Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HVLP question spraying water-based poly

As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss polyurethane.

Although the spray seems to atomize well, it seems that unless I put on
a fairly heavy coat that it deposits in discrete though very small
droplets resulting in a somewhat rough surface.
i.e. - the spray doesn't seem to coalesce into a uniform coat unless I
spray it on pretty thick. It's almost if some type of surface tension is
causing the spray to coalesce together rather than completely and
uniformly wetting the surface.

When I move the gun slower to let more finish deposit, I do get a
uniform sheen that completely 'wets' the surface (however this only
works when the surface is horizontal because otherwise it would run).

- Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
- If so what are the likely causes and corrections?

Note: I am using the low cost but surprisingly well reviewed Harbor
Freight #66222 (purple) gun. My 8 gallon compressor seems to have enough
reserve to power the gun since it is able to cycle. on and off and the
pressure never drops below about 70psi.

The surface I am spraying is clean, well-sanded Birch plywood.

I have the inlet pressure set at about 30PSI.

I have made some (non-exhaustive) attempts to:
- Adjust the inlet pressure in the range of 20-40PSI
- Adjust the fluid volume
- Adjust the spray pattern (more round vs. more oval)
- Adjust the distance to the object (from maybe 8 to 16 inches)
- Adjust the speed at which I sweep across the object

While Minwax claims it hasn't tested and hence can't recommend
polycrylic for spraying, others have had good results with it. Also, it
seems to be of fairly high viscosity and hence seems to spray well.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 10:25*pm, blueman wrote:
[...]

I have sprayed the same product with a 2.0 tip on an HVLP gravity feed
gun at 45 psi inlet pressure. Medium fan.
It works a lot better in a cooler environment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

To get a good, comprehensive answers to your questions, it would be
easier for you to simply search this group. The subject of HVLP
spraying of water borne materials has been discussed completely
several times.

Any time you have spraying errors you can have a *multitude* of
problems that will generate poor results. Some mimic others, so it is
best to get a list of common spraying problems and their diagnosis and
begin from there with your own equipment. I spent a lot of time
writing out the way to properly set up your gun for spraying a long
while back, and I was contacted by more than a few that thought the
info I put out was helpful. It might be to you as well.

FWIW, I think Rob may be on to something. MOST guns (not all) that
come with one tip use a 1.4 to 1.7 mm tip. If you are in that range,
it might not be large enough to spray your finish without thinning.
If you didn't get another tip with the gun (the 2mm is intended for
unthinned latex), try thinning your material about 10% with distilled
water, then shooting it.

I would also suggest that you find a good book(s) on spray technique.
There are a lot of good ones out there, and they can help you
troubleshoot your problems. Some of those books will help you
realize that there are too many variables to troubleshoot ACCURATELY
without a ton of info. They may also be able to help you figure out
what you are doing wrong as well.

Plan on investing some time and money in learning the spray process.
It is no different from any other part of learning a craft, but it
seems to be the biggest enemy of wood workers as they feel like it is
something that they can learn from osmosis. You can spray material
out of a gun by simply hooking it up. But to shoot a well laid,
consistent finish is something that takes time, practice, and above
all, patience.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 8a91b6cf-4e93-4e68-a62f-
,
says...

[...]

Note that getting larger tips for the HF gun may be problematical--I
tried to get a larger one for mine and the gun had been discontinued as
had the tips. They may be available for the replacement model.

While the HF purple gun is fine _if_ out of the box it does what you
need, I've found that tcpglobal has what appears to be the same gun for
not a lot more money and they have a wide range of tips available, as
well as repair kits and accessories. Their tips work on _my_ HF purple
gun but mine isn't the current model.

Note--assume that the regulator that comes with the gun is dead, not
just with TCPglobal but HF as well--I've gotten one good one out of four
guns purchased.

If the tip is too small then you pretty much have to thin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss polyurethane.

Although the spray seems to atomize well, it seems that unless I put
on a fairly heavy coat that it deposits in discrete though very small
droplets resulting in a somewhat rough surface.
i.e. - the spray doesn't seem to coalesce into a uniform coat unless I
spray it on pretty thick. It's almost if some type of surface tension
is causing the spray to coalesce together rather than completely and
uniformly wetting the surface.

When I move the gun slower to let more finish deposit, I do get a
uniform sheen that completely 'wets' the surface (however this only
works when the surface is horizontal because otherwise it would run).

I purchased the baby brother to that gun (46719) for detail work. Almost
all of my painting is with automotive refinishes, and I don't do much at all
with the stuff you're working with, but I'll share some comments and
experiences in general.

First off - don't assume that you'll get sags or runs on vertical surfaces.
If your gun is set up right, the material is the proper viscosity, and your
technique is right, you should easily be able to spray vertical or
horizontal surfaces with that gun. If you have to put on what you feel is a
heavy coat to get a wet coverage, then you probably need to either thin your
material or step up to a larger tip. As well - be careful with HVLP about
cranking your input pressure up too much. More is not better with a gun
like this. HVLP does not atomize like the old guns we were used to and it
really takes some experimenting to get used to your gun.

- Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Of course - it's always the sprayer's fault - never the gun's fault...

- If so what are the likely causes and corrections?

Generally - too high input air pressure, or too small a tip, or too thick a
mixture.

Note: I am using the low cost but surprisingly well reviewed Harbor
Freight #66222 (purple) gun. My 8 gallon compressor seems to have
enough reserve to power the gun since it is able to cycle. on and off
and the pressure never drops below about 70psi.

The surface I am spraying is clean, well-sanded Birch plywood.

I have the inlet pressure set at about 30PSI.

Try cranking that back - a good bit. Try 15-20 psi.

I have made some (non-exhaustive) attempts to:
- Adjust the inlet pressure in the range of 20-40PSI

Too high for most HVLP guns.

- Adjust the fluid volume

Good adjustment - you'll be working with this adjustment a lot.

- Adjust the spray pattern (more round vs. more oval)

Don't use this to get the right amount of material down. Use this to get
the right coverage pattern. If you have to needle the thing down to a small
pattern in order to get a decent coverage, you need to go back and look at
viscosity, tip size, and pressure.

- Adjust the distance to the object (from maybe 8 to 16 inches)

16" is a mile away. Try moving in to 6-8"

- Adjust the speed at which I sweep across the object

Always. Different materials will require different application speeds.
Thicker equals slower.

While Minwax claims it hasn't tested and hence can't recommend
polycrylic for spraying, others have had good results with it. Also,
it seems to be of fairly high viscosity and hence seems to spray well.

Fairly high viscosity would not equate to spraying well. You might want to
add 25% more reducer than you've been using and observe the differences.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:25:18 -0500, blueman wrote:

As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss polyurethane.

Condolences. Perhaps you could thin it with Floetrol. I believe that
Naily has sprayed that and will be piping up soon.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 3:46*am, "
wrote:

FWIW, I think Rob may be on to something. *MOST guns (not all) that
come with one tip use a 1.4 to 1.7 mm tip. *If you are in that range,
it might not be large enough to spray your finish without thinning.
If you didn't get another tip with the gun (the 2mm is intended for
unthinned latex), try thinning your material about 10% with distilled
water, then shooting it.

I bought that 2.0 gravity gun specifically for squirting Sikkens 3+1
primer. An automotive product that just works wonders on MDF's edges
and routed profiles. The build is insane, the sandability fantastic.
(For some reason my spellchecker balks at sandability...oh well.)
That stuff is so thick, it needs a tip that large. It's an Iwata
LPH440-201.
I took it, all nice and clean to my buddy's booth as I needed to blow
some thanes on a few sheets of luan. I checked the Polycryl with a
viscosity cup and looked almost too thin for the 2.0 (IMHO, a 1.8
would have done it too). I wasn't about to dirty up his pot-fed
equipment. (Waterbased snot in HIS guns? He would have murderized me.)
It went on so nice even though I was using a LOT of air to blow that
snot apart.

I have revisited the same spray schedule since with the same
results.... and if it works, don't mess with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
[...]

I have had better luck spraying Fuhr water based products. I sprayed
polycrylic and it never leveled out as nicely as Fuhr.

Cm
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"cm" wrote in message
blueman wrote:
[...]

Especially if you're after that fuhrry look. :-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 10:28*am, "Max" wrote:
"cm" wrote in message

blueman wrote:
[...]

Ahw, fuhr crying out loud!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:29:37 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Nov 26, 10:28*am, "Max" wrote:
"cm" wrote in message

blueman wrote:
[...]

Poly-shades/crylic are a fuhr cry from decent finishes.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Nov 26, 10:28*am, "Max" wrote:
"cm" wrote in message

blueman wrote:
[...]

Those finishes are targeted at lazy people who want quick 'n dirty.
They excel at that job. French polish? Nope.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 27, 10:01*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

blueman wrote:
As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss
polyurethane.

FYI, polycrylic is not polyurethane. *It is acrylic and urethane is
*MUCH* harder and therefore scratch resistant.

Don't assume that harder means more scratch resistant.

Scratch resistance is one of the defining characteristics of hardness.

Not to get all 'clarke' about this, but tire rubber is, in terms of
hardness. very soft but very scratch resistant.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/10 11:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:01 am, wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

blueman wrote:
As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss
polyurethane.

FYI, polycrylic is not polyurethane. It is acrylic and urethane is
*MUCH* harder and therefore scratch resistant.

Don't assume that harder means more scratch resistant.

Scratch resistance is one of the defining characteristics of hardness.

Not to get all 'clarke' about this, but tire rubber is, in terms of
hardness. very soft but very scratch resistant.

You succeeded, though. :-)

"one of" not "the"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 27, 1:16*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/27/10 11:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On Nov 27, 10:01 am, *wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

blueman wrote:
As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss
polyurethane.

FYI, polycrylic is not polyurethane. *It is acrylic and urethane is
*MUCH* harder and therefore scratch resistant.

Don't assume that harder means more scratch resistant.

Scratch resistance is one of the defining characteristics of hardness.

Not to get all 'clarke' about this, but tire rubber is, in terms of
hardness. very soft but very scratch resistant.

You succeeded, though. * :-)

HEY!........ouch!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/10 12:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 27, 1:16 pm, wrote:
On 11/27/10 11:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On Nov 27, 10:01 am, wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

blueman wrote:
As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss
polyurethane.

FYI, polycrylic is not polyurethane. It is acrylic and urethane is
*MUCH* harder and therefore scratch resistant.

Don't assume that harder means more scratch resistant.

Scratch resistance is one of the defining characteristics of hardness.

Not to get all 'clarke' about this, but tire rubber is, in terms of
hardness. very soft but very scratch resistant.

You succeeded, though. :-)

HEY!........ouch!

Happy Thanksgiving! :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 27, 10:01 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

blueman wrote:
As a newbie to HVLP, I have encountered the following problem...
I am spraying Minwax (water-based) Polycrylic semi-gloss
polyurethane.

FYI, polycrylic is not polyurethane. It is acrylic and urethane is
*MUCH* harder and therefore scratch resistant.

Don't assume that harder means more scratch resistant.

Scratch resistance is one of the defining characteristics of hardness.

Not to get all 'clarke' about this, but tire rubber is, in terms of
hardness. very soft but very scratch resistant.

Hmm. I'll have to remember that the next time my wife scrubs a curb. {:-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy writes:

On Nov 24, 10:25Â*pm, blueman wrote:
[...]

Ahhh my HF gun comes with a 1.4 tip... and as I am just now learning
that may make it come out to thin though I'm not sure I understand the
mechanics of it. So perhaps that is part of the problem...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" writes:
[...]

- Do you know what model you have?
- What would I have to check to determine compatibility?
(beyond thread diameter and pitch)

Note--assume that the regulator that comes with the gun is dead, not
just with TCPglobal but HF as well--I've gotten one good one out of four
guns purchased.

Well the regulator "seems" to work in that at least I can dial up
different pressures... Were yours *totally* broken or just inaccurate?
(i.e. did you have to check against a pressure gauge to determine
whether or not it was working or could you just tell by the dial)

If the tip is too small then you pretty much have to thin.

Ahhh well I have the stock 1.4 tip so perhaps that is the problem...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike - I just want to thank you for your incredibly helpful inline
amazingly helpful and teachable. Just that your answers were so precise
and to the point that I felt the need to comment...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy writes:
On Nov 25, 3:46Â*am, "
wrote:

FWIW, I think Rob may be on to something. Â*MOST guns (not all) that
come with one tip use a 1.4 to 1.7 mm tip. Â*If you are in that range,
[...]

I think you have diagnosed it spot on. I didn't (and still don't fully)
understand how tip size works but you have pointed me in the right
direction.

I think the problem is finding other than non-stock 1.4 tip sizes for
this gun, though I have seen at least two alternative suggestions:
1. Buy a spare 1.4 tip and drill out the hole a little
2. Find a tip from other companies that fits...

Thanks for the pointers and experience!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy writes:
On Nov 25, 3:46Â*am, "
wrote:

[...]

OK - now that I am pretty convinced that I need more than my stock 1.4
tip, as a newbie and a hobbyist, what would be the most useful other
tips to order assuming I might want to spray latex paint, lacquer,
shellac, oil-based poly, primer (for wood)?

Specifically, before I start shelling out loads of money for all
possible sizes what 1 or 2 additional tips would give me a good range of
coverage assuming I already have the 1.4?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

Ahhh my HF gun comes with a 1.4 tip... and as I am just now learning
that may make it come out to thin though I'm not sure I understand the
mechanics of it. So perhaps that is part of the problem...

Nope - the tip does not make it come out thinner - smaller tips require
thinner material. For a 1.4mm tip you would want quite a thin material, or
it will not spray it well. Start adding more reducer (water for water bases
materials) and test shoot until you get a good pattern. Increment the
amount of reducer by 10% or so until you get t good, shootable mixture.
Keep note of how much reducer you are adding so that when you get to the
point where it's spraying well, you can reproduce that ratio of reducer to
material later on.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

Specifically, before I start shelling out loads of money for all
possible sizes what 1 or 2 additional tips would give me a good range
of coverage assuming I already have the 1.4?

I don't know what sizes are available for that gun, but anything in the
1.7-2.0mm range should be just fine. No need to buy more than one. You
really don't need a collection of them for "every conceivable" application.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:
blueman wrote:

Ahhh my HF gun comes with a 1.4 tip... and as I am just now learning
that may make it come out to thin though I'm not sure I understand the
mechanics of it. So perhaps that is part of the problem...

Nope - the tip does not make it come out thinner - smaller tips require
thinner material. For a 1.4mm tip you would want quite a thin material, or
it will not spray it well. Start adding more reducer (water for water bases
materials) and test shoot until you get a good pattern. Increment the
amount of reducer by 10% or so until you get t good, shootable mixture.
Keep note of how much reducer you are adding so that when you get to the
point where it's spraying well, you can reproduce that ratio of reducer to
material later on.

Does one that get into a bit of a paradox:
- Too thick means it doesn't atomize and coalesce properly
- Too thin means it sprays nicely but runs and sages unless coat is
applied thinly

Which would seem to mean that if I use my current tip, but thin then I
will have to put on more thinner coats.
While getting a wider tip would spare the need for adding reducer and
would allow me to apply a relatively thicker coat without sagging or
running.

Am I understanding this tradeoff properly?

Also, would having the right size tip and/or right viscosity typically
allow me to lower the HVLP inlet pressure (I now have it cranked up to
about 30psi but ideally, I know I could or should go a lot lower...).
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
"Mike Marlow" writes:
blueman wrote:

[...]

I tried to correct this misunderstanding of yours in a past post. You are
too worried about how thick you are spraying it on. Don't be. Spray it on
like a layer of plastic you are stretching across the base material. If it
takes 3 coats - it takes 3 coats. If it takes 10 coats, it takes 10 coats.
Follow the manufacturer's directions for overcoats and just keep building it
up as necessary. The only thing you need to think about is imagining that
you are stretching a piece of plastic over the surface you are painting, and
making your spray application do that. If you are getting runs and sags
(and don't worry about that - I *still* shoot some once in a while), then
you're moving too slowly. Practice on scrap. Hear me? Practice on scrap.

Which would seem to mean that if I use my current tip, but thin then I
will have to put on more thinner coats.

Yup. You got it. No problem with doing it that way.

While getting a wider tip would spare the need for adding reducer and
would allow me to apply a relatively thicker coat without sagging or
running.

And bring about other problems like shrinkage. There is no short cut to
doing it right. It sounds like you're looking for the one shot finish, and
that does not exist. Yes - a larger tip will put more down at once, but
then drying times extend, shrinkage enters into the picture, and if you do
run - you really run... or sag. It's more about technique than it is about
tip sizes. You really have to practice with that gun on scrap and get the
feel for it.

I just shot a bunch of primer through a detail gun. Would not lay on a
heavy build coat with the tip that I had. So... had to reduce the mixture
and shoot slower in order to get a good we coverage. Oh well. That's what
you do. If you are looking for the perfect tip for the perfect spray
material, on the perfect target - you're going to be very disappointed. Mix
up something your gun will shoot and.... practice.

Am I understanding this tradeoff properly?

Yes, but my fear (and I may be reading you wrong...) is that you're looking
for a silver bullet. Spray painting is all about adapting to the situation.
Humidity, temperature, viscosity, and a lot of other factors, enter in on
every single spray job. That's why I'm so adamant about pushing your to
experiment, learn your gun, and practice. You can overcome any issue with
spraying if you understand your gun.

Also, would having the right size tip and/or right viscosity typically
allow me to lower the HVLP inlet pressure (I now have it cranked up to
about 30psi but ideally, I know I could or should go a lot lower...).

Yes. The first thing you have to do is get the reduction such that your gun
can shoot it. So - reducing it to the point where you can get your pressure
down is very important. You don't really have HVLP anymore if you're
shooting at those high pressures. You're blasting more material into the
air than you realize. Might just as well grab a decent siphon gun and have
at it. So, once you get the reduction right - you know what I'm going to
say...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" writes:

blueman wrote:

Specifically, before I start shelling out loads of money for all
possible sizes what 1 or 2 additional tips would give me a good range
of coverage assuming I already have the 1.4?

I don't know what sizes are available for that gun, but anything in the
1.7-2.0mm range should be just fine. No need to buy more than one. You
really don't need a collection of them for "every conceivable" application.

Not to be too anal... but if in the future I hope to also shoot
semi-gloss Benjamin Moore Latex, would I be better off getting a 1.8 or
a 2.0 (or is the difference really too small to worry about...)

Easy HVLP water-based spraying of lacquer or poly blueman Woodworking 13 November 1st 10 01:32 AM
water based poly. Gary Woodworking 4 November 23rd 06 06:00 AM
HVLP spraying of oil based poly. Mark Woodworking 2 July 21st 06 01:54 PM
Water-based poly? Gary Fritz Woodworking 45 November 10th 04 10:18 PM
Water Based Sealer and Oil based Poly? James Murphy Home Repair 1 August 5th 03 07:10 AM