Eugene

Default OT - ISP

Larry Blanchard wrote:

For years now, Fox Internet has been my ISP. Even when they
raised their rates, the service was good enough and reliable
enough that I stayed with them. I may even have recommended
them to others in this group.

Well, early this year they sold out to an organization called
Y3K. Since then, it's been a steady deterioration, at least in
the Spokane area.

I think I've given them enough time to fix their problems, so
I'm looking for a replacement. A site that ranks ISPs available
in a given area has good things to say about a company called
InterGate. Anyone here have good or bad comments about
InterGate?

Thanks.

Seems to be common. I just had to leave Time Warner after years because
their AOL merger brought once good service down to AOL levels. My solution
was to register my own domain and use that for all my mail so I can hop
around local ISP's as necessary without sending out new e-mail address
reminders each time.

Larry Blanchard

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:13:04 -0700, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I think I've given them enough time to fix their problems, so
I'm looking for a replacement. A site that ranks ISPs available
in a given area has good things to say about a company called
InterGate. Anyone here have good or bad comments about
InterGate?

I don't know, but keep in mind you can get a newsfeed from other than
your ISP, and email can also be handled by another provider. I've been
doing this for some time now (while getting my network connectivity
yet a third or fourth way) which lets me change things around alot
while keeping the same address, killfile, etc. I'm happy with the
free newsserver at cis.dfn.de, and very happy with the spamfiltering
that spamcop.net does for me. If you just see the ISP as someone to give
you basic connectivity, it frees up the decision process a bit.

Dave Hinz

Bay Area Dave

dave,
their rules "require" that the sender's address be legit.
Do they REALLY enforce such a bizarre requirement, with all
the spamming going on? Most folks don't want their true
email address to be posted anywhere on the web.

dave

Dave Hinz wrote:
I'm happy with the
free newsserver at cis.dfn.de, and very happy with the spamfiltering
that spamcop.net does for me.
Dave Hinz

Upscale

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
The only drawback is that they have a short timeout - about 5
minutes, so if I spend a long time composing a response I have
to reconnect. Doesn't happen often.

Sounds like you need one of those little stay-connected programs. It's
designed to prevent disconnection by pinging the server every few minutes or
whatever period you set.

Dave Hinz

The only drawback is that they have a short timeout - about 5
minutes, so if I spend a long time composing a response I have
to reconnect. Doesn't happen often.

Sounds like you need one of those little stay-connected programs. It's
designed to prevent disconnection by pinging the server every few minutes or
whatever period you set.

Well, with the newsserver we both use, it's not a huge deal; I'm using
'slrn' as a newsreader, which authenticates for me and I don't lose
anything, just get the two second "reconnecting to server ...." message.

It's gone down twice in the last couple of years; much more reliable
than any ISP newsserver that I've ever paid for.

Dave Hinz