Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rough Cut - Woodworking with Tommy Mac

Subject

Saw an episode today.

IMHO, the operative word is definitely "ROUGH".

This program has a long way to go.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Using the table saw or other?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

Saw an episode today.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 10:09*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Saw an episode today.

IMHO, the operative word is definitely "ROUGH".

This program has a long way to go.

Lew

But he's got a good attitude and actually knows what he's doing, so I
hope the show stays on and gets its chance to grow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey All,
The first time I saw Tommy was when I was going through the Oneida
website to buy my system. There were three clips presenting an Oneida
install in his shop and I was less than thrilled with his
"performance" and made a few wisecracks to my Oneida rep that I hope
she was not dating "that guy". I recently met him at the Baltimore
show and he was extremely pleasant, and like Rico typed, he really
knows his stuff. He gave me his website address which has several
"how to" links which I found very informative. Some of these may be
redundant to many of you but for me they were better explained here
than elsewhere. (http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/)

He is a very skilled woodworker and a great person "in person" I have
not watched his show yet because the only TV I watch is Jeopardy, the
first 5 minutes of Wheel of Fortune (to see what dress Vanna is
wearing) and Ravens' games (which I hope will continue until February
this year). (And I hope that previous sentence does not jinx them
today. This message was typed at 0700 , several hours before their
game with the evil Pittsburgh Stillers.)

I never watched New Yankee Workshop either because I don't care much
for TV but I hope his - Tommy's - show continues and that his passion
and skill can draw new people into our hobby/trade and also make folks
like me converts to hand cut dovetails and different construction
techniques.

Even if his show has a long way to go I hope he goes a long way.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2011 6:19 AM, marc rosen wrote:

Even if his show has a long way to go I hope he goes a long way.

I agree with you ... was initially skeptical, but after seeing some
trailers I would definitely like to see him succeed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 10:09 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Saw an episode today.

IMHO, the operative word is definitely "ROUGH".

This program has a long way to go.

Lew

But he's got a good attitude and actually knows what he's doing, so I
hope the show stays on and gets its chance to grow.

What you said. But his diction could use improvement. A little "How now
brown cow".
Nor'easterners probably understand him OK but us Texans have to listen very
closely.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 1:16*am, vonKevin wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Saw an episode today.

IMHO, the operative word is definitely "ROUGH".

This program has a long way to go.

Lew

What they need to do is hire some out of work linebacker to bitch-slap
the snot out of Tommy every time he says the word "Lookit" - I lost
count. *

From the looks of him, Tommy could take care of himself, and he's got
an arsenal of sharp tools at hand. The linebacker would have to be
fearless _and_ stupid...but I guess that's redundant.

Now, I have to be up front about this - I have only seen 1
episode - my local PBS did not start running it until January, but in
that one episode, I heard "Lookit" enough to have it pouring out my
ears. I am hopeful that the production staff will manage to break him
of that in short order.

I agree - it's off-putting, but let's give him a chance to be weened
from his vernacular. And, besides, you could always hit the mute
button and still get a lot out of his show.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Saw an episode today.
IMHO, the operative word is definitely "ROUGH".
This program has a long way to go.

I've seen a few episodes myself. I don't care much for his high strung
personality, the boy needs to cut down on his caffiene.

But, there aren't many woodworking shows available, and so far his projects
have seemed more doable by the common woodworker. No giant belt sanders
larger than my car or anything like that.

His style grates me the wrong way, but I watch anyway and will certainly
learn a new thing or two along the way.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:38:51 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

I've seen a few episodes myself. I don't care much for his high strung
personality, the boy needs to cut down on his caffiene.

Agreed.

But, there aren't many woodworking shows available, and so far his
projects have seemed more doable by the common woodworker. No giant belt
sanders larger than my car or anything like that.

And there isn't a brad nailer in sight :-).

I do get the feeling that he tries to fit too much into one half hour
show. For example, I just finished watching an episode about a breadbox
with a tambour door. He could have spent the whole half hour on the hand
cut dovetails and the tambour. Maybe even just the dovetails.

BTW, I think dovetails on a breadbox are a bit pretentious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
BTW, I think dovetails on a breadbox are a bit pretentious.

Makes the bread taste fresher. g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 1:07*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I do get the feeling that he tries to fit too much into one half hour
show. *For example, I just finished watching an episode about a breadbox
with a tambour door. *He could have spent the whole half hour on the hand
cut dovetails and the tambour. *Maybe even just the dovetails.

That's the problem, right there. He has way more skill and could be
schooling serious woodworkers, but he has to dumb it down to attract a
wider audience.

BTW, I think dovetails on a breadbox are a bit pretentious.

Pretentious? He could nail or screw the butt joints together I
suppose...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:52:39 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

BTW, I think dovetails on a breadbox are a bit pretentious.

Pretentious? He could nail or screw the butt joints together I
suppose...

Maybe I used the wrong word. Dovetails on a wall cabinet or its like
give added strength. Something not necessary for a breadbox. I probably
*would* have used butt joints and glue, at least to attach the sides to
the bottom where no end grain would show. If I got to feeling paranoid
about the bottom falling off (Russian black bread is heavy) I'd add a
couple of biscuits or (horrors) dowels.

But I've seen dovetails on small boxes as well. Some people just *love*
dovetails.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4d310ffe$0$11311
:

Subject

Saw an episode today.

IMHO, the operative word is definitely "ROUGH".

This program has a long way to go.

Lew

I do agree with that. Sometimes the first seasons are quite rough, but
I'd like to see the show continue and see if he can gain some hosting
skills.

I wouldn't mind seeing the "Rough Cut Roadtrip" segment extended out to
an entire show and eliminated on the ones where he does a project. It
seems like he just gets there and then has to leave.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:07:20 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

I do get the feeling that he tries to fit too much into one half hour
show. For example, I just finished watching an episode about a breadbox
with a tambour door. He could have spent the whole half hour on the hand
cut dovetails and the tambour. Maybe even just the dovetails.

That's the only episode I've seen, and I thought it wasn't trying to
fit too much into one show, it was not knowing how to trim the fat on
things and budget their time along the way. That will come with
experience.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kevin" wrote ...
wrote:

I do get the feeling that he tries to fit too much into one half hour
show. For example, I just finished watching an episode about a breadbox
with a tambour door. He could have spent the whole half hour on the hand
cut dovetails and the tambour. Maybe even just the dovetails.

That's the only episode I've seen, and I thought it wasn't trying to
fit too much into one show, it was not knowing how to trim the fat on
things and budget their time along the way. That will come with
experience.

I watched it last night. I had to hunt for it as my usual channels did not
carry it. My impressions;

1. He talks too fast. He is trying to say too much.
2. Lots of extra, nonsensical words. All kinds of arcane, corny
expressions. And he YELLS sweet a lot. How annoying.
3. He knows his stuff. But trying to teach too many things at once means
that nothing is covered that well. I did pick up a couple of good tips
though.
4. I think they are trying to be the non Norm. At least with Norm, you
learned things. I fear that his guy will leave a lot of guys in the dust.
5. Is this guy a speed freak? Some chill pills would help.
6. And one problem that he has along with Norm is the emphasis on exotic
materials. Very few of us have a saw mill up the road with 12 inch wide
board of black walnut. It would be nice to show something that mere mortals
or those of modest means could build.
7. Overall, it is a different approach. I will watch some more episodes,
Perhaps I will enjoy it more if caffeinated enough. As long as I learn
something, I will watch it.