Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ideas for dormer closet shelves

I have 4 closets alongside 2 dormers.

The total depth is about 6 foot, but that tapers off with the
roofline.

The woodwork in the home is a medium tone dark stained oak (pine/
particle board in some other closets).

I was thinking to use some of the new wire shelving -- but did not
care too much for the "metal" and "white" in what's mostly "wood" and
"dark".

I bought some white melamine 12" x 8' shelving, but again, putting
that white in alongside stained darker wood, just does not seem right.

I'm now leaning towards the much more labor intense solution of
stained pine/particle board.

One obstalce I have is that 2 or 3 of the shelf spans will be 5' or
better. I was thinking to maybe run a back stringer and then drop in
front supports using dados on the support to fit onto the shelving --
basically take a 2x2 and cut some dados at each shelf height and then
slip that onto the front edge of the shelf and nail it into place.
That will give a solid shelf, but then it puts those "legs" out into
the close.

Anyone else having trouble finding bullnosed particle board shelving?
Is this just outdated by today's standards? The local HD and Lowes no
longer seem to stock that. They have the white melamine and also
that wire stuff. If I was starting from scratch in all the closets,
maybe the wire stuff would be ok. But what close shelves I do have
and a couple of those dorrmer ones are all using stained pine/particle
board.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In Canada HD seems to be just getting into the bullnose stuff. I tried to
build some shelving with some white stuff a year ago and I had to toss it
when I was done. The particles are not chips and the whole thing is just
poor quality cardboard. I couldn't get it to hold a screw on the edges no
matter what I tried. The stuff doesn't even burn well on the construction
lumber scrap pile in my side yard.

It was nice looking and the black stuff had a nice grain but junk?? !! I
don't know where you could even use it unless you built a whole support
frame underneath each shelf. I gave up and replaced the shelves with
laminated chip board. It doesn't sag with my socks and underwear on it over
a 20" span. I had one shelf pin pull right through the bullnose crap on it's
edge. ANy time in the future I will check for this fine grain dried paper
mush and leave it on the shelf for some other sucker to swaer at.

I thought there was some black bullnose stuff with actual chipboard in it.
May have to wait for another season and shipment? If you are in the USA you
should have all kinds of nice plywood you can edge trim for looks and
support over 5'. Your prices are about 1/3 of Canuckistan, that I have
seen. Or try a pine, slightly back from the edge for support (glue or screw
well)

"woodchuck" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchuck wrote:

I was thinking to use some of the new wire shelving -- but did not
care too much for the "metal" and "white" in what's mostly "wood" and
"dark".

Spray paint the wire shelving.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchuck wrote:

One obstalce I have is that 2 or 3 of the shelf spans will be 5' or
better. I was thinking to maybe run a back stringer and then drop in
front supports using dados on the support to fit onto the shelving --
basically take a 2x2 and cut some dados at each shelf height and then
slip that onto the front edge of the shelf and nail it into place.
That will give a solid shelf, but then it puts those "legs" out into
the close.

Don't to 5'. Do two 2' shelves ending up with a one-foot wide area to hold
tall stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A local building supply has plenty of the PB bullnose shelving --
about $8 for a 12" x 8'.

I'm still thinking to use my dado front support system for bracing.
I lay a back support down using 1x2s on the wall, and then I support
the front edge of the shelf about every 32" using 2x2" with dados at
the shelves. It works great for garage shelving using osb and 2x4s
(cut to size with a BS). In the closet -- well, we'll see -- hoping
to match the stain of door trim/floorboards and we'll see if the frong
"legs" are an eyesore.

Howdy! I need some ideas for closet shelves [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 28th 06 04:28 PM
aromatic/western cedar for walkin closet shelves/drawers Pawel Woodworking 5 January 18th 06 02:31 AM
Closet Shelves [email protected] Woodworking 3 December 14th 05 01:40 AM
closet ideas bheider Home Repair 4 October 20th 04 02:24 PM
New shelves for a pantry.....any ideas? RobW Woodworking 9 October 8th 04 02:10 PM