DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Accelerate tung oil curing? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/322620-accelerate-tung-oil-curing.html)

tommyboy May 3rd 11 12:55 PM

Accelerate tung oil curing?

How can I help it along? Put piece out in direct sunlight?
Have a small fan blowing air on the piece? Something else?

Larry Jaques[_3_] May 3rd 11 02:02 PM

Accelerate tung oil curing?

On Tue, 03 May 2011 07:55:29 -0400, tommyboy wrote:

How can I help it along? Put piece out in direct sunlight?
Have a small fan blowing air on the piece? Something else?

If you didn't use polymerized tung oil, you're screwed. Tung is an
air-drying oil, but warmth probably helps polymerize it. Strong, hot
sunlight might cause a bubbling, though. I wouldn't try that.

Next time, try wiping on some Waterlox. I get 3 coats on the first
day, then one more coat per day afterward. 3 wiped coats provides a
minimal but complete finish.

But always remember the #2 rule in finishing: Do NOT rush it.
#1 is: Prep well and thoroughly clean before finishing.

--
Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found
no remedy for the worst of them all--the apathy of human beings.

ed_h May 3rd 11 11:05 PM

Accelerate tung oil curing?

On May 3, 6:55*am, tommyboy wrote:
How can I help it along? Put piece out in direct sunlight?
Have a small fan blowing air on the piece? Something else?

A few drops of Japan Drier should accelerate the curing of Tung Oil.

RonB[_2_] May 4th 11 03:50 AM

Accelerate tung oil curing?

On May 3, 6:55*am, tommyboy wrote:
How can I help it along? Put piece out in direct sunlight?
Have a small fan blowing air on the piece? Something else?

It usually cures fairly quickly IF you wipe the excess dampness after
10-20 minutes. If not it can take a long time to cure. I found out
the hard way with a Danish oil finish (similar process) a few years
ago. I placed the item in direct sunlight and it sped up drying. Do
this after you give the piece a light wipe with a soft, dry rag to
remove excess oil.

RonB