Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bamboo Cutting Boards?

I have heard that bamboo is good wood to use for cutting boards. I
have never seen bamboo except for the 'sticks' seen many years ago as
a kid. Make that many many years ago. I live in NW New Jersey and have
not seen it in this area? Where would I go to get some? How is it
sold? How does one work with it? What else can you tell me about it?
SWMBO has been after me to make her some new cutting boards and I must
oblige if I am to have her continue to feed me.
Thanks for any and all help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 4:25*pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I have heard that bamboo is good wood to use for cutting boards. I
Thanks for any and all help.

Plyboo

There are a few manufactures that are making Bamboo plywood. Plyboo is
one name I remember but there are others. It comes in different colors
which is achieved by toasting or cooking it. t is harder than Maple.
They make it by creating consistent sized strips about the dimensions
of a chop stick (but longer) and they press it together in a resin
glue bath to make sheets. You can get it cut along the edge or across
the end for different patterns.

You can treat it just like solid wood. It takes the same glues. Works
with the same cutters although it can get fuzzy when sanded sometimes
and it is very abrasive so tools get dull quick.

Don't usually see it in anything but full sized sheets 4' x 8' but
"maybe" you could buy solid bamboo flooring which is made from the
same stuff and use that.

I have seen it laminated into blocks and turned into bowls, etc.
Anything solid wood can do. Not sure about water proof but easily
water resistant. Maybe not good for the dishwasher but not sure.

Most local commercial wood suppliers that sell sheet goods can get
this or have it already.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have heard that bamboo is good wood to use for cutting boards. I
have never seen bamboo except for the 'sticks' seen many years ago as
a kid. Make that many many years ago. I live in NW New Jersey and have
not seen it in this area? Where would I go to get some? How is it
sold? How does one work with it? What else can you tell me about it?
SWMBO has been after me to make her some new cutting boards and I must
oblige if I am to have her continue to feed me.
Thanks for any and all help.

I saw a one of those travel/survival shows once that showed some
bamboo processing techniques. They took the long hollow poles and cut
them in half the long way. Then scored the halves the long way along
the inside so the halves could be flattened. Once flattened they were
used for siding on the huts. A client has a conference room with
bamboo wall covering that looks like it could be made that way; verrry
nice, rich-looking paneling.

It's hard stuff, used for flooring as well.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2011 7:18 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

Try any hardwood supplier. My supplier (Blue Linx Hardwoods) has
sheets, trim, boards, blocks.... Try these sites and then search for
locations.

http://www.nwbamboo.com/materials.html
http://www.bamboohardwoods.com/

My supplier has this companies products:
http://www.teragren.com/

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:51:46 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On Jan 18, 4:25Â*pm, trvlnmny wrote:
[...]

Most good houseware/hardware stores cary bamboo cutting boards ready
made for a reasonable price.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have heard that bamboo is good wood to use for cutting boards. I
have never seen bamboo except for the 'sticks' seen many years ago as
a kid. Make that many many years ago. I live in NW New Jersey and have
not seen it in this area? Where would I go to get some? How is it
sold? How does one work with it? What else can you tell me about it?
SWMBO has been after me to make her some new cutting boards and I must
oblige if I am to have her continue to feed me.
Thanks for any and all help.

Personally I wouldn't use one, basically anything made of bamboo is made of
slim sticks that are all glued together. Not knowing what type of glue that
is used and its safety, particularly with China's tendency to use toxic
materials in many products, I avoid anything made from this type of bamboo
product. There are better woods that grow in North America that you can use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:26:16 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have heard that bamboo is good wood to use for cutting boards. I
have never seen bamboo except for the 'sticks' seen many years ago as
a kid. Make that many many years ago. I live in NW New Jersey and have
not seen it in this area? Where would I go to get some? How is it
sold? How does one work with it? What else can you tell me about it?
SWMBO has been after me to make her some new cutting boards and I must
oblige if I am to have her continue to feed me.
Thanks for any and all help.

Personally I wouldn't use one, basically anything made of bamboo is made of
slim sticks that are all glued together. Not knowing what type of glue that
is used and its safety, particularly with China's tendency to use toxic
materials in many products, I avoid anything made from this type of bamboo
product. There are better woods that grow in North America that you can use.

And technically it is NOT wood, but grass.
Bamboo mixing spoons are highly regarded by many chefs,
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
[...]

That may be, but if quality control is not enforced how can anyone trust the
chemicals used in manufacturing. Also there are many different bamboos being
used, some are soft and absorbent and others are very hard, nobody provides
the species being used, if they even know or care.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 7:51*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Don't usually see it in anything but full sized sheets 4' x 8' but
"maybe" you could buy solid bamboo flooring which is made from the
same stuff and use that.

In April, Lumber Liquidators (at least South Jersey) has a parking lot
sale where they sell off their left-overs. They carge five dollars
for single boxes of flooring that have about 28 sq. ft. of flooring.
Last year, there was some bamboo there.

I bought one box of Honduran Rosewood and one of Oak. The problem is
figuring out what to do with it. After shaving off the tongue and
grooves (assuming you don't want them), and possibly resawing (the
downside of the flooring is grooved and the surface has a hard finish)
you've got a lot of thin slats that took a lot of work to get that
way. Then again, 28 bd. ft. of anything for $5 is about the price of
firewood.

I made one of these with the Rosewood: http://www.woodshopics.com/html/amer...oodworker.html

Seems like overkill or a waste, but better that it be used to make
something than to fill a dumpster.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/11 8:22 AM, EXT wrote:
wrote in message

And technically it is NOT wood, but grass.
Bamboo mixing spoons are highly regarded by many chefs,

That may be, but if quality control is not enforced how can anyone trust
the chemicals used in manufacturing. Also there are many different
bamboos being used, some are soft and absorbent and others are very
hard, nobody provides the species being used, if they even know or care.

That can all be said of wood.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have heard that bamboo is good wood to use for cutting boards. I
have never seen bamboo except for the 'sticks' seen many years ago as
a kid. Make that many many years ago. I live in NW New Jersey and have
not seen it in this area? Where would I go to get some? How is it
sold? How does one work with it? What else can you tell me about it?
SWMBO has been after me to make her some new cutting boards and I must
oblige if I am to have her continue to feed me.
Thanks for any and all help.

Might want to take a look at the ones at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Posted to rec.woodworking

*And technically it is NOT wood, but grass.
Bamboo mixing spoons are highly regarded by many chefs,

Only kind I will use. They do "fuzz up" a bit in the dishwasher gasp
after a while, but a couple of passes with a palm sander and #100 grit
solves that.

They are *MUCH* stronger than the usual wooden ones you buy.

We have a number of cutting boards of bamboo in our kitchen. I don't
run them through the dishwasher, but just wipe off with a sponge or
damp cloth. No evidence of anything coming out of the laminations.
They are pretty hard and do not show knife cuts like the polyethylene
type do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Might want to take a look at the ones at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The name of that store always makes me chuckle. Just what lies
*beyond* the bedroom and bathroom? I envision a plane or spaceship
taking off, flying over the bedroom, then the bathroom, then .......

-My cheapo- lawn equipment storage shed
-A big-ass pine tree on the adjacent apartment complex that drops pine
needles all over my cheapo-shed.
-The subdivision of particle-board houses that they built after they
chopped down the walnt orchords where I used to run my dog.

Ah... "beyond"......

-Zz