Posted to rec.woodworking

Default corrugated wood fasteners

Does anyone know how to drive these. I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 6:48*am, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to drive these. *I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

I was able to set a few years ago but I had to clamp up tight to get
them in place with a hammer. Results were ok doing this. I think
getting them in cleanly and tight is an acquired skill.

There are better alternatives for a lot of applications such as pocket
screws, biscuits. Depending on your application, pocket screws go in
in a fraction the time it took me to mess with the corrugated things.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 7:48*am, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to drive these. *I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

There are two ways I know to drive corrugated fasteners. If you need
to drive a lot of them both Senco and Paslode make pneumatic nailers
to insert them rather easily. You will need to drive a lot of them to
justify the cost of the tool.

There also is a small and inexpensive tool (possibly made by Stanley
or General). It is an aluminum rectangle about one and a half inches
deep, in which you insert the fastener and a separate blade which fits
behind the fastener. You hand hold the assembly and use a hammer to
drive the blade.

At best, they are easy and cheap to use but tend to crush the wood
fibers. Good application is assembling orange crates.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Does anyone know how to drive these. I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

PW:

There is a dedicated tool for the job. The driver resembles thick,
rectangular
piece of metal with a cutout in the shape of the corrugated fastener
inside of which is captured a a floating anvil. You put the
unit over the fastener and strike the anvil on center. If you can't
find one, keep calm. Cut an accommodating slit in a wood block to
support the fastener. Once you carefully seat
the fasteners to level by light, alternating taps on each
end, a piece of metal centered on top helps to sink them
if you don't have the tool. This can be done freehand as well
with an admixture of a little patience and practice. Nonetheless,
if your target is some fiendishly hard wood that will rebuff the
fasteners, I'd choose again.

On a tight joint, it and fasteners do a decent job, supplemented
by glue and screws. I made some supports for bench roofs as a
kid with these and other hardware and they stand today.

A sleeping fragment of memory makes me want to say that Stanley
made the tool.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 7:48*am, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to drive these. *I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

SpotNails makes a gun for those as does Paslode. I have used both and
prefer the Paslode, but it is pricey.
It all depends how many you are planning to do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 7:48*am, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to drive these. *I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

Here's a cool way, yet spendy IMHO.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...31166&pn=31166

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 12:06*pm, RP wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:48*am, "
wrote:

Does anyone know how to drive these. *I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

Here's a cool way, yet spendy IMHO.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...31166&pn=31166

RP

If you do lots, then it is the only way that makes sense, but
corrugated fasteners are schlocky at the best of times. Fast, dirty
and they can cause carnage to coarse materials like oak. The fasteners
come in different depths and are pricey as well.
The worst thing about them is that the process is irreversible.
Undoing a joint like that is really, really messy. (New part)
I used them to add a small length to a PB substrate for a laid up
laminate job, supporting the seam with a serious slab as the fastener
kicks like a mule.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I hold them with a pair of needle nose pliers until they're started solidly
and then drive them home.

wrote in message
Does anyone know how to drive these. I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 7:48*am, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to drive these. *I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

Used to use these to put silkscreen frames together. Lousy
results even with the proper slotted aluminum thingy with the
floating anvil device. Switched to lap or finger joints, nails, and
waterproof glue.

Still have 3/4 of a 30 year old box of corrugated nails left over.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 00:30:37 -0700, Father Haskell wrote
(in article
):

On Dec 19, 7:48*am, "
wrote:
Does anyone know how to drive these. *I know that they are cheap and
lousy ways to join wood but I have never been able to drive them
successfully.

Used to use these to put silkscreen frames together. Lousy
results even with the proper slotted aluminum thingy with the
floating anvil device. Switched to lap or finger joints, nails, and
waterproof glue.

Still have 3/4 of a 30 year old box of corrugated nails left over.

I used to use these as fortress fencing when building encampments for
backyard toy solider dirt clod wars. Worked great for that, not much else...

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Edward Hennessey, BuenoNo wrote:
Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...rs-366073-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to weikertt, Lynn Rokke wrote:
Finally a clear cut sensible answer Thank you Very much!!!
I had a....er handy man kind of install a window. He left the inside
completely unfinished..that's done The outside, for some reason unknown to any
sensible person cut the trim board to small and made the window smaller then
the matching window in to room. So now I can't remove his trim it's installed
in the Window!! He was supposed to cut out a bad piece of siding and add new
(easy with the window out) but refused and only ....kind of replaced a piece
on top....it had the framing exposed. So now I've got to call the Better
Business Bureau, and my State Attorney General, I'm disabled now and what he
did was fraud. I have his written quote where he stated he was going to
replace all inside trim, Attach a 4" piece of drywall, because the new window
was 4" smaller and would also trim and seal the outside. he set the window in
a wood box without any tar paper or Tyvek around the hole and it's anybody's
guess how he actually sealed the window in. So what I'm suing him for is the
cost to redo his work....and my patch job outside.. Inside I'm happy with the
way I trimmed it out. For Fraud he is lucky if he isn't charged with triple
damages!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...rs-366073-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 4:14:05 PM UTC-4, Lynn Rokke wrote:
[...]

Is this tale of woe somehow connected with the original question?

I replaced all the windows in my house and never considered the use of
"corrugated wood fasteners", inside or out. If you used them to trim out
this window, please us where and,more importantly, why.

Thanks.