Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finished it today. (Last kitchen)

No more after this.
As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me)
I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion.
Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my
limit of granite overhang.
Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and
seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

All my orders are filled, just taking cnc projects from now on. I might
take on a vanity or something challenging.

Then I am going to try my hand at some of these designs...damn they make
beautiful things:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.html
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote

Then I am going to try my hand at some of these designs...damn they make
beautiful things:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.html

Nice. That Series 2 stuff reminds me of Bhutanese architecture.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/10 3:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

If someone told me they were going to make a black kitchen island, I
would make a very funny face. Having seen yours, my preconception
goes right down that drain in its corner.

Beautiful work, my friend.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2010 3:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:
No more after this.
As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me)
I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion.
Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my
limit of granite overhang.
Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and
seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

That is, indeed, a helluva cantilever!

Exceptionally well done! ... did you do the cabinets also?

.... and face frame cabinets, with a Euro look!!

I'm getting sick of preaching to designers/clients that you _can_ get
that "Euro" look with face frame cabinets ( ... I _hate_ frameless,
everything to do with them!)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

Beautiful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If someone told me they were going to make a black kitchen island, I
would make a very funny face. *Having seen yours, my preconception
goes right down that drain in its corner.

I've been in the planning stages for an island in my little kitchen
and have been keeping an eye on designs. I have noticed it is almost
the rule lately that the island contrasts the cabinetry. Natural wood
island with painted cabs, white painted island with cherry cabs, etc.
Even many\most with different types of doors and details than the
cabinets.

I have maple cabs and think I'll go with a white island. It will
compliment my white built-ins and fireplace surround in the adjoining
living room and baseboards throughout.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 22, 6:40*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 9/22/2010 3:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:

No more after this.
As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me)
I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion.
Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my
limit of granite overhang.
Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and
seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

That is, indeed, a helluva cantilever!

That particular type of granite (Ice Brown) has a wild pattern to it
and is therefore very fissure prone. The stonecutter that I have used
for years, now lays up an aramid fibre web underneath the whole slab
which gives it excellent strength, but in one direction only, like a
flat tambour. You could pick up the slab at four corners and have
somebody jump on the middle without a problem. Take the corbels away,
and it could just flop over without a whole lot of help...maybe. It's
that maybe we try to stave off.

Exceptionally well done! ... did you do the cabinets also?

Why thank you, kind sir.

Yes and no. My spec, my methods, all 32 mm, in my old, old shop. I
NGR'd the island bits and nitro/cat lacquered it. I subbed out the
white.
Others assembled and I supervised the install.

... and face frame cabinets, with a Euro look!!

I sure like that combo too, and I will get you some detail pics on how
we did some of that. Faceframe is furniture.

I'm getting sick of preaching to designers/clients that you _can_ get
that "Euro" look with face frame cabinets ( ... I _hate_ frameless,
everything to do with them!)

Frameless has its place. Cheap and dirty and fast. Front-end
capitalization to do it competitively is a bit steep, stuff like edge-
banders and all that frickin trimming. And, unless you used pvc pre-
coloured, you still need to finish all those edges. The **** has no
class.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 22, 5:38*pm, "Max" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

Then I am going to try my hand at some of these designs...damn they make
beautiful things:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.html

Nice. *That Series 2 stuff reminds me of Bhutanese architecture.

Max

Thankee, Max!

I love that style. Nicest look I have seen in a long time. It can even
co-exist with Mission/Metropolitan styles, imho.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 22, 6:18*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/22/10 3:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

If someone told me they were going to make a black kitchen island, I
would make a very funny face. *Having seen yours, my preconception
goes right down that drain in its corner.

Beautiful work, my friend.

Thank you, Mike. But rest assured that your apprehension is very valid
as one needs the right space to pull it off. Read: LOTS of room.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 22, 7:53*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

Beautiful.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/10 7:51 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 22, 6:18 pm, wrote:
On 9/22/10 3:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

If someone told me they were going to make a black kitchen island, I
would make a very funny face. Having seen yours, my preconception
goes right down that drain in its corner.

Beautiful work, my friend.

Thank you, Mike. But rest assured that your apprehension is very valid
as one needs the right space to pull it off. Read: LOTS of room.

All that sunlight helps, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
No more after this.
As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me)
I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion.
Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my
limit of granite overhang.
Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and
seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

Very Nice! I especially appreciate the island. My wife and I just got the
ball rolling for our new home, she gets the sewing studio in the loft, I get
the 3 car shop.

But back to the island, our kitchen and bathrooms will have the same dark
almost black cabinets and a salt and pepper granite counter top in the
kitchen.

Now I know how that is going to look. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:38:34 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote

Then I am going to try my hand at some of these designs...damn they make
beautiful things:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.html

Nice. That Series 2 stuff reminds me of Bhutanese architecture.

Or a New Age meets Craftsman.

One of my favorites: http://www.furnituremaker.com/

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:59:19 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

No more after this.
As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me)
I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion.
Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my
limit of granite overhang.
Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and
seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

All my orders are filled, just taking cnc projects from now on. I might
take on a vanity or something challenging.

Congrats on your re'tarment.

What are you doing in the CNC realm so far, Toy?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 23, 8:57*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:38:34 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote

Then I am going to try my hand at some of these designs...damn they make
beautiful things:

http://www.greendesigns.com/index.html

Nice. *That Series 2 stuff reminds me of Bhutanese architecture.

Or a New Age meets Craftsman.

One of my favorites:http://www.furnituremaker.com/

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

He is amazing. A little bizzy for my tastes, but beautiful stuff
still.

Maybe he's related to Neil. (who was in town, yes Sarnia, recently and
proceeded to blow 22,000 people away.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
No more after this.
As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me)
I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion.
Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my
limit of granite overhang.
Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and
seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

All my orders are filled, just taking cnc projects from now on. I might
take on a vanity or something challenging.

Congrats on your re'tarment.

Thank you.

What are you doing in the CNC realm so far, Toy?

A few hundred round plastic discs with holes and numbers for some
farmer who is going to hang them off a bunch of cattle's ears.

Then a 4' x 8' image of a cartoon-like bee for a honey place and a
64' (feet) sign for same out of plexi.
Then a bunch of 32 mm panels. Tomorrow a coat of arms in 3D. Then
build another one of these plasma stands:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/TuToneAV.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

He is amazing. A little bizzy for my tastes, but beautiful stuff
still.

Really nice guy too. Offers lots of classes at other peoples
facilities and shares all of his knowledge and secrets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

He is amazing. A little bizzy for my tastes, but beautiful stuff
still.

Can also buy plans of some of his designs from that guy who sells
plans and has a contest every year with a Griz TS as the grand prize.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 06:29:06 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
No more after this.
As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me)
I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion.
Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my
limit of granite overhang.
Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and
seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...astKitchen.jpg

All my orders are filled, just taking cnc projects from now on. I might
take on a vanity or something challenging.

Congrats on your re'tarment.

Thank you.

What are you doing in the CNC realm so far, Toy?

A few hundred round plastic discs with holes and numbers for some
farmer who is going to hang them off a bunch of cattle's ears.

Faskinatin', wot?

Then a 4' x 8' image of a cartoon-like bee for a honey place and a
64' (feet) sign for same out of plexi.
Then a bunch of 32 mm panels. Tomorrow a coat of arms in 3D.

OK, now we're getting into the fun stuff.

Then
build another one of these plasma stands:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/TuToneAV.jpg

What materials are those made from? Wood and black solid surface?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 23, 7:28*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 06:29:06 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

*bowing my head in shame*
..
..
..
..
..
..
UniBoard melamine and laminate.
It was an exercise in material usage and adaptability. The key issue
was to hide all them frickin' wires. This one will take 60" up to 300#
and still slide comfortable away from the wall. Some options include
powerbars and surge protectors. One comes with genuine Variac power
conditioning. I _can_ make them from quality veneers and solid surface/
quartz but I keep trying to bring these in under $2K. All the tool-
pathing has been done. One bit change, and 3 sheets of whatever. All
the cut-offs turn into ribbing which are all set up for wire chases.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:16:06 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Sep 23, 7:28*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
What materials are those made from? *Wood and black solid surface?

*bowing my head in shame*
.
.
.
.
.
.
UniBoard melamine and laminate.

OMFG!

It was an exercise in material usage and adaptability. The key issue
was to hide all them frickin' wires. This one will take 60" up to 300#
and still slide comfortable away from the wall. Some options include
powerbars and surge protectors. One comes with genuine Variac power
conditioning. I _can_ make them from quality veneers and solid surface/
quartz but I keep trying to bring these in under $2K.

WHAT? You're getting a couple grand for glorified melamine MDF board?
I'm in the wrong freakin' business. (I thought that looked something
like a SketchUp grain rather than real woodgrain.)

All the tool-
pathing has been done. One bit change, and 3 sheets of whatever. All
the cut-offs turn into ribbing which are all set up for wire chases.

Cool.

What's your CNC setup, again?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 23, 8:31*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:16:06 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Sep 23, 7:28*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

General 4 x 8 Elte Spindle 3HP with 3Phase VFD.

http://www.generalcnc.ca/cnc_for_production
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:44:57 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Sep 23, 8:31*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
What's your CNC setup, again?

General 4 x 8 Elte Spindle 3HP with 3Phase VFD.

http://www.generalcnc.ca/cnc_for_production

He's a big boy. (Sounds expensive.) I'll bet it's fun to work with.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 23, 11:33*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:44:57 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:31*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
What's your CNC setup, again?

General 4 x 8 Elte Spindle 3HP with 3Phase VFD.

http://www.generalcnc.ca/cnc_for_production

He's a big boy. (Sounds expensive.) *I'll bet it's fun to work with.

I'm glad I bought the size I did, thatsafursure. One thing I did
learn, is when one makes the commitment to buy one, one must allow a
non-productive time in order to tackle the learning curve. It is not
nearly as bad as I want my customers to believe, but a solid knowledge
of vector editing and file-conversion is essential. The boys at
Vectric have created an incredible piece of software that would have
cost $10,000 not too long ago. Their Aspire package is insanely
powerful and relatively friendly to use.
Owning a cnc without a package like that forces one to grow a brain
like Morris's and who wants that? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:44:57 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:31*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
What's your CNC setup, again?

General 4 x 8 Elte Spindle 3HP with 3Phase VFD.

http://www.generalcnc.ca/cnc_for_production

He's a big boy. (Sounds expensive.) *I'll bet it's fun to work with.

I'm glad I bought the size I did, thatsafursure. One thing I did
learn, is when one makes the commitment to buy one, one must allow a

2nd mortgage required?

non-productive time in order to tackle the learning curve.

How many months?

It is not
nearly as bad as I want my customers to believe, but a solid knowledge
of vector editing and file-conversion is essential.

Ah should whup on Corel some more first, y'reckon? I just picked up
X5, upgading from v3 to v9, then to X5 over the years. I don't yet
have my Wacom tablet set up in Win7, but I might do that this weekend
while I let my bod rest. (I can't keep up this pace or a limb will
surely fall off.)

What formats are you finding most common to be converted to/from, Toy?

The boys at
Vectric have created an incredible piece of software that would have
cost $10,000 not too long ago. Their Aspire package is insanely
powerful and relatively friendly to use.

It looks pretty nice. Is it a fully-3D CAD/CAM package?

Owning a cnc without a package like that forces one to grow a brain
like Morris's and who wants that? G

Cat's got brains? Or do you mean that smoky guy, Philip Morris? Or
that wonderful artistic guy, William Morris? Oh, you mean that
strapping young DIY CNCer of Stirling reputation from EyeOhWay,
don'tcha? Señor Dovey. Yeah, who wants _that_?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:44:57 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:31*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
What's your CNC setup, again?

General 4 x 8 Elte Spindle 3HP with 3Phase VFD.

http://www.generalcnc.ca/cnc_for_production

He's a big boy. (Sounds expensive.) *I'll bet it's fun to work with.

I'm glad I bought the size I did, thatsafursure. One thing I did
learn, is when one makes the commitment to buy one, one must allow a

2nd mortgage required?

Pricing from Shopbot is in a similar vein as General:
http://www.shopbottools.com/PriceList.pdf
So figure on the best part of $30K. If you want tool changers, vacuum
table, aggregate head, double that.
Minimum config should include a spindle as opposed to a universal
motor. Regular routers were never designed to run for 8 hours
straight. (Something that can happen in 3D work.
As to the mortgage? Depends on the depth of the boot where you keep
your cash.

non-productive time in order to tackle the learning curve.

How many months?

Impossible to answer. Simple V-carving should not take you more than a
couple of days to figure out. 3D from scratch takes a lot longer. I
tend to look at each job and work backwards from there. Due to the
incredible depth of Vectric Aspire, I would hazard to guess that it
could years to be proficient in all of its capabilities.
Point is, you look at a job, open Aspire and work it out. You learn in
a couple of days THAT particular operation. So now you know how to,
let's say, to make a letter with beveled edges 2" thick.
Next! (and so it goes. I only learn what I need.)

But, when I bought mine, I didn't quit my regular work. (The tax write-
offs are enough to make you smile)

It is not
nearly as bad as I want my customers to believe, but a solid knowledge
of vector editing and file-conversion is essential.

Ah should whup on Corel some more first, y'reckon? *I just picked up
X5, upgading from v3 to v9, then to X5 over the years. *I don't yet
have my Wacom tablet set up in Win7, but I might do that this weekend
while I let my bod rest. *(I can't keep up this pace or a limb will
surely fall off.)

What formats are you finding most common to be converted to/from, Toy?

I use Vectorworks because I have used for 20+ years. For simple 2D, I
now use Aspire or Illustrator.
So if you speak bezier, you've got unlimited potential.
But I find more and more ways to stay in Aspire as it reveals its
abilities.
So CorelDraw and an export to a vector-based PDF works tits!

3D is whole different deal. Imports .dwg and coulour jpegs... that is
an insane range. Play with Aspire's tutorials. That shows you that the
Z (thickness dimension) can get its data from a greyscale. White is
high, black is low with the min and max determined by the material
thickness.

The boys at
Vectric have created an incredible piece of software that would have
cost $10,000 not too long ago. Their Aspire package is insanely
powerful and relatively friendly to use.

It looks pretty nice. *Is it a fully-3D CAD/CAM package?

Close. But all you need to create stuff your cnc will understand. True
3D will show you detail from all directions, in the cnc world, there
is always the table to get in the way, iow, your router can't cut from
the bottom upwards unless you flip your work.

Owning a cnc without a package like that forces one to grow a brain
like Morris's and who wants that? G

Cat's got brains? *Or do you mean that smoky guy, Philip Morris? Or
that wonderful artistic guy, William Morris? *Oh, you mean that
strapping young DIY CNCer of Stirling reputation from EyeOhWay,
don'tcha? *Señor Dovey. *Yeah, who wants _that_?

No cats, no smoke, no talent agent. Just the Iowain. (Iowanonian?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

2nd mortgage required?

Pricing from Shopbot is in a similar vein as General:
http://www.shopbottools.com/PriceList.pdf
So figure on the best part of $30K. If you want tool changers, vacuum
table, aggregate head, double that.
Minimum config should include a spindle as opposed to a universal
motor. Regular routers were never designed to run for 8 hours
straight. (Something that can happen in 3D work.
As to the mortgage? Depends on the depth of the boot where you keep
your cash.

Hayull, ah cain't even afford _boots_.

non-productive time in order to tackle the learning curve.

How many months?

Impossible to answer. Simple V-carving should not take you more than a
couple of days to figure out. 3D from scratch takes a lot longer. I
tend to look at each job and work backwards from there. Due to the
incredible depth of Vectric Aspire, I would hazard to guess that it
could years to be proficient in all of its capabilities.
Point is, you look at a job, open Aspire and work it out. You learn in
a couple of days THAT particular operation. So now you know how to,
let's say, to make a letter with beveled edges 2" thick.
Next! (and so it goes. I only learn what I need.)

Grok that. It's the same method I used for Photoshop and Corel.
Illustrator is so blasted UNintuitive that I get too frustrated (every
time I attempt to use it) to ever _want_ to use it. Arrrrrrrrrgh!

But, when I bought mine, I didn't quit my regular work. (The tax write-
offs are enough to make you smile)

Yeah, I can imagine.

What formats are you finding most common to be converted to/from, Toy?

I use Vectorworks because I have used for 20+ years. For simple 2D, I
now use Aspire or Illustrator.
So if you speak bezier, you've got unlimited potential.
But I find more and more ways to stay in Aspire as it reveals its
abilities.
So CorelDraw and an export to a vector-based PDF works tits!

Excellent. Speaking of which, I just loaded Adobe Creative Suite and
Acro Pro v6 took over Reader v9 in my browser. I think I'll need to
reload the reader so PDFs open up online. sigh

3D is whole different deal. Imports .dwg and coulour jpegs... that is
an insane range. Play with Aspire's tutorials. That shows you that the
Z (thickness dimension) can get its data from a greyscale. White is
high, black is low with the min and max determined by the material
thickness.

Yeah, I saw that and think it's great and interesting.

The boys at
Vectric have created an incredible piece of software that would have
cost $10,000 not too long ago. Their Aspire package is insanely
powerful and relatively friendly to use.

Now if they could only master headsets so their tutorial speaker
doesn't keep blowing out his mike. It makes the audio painful to
listen to. Given the program's price and their otherwise professional
demeanor, I'm surprised that they didn't nuke those original vids and
make decent ones.

It looks pretty nice. *Is it a fully-3D CAD/CAM package?

Close. But all you need to create stuff your cnc will understand. True
3D will show you detail from all directions, in the cnc world, there
is always the table to get in the way, iow, your router can't cut from
the bottom upwards unless you flip your work.

What, you have only a single-sided gantry? Only 3 axes?

Owning a cnc without a package like that forces one to grow a brain
like Morris's and who wants that? G

Cat's got brains? *Or do you mean that smoky guy, Philip Morris? Or
that wonderful artistic guy, William Morris? *Oh, you mean that
strapping young DIY CNCer of Stirling reputation from EyeOhWay,
don'tcha? *Señor Dovey. *Yeah, who wants _that_?

No cats, no smoke, no talent agent. Just the Iowain. (Iowanonian?)

Hokay. Ta!

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London