DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's this piece of furniture called? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/322288-whats-piece-furniture-called.html)

[email protected] April 26th 11 09:18 PM

What's this piece of furniture called?

I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is
hinged, so when you lift it, there's room underneath where you can
store things like boots and gloves.

I'd like to make something like this, and I think it would be within
my skill level. I'm sure I could create my own design, but I'd like
to look at a plan if any are around. But what do I call the thing
when I Google it?

[email protected] April 26th 11 09:45 PM

What's this piece of furniture called?

On Apr 26, 4:23*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. *The space under the seat is enclosed. *The seat is
hinged, so when you lift it, there's room underneath where you can
store things like boots and gloves.

I'd like to make something like this, and I think it would be within
my skill level. *I'm sure I could create my own design, but I'd like
to look at a plan if any are around. *But what do I call the thing
when I Google it?

Try "foyer bench".

That's it! Thank you, Dave!

Swingman April 27th 11 12:13 AM

On 4/26/2011 3:18 PM, wrote:
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is
hinged, so when you lift it, there's room underneath where you can
store things like boots and gloves.

I'd like to make something like this, and I think it would be within
my skill level. I'm sure I could create my own design, but I'd like
to look at a plan if any are around. But what do I call the thing
when I Google it?

"Deacons Bench" is what it's called around here.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Kevin(Bluey) April 27th 11 12:16 AM

On 4/27/2011 5:48 AM, wrote:
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is
hinged, so when you lift it, there's room underneath where you can
store things like boots and gloves.

I'd like to make something like this, and I think it would be within
my skill level. I'm sure I could create my own design, but I'd like
to look at a plan if any are around. But what do I call the thing
when I Google it?

Monks' bench

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 27th 11 01:26 AM

What's this piece of furniture called?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:46:12 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

On 4/27/2011 5:48 AM, wrote:
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is
hinged, so when you lift it, there's room underneath where you can
store things like boots and gloves.

I'd like to make something like this, and I think it would be within
my skill level. I'm sure I could create my own design, but I'd like
to look at a plan if any are around. But what do I call the thing
when I Google it?

Monks' bench

"That goddamned bench I keep tripping over in the hallway."
--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] April 27th 11 04:08 AM

wrote in message
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is
hinged,

Hinged seat? Sounds a lot like a toilet or a Porta-Potty.

Lobby Dosser[_3_] April 27th 11 10:26 AM

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is
hinged,

Hinged seat? Sounds a lot like a toilet or a Porta-Potty.

"rather wide" might indicate a two holer.

George W Frost April 27th 11 12:54 PM

wrote in message
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The seat is
hinged,

Hinged seat? Sounds a lot like a toilet or a Porta-Potty.

"rather wide" might indicate a two holer.

Sounds very much like a hallway seat with the space under the seat for
blankets or shoes, galoshes, or overboots,. whatever you call them there.

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 27th 11 02:53 PM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks
something like a church pew. The space under the seat is enclosed. The
seat is hinged,

Hinged seat? Sounds a lot like a toilet or a Porta-Potty.

A wide version, at that. Made for more than one person at a time. 'Cause
after all, the family that sits together, ****s together...

--

-Mike-

RicodJour April 27th 11 03:27 PM

On Apr 26, 4:18*pm, wrote:
I'm thinking of a rather wide bench, with a back, that looks something
like a church pew. *The space under the seat is enclosed. *The seat is
hinged, so when you lift it, there's room underneath where you can
store things like boots and gloves.

I'd like to make something like this, and I think it would be within
my skill level. *I'm sure I could create my own design, but I'd like
to look at a plan if any are around. *But what do I call the thing
when I Google it?

If the back is tall the term I use is a hall bench or tree. The tree
is stretching it a bit, as a tree is usually just for coats and hats,
but that's the term.

You could also be quite literal in your search term - wood storage
bench.

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 27th 11 03:47 PM

What's this piece of furniture called?

Or my favorite, the Bumper Dumper! http://goo.gl/nNjTM

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs