DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Looking for a motor source (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/318352-looking-motor-source.html)

[email protected] February 5th 11 03:39 PM

Looking for a motor source

I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer motor.
The jointer is a nice Jet 6 inch built in the 70s. I think I paid about
$150 for it and use it about a half dozen times a year. Watching CL for
a comparable replacement, but also looking for a source for 3/4 hp
replacement motor. Jet was $236 for theirs plus shipping.

So ... any recommended sources for a rebuilt motor?

TIA

Larry

No Name February 5th 11 04:23 PM

Looking for a motor source

On 2/5/2011 10:39 AM, wrote:
I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer
motor. Watching CL for a comparable replacement, but also looking for
a source for 3/4 hp replacement motor.

In what way is it dead ??? May be a simple problem ... How does it
act when you apply power ???

FrozenNorth[_4_] February 5th 11 04:28 PM

Looking for a motor source

On 2/05/11 11:23 AM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:

On 2/5/2011 10:39 AM, wrote:
I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer
motor. Watching CL for a comparable replacement, but also looking for
a source for 3/4 hp replacement motor.

In what way is it dead ??? May be a simple problem ... How does it act
when you apply power ???

Bob, please turn off the HTML posting in your newsreader.

--
Froz...

No Name February 5th 11 05:03 PM

Looking for a motor source

Bob, please turn off the HTML posting in your newsreader.

I finally found where to turn "OFF" HTML in Thunderbird, and did so ...
just out of curiosity, what is the difference ??? Obviously, it must
be something annoying to others ... what does it do??? For some
reason Thunderbird sets it to "ON" by default, and I just rebuilt this
computer, reinstalling everything, so it got set that way upon installation.

__ Bøb __

No Name February 5th 11 05:07 PM

Looking for a motor source

Just hums on startup. Had it checked by qualified motor shop. Windings
burned out. Dead.

Sure sounds like you would qualify for a replacement ... check out
Tractor Supply and Northern Tool for replacements. You won't find a
great deal there on a Baldor, but you might find a Marathon or other
slightly lesser quality motor for a fair price.

__ Bøb __

FrozenNorth[_4_] February 5th 11 05:12 PM

Looking for a motor source

On 2/05/11 12:03 PM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:

Bob, please turn off the HTML posting in your newsreader.

I finally found where to turn "OFF" HTML in Thunderbird, and did so ...
just out of curiosity, what is the difference ??? Obviously, it must be
something annoying to others ... what does it do??? For some reason
Thunderbird sets it to "ON" by default, and I just rebuilt this
computer, reinstalling everything, so it got set that way upon
installation.

Generally it ****es people off, in this case just a lot of extra stuff
came down, specifying fonts, colours etc. In the old days when most had
dial up that was the issue, the extra bytes, it may also lead to
possible malicious code being downloaded, if people have a vulnerable
reader.

--
Froz...

Sonny February 5th 11 05:13 PM

Looking for a motor source

Someone mentioned Yellow Pages and, on your previous post, someone
mentioned taking it to a shop to be evaluated. My local electircal
supply company, which has a department for repairing motors, will, for
free, evaluate any motor and give quotes for repair or replacement.
Shop around for such a company/shop.

Assuming you've done the troubleshooting, as recommended on the
comparable replacement motors. I bought a new Unisaw motor at a much
cheaper price, via Amazon, than what Delta, my local shop & Gainger
(also local) wanted.

I think, if you email the specs of your motor to Baldor, they will
match the correct replacement motor.

Sonny

Doug Winterburn February 5th 11 05:17 PM

Looking for a motor source

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/Main/256

Michael Kenefick February 5th 11 06:36 PM

Looking for a motor source

Hello Larry,

New industrial / Farm duty (continues duty) motors can be found at farm
supply stores. My local one is called Track Supply (used to be Farm
Fleet?).

Also, check with your local motor repair places. I had a 2 HP Leeson
that was flaky. They only charged a $20.00 bench fee to see if they
could fix it.

$236 is probably a good price for an OEM motor. $150.00 for a used Jet
sounds like a very good deal to me. It may qualify for a you suck.

Also, check OWWM.org for Bring Out Your Dead, BOYD forum. Ask if any
one in your area is selling a motor.

Mike in Ohio

[email protected] February 5th 11 06:48 PM

Looking for a motor source

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 12:03:59 -0500, "__ Bøb __"
wrote:

Bob, please turn off the HTML posting in your newsreader.

I finally found where to turn "OFF" HTML in Thunderbird, and did so ...
just out of curiosity, what is the difference ??? Obviously, it must
be something annoying to others ... what does it do??? For some
reason Thunderbird sets it to "ON" by default, and I just rebuilt this
computer, reinstalling everything, so it got set that way upon installation.

It messes with the way our newsreaders are set up, or alternatively, we see
nothing but a bunch of HTML tags. Neither is good if your intent is to
communicate.

[email protected] February 5th 11 09:01 PM

Looking for a motor source

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 09:39:50 -0600, "
wrote:

I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer motor.
The jointer is a nice Jet 6 inch built in the 70s. I think I paid about
$150 for it and use it about a half dozen times a year. Watching CL for
a comparable replacement, but also looking for a source for 3/4 hp
replacement motor. Jet was $236 for theirs plus shipping.

So ... any recommended sources for a rebuilt motor?

TIA

Larry

Couple of places to get pricing:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

I have ordered from Surplus Center (valves, not motors).

John

KIMOSABE February 5th 11 09:21 PM

Looking for a motor source

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...ectric-motors/

CW[_6_] February 6th 11 12:07 AM

Looking for a motor source

"Sonny" wrote in message
Someone mentioned Yellow Pages and, on your previous post, someone
mentioned taking it to a shop to be evaluated. My local electircal
supply company, which has a department for repairing motors, will, for
free, evaluate any motor and give quotes for repair or replacement.
Shop around for such a company/shop.

Assuming you've done the troubleshooting, as recommended on the
comparable replacement motors. I bought a new Unisaw motor at a much
cheaper price, via Amazon, than what Delta, my local shop & Gainger
(also local) wanted.

I think, if you email the specs of your motor to Baldor, they will
match the correct replacement motor.

Sonny

I'm sure they will but the price will be as high as what Jet wants.

KIMOSABE February 6th 11 04:27 AM

Looking for a motor source

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/.../MTR-P75-1AB18

Bob F February 6th 11 07:44 AM

Looking for a motor source

wrote:
I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer
motor. The jointer is a nice Jet 6 inch built in the 70s. I think I
paid about $150 for it and use it about a half dozen times a year. Watching CL
for a comparable replacement, but also looking for a
source for 3/4 hp replacement motor. Jet was $236 for theirs plus
shipping.
So ... any recommended sources for a rebuilt motor?

I'd keep my eye on local craigslist "free" postings and freecycle for a freebie
belt drive table saw. Or, even post a "wanted" on freecycle for my area.

Nova February 6th 11 12:11 PM

Looking for a motor source

__ Bøb __ wrote:

On 2/5/2011 10:39 AM, wrote:
I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer
motor. Watching CL for a comparable replacement, but also looking for
a source for 3/4 hp replacement motor.

In what way is it dead ??? May be a simple problem ... How does it
act when you apply power ???

A motor that hums on startup is a classic sign of a bad start
capacitor. See if it runs when you give it a spin. A new capacitor
is about $10.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

HeyBub[_3_] February 6th 11 12:39 PM

Looking for a motor source

wrote:
Just hums on startup. Had it checked by qualified motor shop. Windings
burned out. Dead.

If it was totally kaput, I don't think it should hum or do anything else.

Pat Barber[_2_] February 7th 11 06:21 PM

Looking for a motor source

http://www.baldor.com/products/ac_motors.asp

http://www.grainger.com/

http://www.leesondirect.com/