-psi-cast-

iron-vertical-air-compressor-67847.html

I bought this air compressor on the Richland washington store. It had a
special sign on it for $100.00 ! I bit and bought it. I plugged it
in and tried it. It would not work. I tried and tried and finally it
came on. Then it froze up. That has been a year ago. I dug out my
receipt to take it back. BUT, the receipt said "AS IS "! Nothing
about that before I bought it. Not a thing on the sign outside. Am
thinking Harbor Freight is not on the up and up ?

Sounds like it was a return and the as is was intended on getting rid of
it, maybe for parts.

I bought a similar HF compressor years and years ago. When it arrived the
starting capacitor had become disconnected in shipping. Fixed it and the
compressor has worked fine every since.

Also, does it has oil?
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am wondering if you guys should just call the OP and see if he is still alive. Responding to posts that are nearly THREE years old aren't always productive use of your time.

Of course, he could still be waiting to hear from you...

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

, just want to be able to pee out on my front lawn again...

You can now, as long as you don't stand still too long and pee ice cubes!
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote

, just want to be able to pee out on my front lawn again...

You can now, as long as you don't stand still too long and pee ice
cubes!

No! I can't! When I tried I peed down the tops of my hip boots...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

No! I can't! When I tried I peed down the tops of my hip boots...

Ahh, my problem, too!

Look for the silver lining in that dark cloud...

It does warm up your feet! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have used a a href="https://bestaircompressorstore.com/central-pneumatic-air-compressor-review/"central pneumatic 3-gallon air compressor/a for three years for my little car. It is best portable and small but energy efficient. But I need a big model from my current models such as 8 or 10 gallons. Which will be suitable for my little car?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 3:18:25 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have used a a href="https://bestaircompressorstore.com/central-pneumatic-air-compressor-review/"central pneumatic 3-gallon air compressor/a for three years for my little car. It is best portable and small but energy efficient. But I need a big model from my current models such as 8 or 10 gallons. Which will be suitable for my little car?

Don't know about the 10 gallon compressor. I think HF has two 8 gallon models.

I've used the Model 69667 for a few years.... no problems with it. I just bought another for my Mother's home, so that I don't have to load/carry mine, there. Assembly is easy, 5 minutes. This model is on sale for $99 at my local HF.... might be on sale at your local store, also. I think a few years ago it cost $129.

It has to be plugged directly into the wall outlet, otherwise it won't run properly. If you want to use an extension cord, get one with 12 gauge or larger wire. 14 or 16 gauge wire is not sufficient. A 12 gauge wire cord needs to be 15' or less, in length, or the compressor won't work properly. I bought (Walmart - $25) an 8' 12 gauge wire surge protector power strip for Mom's compressor. Larger than 12 gauge wire will allow for using a longer than 15' cord, but I don't know a maximum length/range.

From what I've heard/learned, DIYers don't think/remember to drain the water from their tanks, hence, they end up having related issues with their "work".... or have some sort of moisture issues for particular uses. Remember to drain the tank, often. There's a drain valve on the bottom of the tank. And use a catch basin, when you drain it.

Sonny